35 Winchester

truck driver

Ammo Smith
Mar 11, 2013
I was cleaning up my reloading bench mainly putting unused powder away to make room for other things and I uncovered my first reloading manual The 75th Anniversary edition of the Lyman Ideal Handbook #39 which was printed in 1953. How I came about this manual I'm not sure because I was only 4 years old when it was printed. Any ways with all this talk about old cartridges I leafed threw it to see what was being loaded back in the day and came across the 35 Winchester. Here's some specs from the manual,
Case length with bullet: 3.156"
Length case only: 2.406"
Diameter of rim: .539"
Diameter of base: .457"
Diameter of shoulder: .412"
Diameter of neck: .378
The old manual shows loads for lead gas check bullets and jacketed bullets up to 250gr.
There's loads for Unique pistol powder and rifle powders.
The 250gr jacketed bullets start at 1740fps with 2400 and tops out at 2320fps with IMR 3031. It will out run the 348 WW with the 250gr bullet by 100fps.
If I remember right I used this manual when I first started loading the 22 Hornet which was my second center fire rifle and first one I loaded for.
The old manual is heavy on cast bullet reloading and has tons of info on old molds and bullet designs.
But since there are alot of .35 caliber fans here I thought I would post this one and see if anyone knows anything else about it and what rifles Winchester chambered it for? Seems a little long for a Lever action but I don't know that much about the old Winchesters unless it was chambered in the 1895 that Teddy Roosevelt loved in .405.

I have that manual along with #s 37 and 38. Picked them up at a gun show for $15.00. Included with them was the first edition cast bullet handbook in very mint condition. I've seen that last book sell for over $100 on Evil Bay and was in a lot worse condition than mine. Bought them to get the cast bullet book as my copy bought when it came out was just a little worse for wear. Well, maybe a lot worse for wear.
Lot's of interesting stuff in those older manuals, especially if one is a cast bullet shooter.
Paul B.

I think Lyman Ideal was the only source for cast bullet and black powder loading back in the day and if you were into either they were your Huckleberry. :mrgreen:

Back