358Win Hawkeye Is Here - Range Report Starts Soon

bullet

Handloader
Dec 26, 2007
Well it is finally here and some pictures of the rifle. I will start the range report this afternoon or tomorrow if weather permits me to do so. Well, it begins, the story of Mr. Magic. Sure hope I name this thing right.

IMG_8027.jpg

IMG_8028.jpg

IMG_8029.jpg

IMG_8030.jpg

IMG_8035.jpg

IMG_8031.jpg

IMG_8033.jpg

IMG_8034.jpg

nice looking rifle. hope i never have tpo look at the business end of that again. very impressive.

I hope it shoots as well as mine does. Sweet setup you have there.

Mr. Magic uh??? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Lookin good there!.......That 1.5x5 Leupy is a perfect set up for the 358 and looks very good on that rifle; low profile, simple and is clean looking.

If you can zero in on a milk carton at 300 yards at 5x as you say you`ve done, no need for a higher variable for hunting.

Identical to mine, except I have the #4 reticle.

Well it is not an Weatherby Accumark or Custom but it is what it is for work 300yds and under. The velocities were not where I want them but I am not at max loads yet since this is the first time I have ever load for the 358Win.

I got fair accuracy for a hunting rifle but I will change charges and primers going to Fed 215 instead of 210. WW748 to slow as is IMR4895 and accuracy was not that good. I will be going to up my charges and get close to max with IMR4320, Accurate 2495 and Varget.

1. Varget
IMG_8036.jpg

IMG_8037.jpg

IMG_8038.jpg

2.IMR4320
IMG_8039.jpg

IMG_8040.jpg

IMG_8041.jpg

3. Accurate 2495
IMG_8043.jpg

IMG_8044.jpg

IMG_8045.jpg

Group size .946"
IMG_8046.jpg

bullet,

Nice looking rig. I am sure you will get the velocity and accuracy level you desire, just might take some work.
Put a 225 gr PT where it needs to be and you will see the "magic". :wink:

JD338

Not bad for a first outing really. What bullets were you using?

BY the way. If you're not happy with it at some point you might want to try it free-floated. Use some shims and raise the action from the stock without grinding the pressure point off.

JD338":3qka5dbs said:
bullet,

Nice looking rig. I am sure you will get the velocity and accuracy level you desire, just might take some work.
Put a 225 gr PT where it needs to be and you will see the "magic". :wink:

JD338

My 225gr Partitions have not come yet, but they will be in the mix no doubt.

POP":21w2tpvl said:
Not bad for a first outing really. What bullets were you using?

BY the way. If you're not happy with it at some point you might want to try it free-floated. Use some shims and raise the action from the stock without grinding the pressure point off.

Using 225gr Sierra's at the moment but will be trying 225gr Patitions. I will not be trying the 200gr or 225gr TSX. Unless I use a TSX in a 416 or 458 I will not use them anymore. So the Partition when they come will do my hard large work.

Antelope_Sniper":1qgdljry said:
Not a bad start.
I'm sure you will get there bullet, it just takes time.

You are right that it takes some time depending on the rifle and cartridge. I am already loaded for my next try, just finished matter of fact, but the weather will not be right until next week where I live. I have a saying that I have to remember at times like this - "inch by inch it is a sync but yard by yard it is to hard"

I know that feeling. I got my results, and figured out what I want to try next before I've even made it home. Sometime's I've even been know to do two a days....Morning at the range, back home to load again, back to the range to shoot until the sun goes down. Can't wait until spring and it gets just a little bit warmer. It's supposed to snow this weekend, but heck, i migt go shoot anyway. At least I'll have the range all to myself.

There's something about the 358 I just like. I guess it's that big 225gr bullet in a .308 sized package. Since you put the perfect scope on it, that just makes it all the more intriging. Too bad you don't live a little closer, I'd load you a bit of my H335 to try in it.

Antelope_Sniper":2mq5bi19 said:
I know that feeling. I got my results, and figured out what I want to try next before I've even made it home. Sometime's I've even been know to do two a days....Morning at the range, back home to load again, back to the range to shoot until the sun goes down. Can't wait until spring and it gets just a little bit warmer. It's supposed to snow this weekend, but heck, i migt go shoot anyway. At least I'll have the range all to myself.

There's something about the 358 I just like. I guess it's that big 225gr bullet in a .308 sized package. Since you put the perfect scope on it, that just makes it all the more intriging. Too bad you don't live a little closer, I'd load you a bit of my H335 to try in it.

Thanks for the thought anyway.

Antelope_Sniper":10c8zgpr said:

Sombody told me that since it's cold, that only means you dont have to wait so long for the barrel to cool
1181.gif

Good looking gun Bullet.
JDMAG

Well, as God is my witness (and I know what He says about all liars). I just shot one of the best groups of my life if not the best with an out of the box Ruger Hawkeye in 358Win.

The trigger on this New Ruger Hawkeye is absolutely great as good as the one on my Mark V Custom. In fact it out shot my Mark V Custom.

I will post the worst group today which was with Varget at 2491fps and one that represents other groups and powders I use today and then the best group using 46.5grs of Accurate 2495 with 215 Fed primers (that do make a difference) and Winchester brass with the 225gr Sierra HPBT and OAL was 2.7695" moving 2392fps

IMG_8053.jpg

IMG_8048.jpg

This was 2495 using 46grs, I started to write the wrong thing on this target.
IMG_8054.jpg

Best three shot group and I will let you subtract the bore
IMG_8051.jpg

IMG_8052.jpg

Bullet,

Where did you find a 35 calibre pencil?

That is some fine shooting. That is certainly worth bragging about. I would think that the Hawkeye is worth keeping. I haven't tried 2495, but you can be certain that I'll be picking some up to try today.

Back