350 Rem Mag---35 whelen

FOTIS

Range Officer
Staff member
Oct 30, 2004
A buddy is thinking about getting one. Questions...

1. Rem 673 or Ruger 77? Around here I have heard nothing good (accuracy wise) on the 673 and nothing at all on the 77 good or bad.

2. What bullet for deer and elk? The 225 Nosler BT has been discontinued and it was too long in the first place. Even if they make an AccuBond it will be too long I am sure. He can use the 225 PT -----any loads?

Or is he better off with a whelen. Any diff in performance?

What say thee?

If it were me I'd get a model 7 CDL in 350 mag. A friend has a 35 whelen and shoots 225 gr. sierra's out of it. Kills deer like crazy. I have no idea about the load. I know another fella that uses 250 gr. speer's out of his 350 mag. He says it kills deer dead right now, and he also uses it on florida hogs.

Pop,

I have a M700 Classic in 35 Whelen with a Leupols VXIII 2.5x8 scope
and have used it to kill 17 WT deer and a black bear.
To answer your questions:

1. I have never seen a Remington that wouldn't shoot. I would think that the M673 with a trigger job and some good handloads would shoot MOA.

2. The 225 gr BT has been replaced by the 225 gr AB which is due out later this year. This will be an excellent bullet for the 35 Whelen and the 350 RM. I got excellent accuracy with the Seirra 225 gr BT, including several that made a single ragged hole. For hunting, I used the 225 gr PT with excellent results.
The 35 Whelen hits vary hard and always leaves a nice exit hole. The 2-3 deer that ran only went 30-40 yds and the blood trail was very heavy.
IMR4064 56.0 grs and Accurate 2015BR 54.0 grs with the 225 gr PT are both excellent powders.

Also keep in mind that
-35 Whelen and the 350 RM are ballistic twins
-35 Whelen cases can be formed from 30-06
-magazine capacity for the 35 Whelen is 4+1 vs 350 RM 3+1

Go with the 35 Whelen and don't look back.

Regards,

JD338

I have a 350 and love it, but I think he'd be better off with the whelen. I actually have an origional 1966 model 600 with the 18.5 inch barrel. It is an ultrafast lightweight flame thrower that works great with the 225 PT bullet. That bullet, however, is almost too long to fit properly in the case and still be inside of the max OAL to fit in the magazine. If I were choosing between the two in a new rifle I would follow JD338's advice and go for the Whelen. At least he would be able to shoot longer bullets, ie the AccuBond or the 250 PT, if that were desired.

I have a 700 Classic in 350, Love the rifle. The magazine has been repalce with a longer one and I can seat the bullets out to about 2.910. With the 22" barrel and the lignt weight of the classic I think that it will make a nice packing rifle, withthe limb save pad makes a fun shooing rifle, this will be my first season packin it.

I have a ruger 77 allweather in 350 mag. Great rifle. extremely accurate sub 1/2 inch if I do my part. The mag and chamber will handle out to 2.900 oal. I have not played with nosler bulets yet. The first load I picked was 225 sierra. I was in awe of the acuracy so I stuck with it. I am using 57.2 grains of IMR4320. This load does a number on whitetail. For big critters I will try parttions or accubonds if they make them soon.

A while back I was looking at the same 2 options in a new rifle. I couldn't decide on the 350 or the 35. When I finally made up my mind I went with a CZ 550 American in 9.3x62. WOW, what a caliber, and the rifle is so accurate it is down right scary. Cheap too, less than $600 with scope rings included.

9.jpg

steve4102":qd4n68u8 said:
A while back I was looking at the same 2 options in a new rifle. I couldn't decide on the 350 or the 35. When I finally made up my mind I went with a CZ 550 American in 9.3x62. WOW, what a caliber, and the rifle is so accurate it is down right scary. Cheap too, less than $600 with scope rings included.

9.jpg

Actually I thought about the 9.3. problem is I am a tinkerer at heart and the 35's do have way more options for toying around with. Like 357 mag pistol bullets and Unique! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I have a Rem 760 that started out as a 35 rem. some time before I got it it was chambered for 35 whelen. I shoot 250 parts for Elk and bear at 2500 fps and it kills real fast. for blacktail i load a rem 200 rn cl at 2600 fps. great deer load. I found the 225 bt to long for my gun to eject an unfired round.

Back