375 H&H vs Wild Boar

LD375

Handloader
May 18, 2009
Long story short, I came up empty this fall for moose :roll: ...But well take out my frustration on some Quebec wild boar on December 28Th :twisted: ..next to moose, this is my favourite tasting game meat :grin: ..Heck, it's gonna be easy, but I'm just gonna do some bullet testing with my brother :grin:

375 H&H 300gr nosler Partition
7mm Rem Mag 150gr swift scirocco II's

Major overkill, but that's ok! :twisted:
Lou

Lou,

Sounds like a great plan.
Fresh pork is my favorite.

JD338

Go get 'em, Lou. Slammin' ham has to be great at that time of year.

DrMike":2eyhlkf0 said:
Go get 'em, Lou. Slammin' ham has to be great at that time of year.

Thanks Mike and Jim :grin: ..I like the meat, and it's only a 6 hour drive, and cheap too :) ..I told my brother to keep the 270wsm home (since it's already seen blood)..he well be using my 7 mag, and I'll be launching that big 300gr PT on a 150lb Boar :twisted: ..should be some nice chops and sausage too :)

Lou

Plenty of pictures. Did not know Canada had pigs.

I love boar hunting, Go get em! Nothing better then some wild boar chops. I cant wait to get my 45-70 then to take it out for some boars. That 375 should knock em flat. Where do they have boars up thst way?

FOTIS":g9oo320x said:
Plenty of pictures. Did not know Canada had pigs.

I encounter feral hogs occasionally up here, Fotis. They are considered Class B pests, and can be shot when found. However, there are several places that actually have Russian boars running around. I've been aware on two occasions of encountering these beasties here. I'm aware of several farmed hunts for these critters in Alberta. They do escape from time-to-time.

Very cool Lou! That should be a great way to stock up the freezer buddy! Plus, live bullet testing is always the best. Darned shredded milk jugs taste like crap!

Good luck on the hunt Lou, hog hunting seems like it would be a lot of fun and by the sounds of it they are great table fare.

gerry":u8cre7ad said:
Good luck on the hunt Lou, hog hunting seems like it would be a lot of fun and by the sounds of it they are great table fare.

They are awesome table fare for sure, espeacialy wild boar sausage :grin: ..We used to have wild boar preserves here in Ontario, I've shot 2 with bow and arrow, and the meat was awesome!..But they have since banned the hunt about 5-6 yrs ago, so we're off to Quebec, just south of Montreal. They also have Red Stag and Buffalo as well 8) ..Shots well be very close though, heck maybe 50yds or so, but it's a day out with my bro, and my buddy Mike. I well also try to video some kill shots as well 8)

Lou

Lou - I like the close shots. I get a rush from stalking close to an animal, particularly if there's at least some element of danger involved, and placing the shot well. Boar & bear hunting meets that for me. It's been a long time since I've hunted wild hogs, we don't seem to have any in Washington, or very few. I think the small number of them loose on the Olympic Peninsula a few years ago got wiped out in short order. Or they've learned how to live and hide in the rain forest...

Boars & bears at close range. That's good stuff. Hoping to see some good photos and maybe a video too!

Best of luck on the hunt, and ENJOY!

Guy

SJB358":h0oq9tpp said:
Very cool Lou! That should be a great way to stock up the freezer buddy! Plus, live bullet testing is always the best. Darned shredded milk jugs taste like crap!

Yup, should be fun Scotty!..My family enjoys pork for sure, and I'm off for 2 weeks for x-mas, so everything is cool :) .I'll be about 1/2 hour north of the USA border, it well be great meat, and some time afield with my brother too :grin: ..we're now going on December 21st..Heck, I just want to break these 2 new rifles in pal :twisted:
Still have lots of Moose meat, but pork is good too :wink: :twisted:

Lou

Yeah, I'd love a good bunch of pig for the freezer. Never had a bunch of wild hog but it sounds tasty.

SJB358":21nxm9ep said:
Yeah, I'd love a good bunch of pig for the freezer. Never had a bunch of wild hog but it sounds tasty.

Scotty, I've had plenty of deer,bear and moose,and caibou too, heck, there all tasty pal :) ..but wildboar is something else!..I need to get blood on the 375H&H and 300gr PT's pal :twisted: ..The wildboars average about 180#, and I well try to video tape the (shot)..I'm looking forward to it for sure :twisted:

I have other plans coming up for the 375, but need to break her in first :wink:
Lou

If we had them here I'd be all over hunting them. Only a few weeks away now till the 375 speaks...... :)

Lou i shot a 250 Lb WILD Boar here in BC on a friends farm near Armstrong years ago - he raised them and sold them to BOW Shooters only - I stuck him with a carbon arrow with a 100 gr MUZZY retractable sent out there at 315 fps from a 80 lb High Country bow at 20 yards ! It just exited out the far side with a double lunged shot ! :shock: The hide on him was tuff as H*LL and a good 3/8 " thick ! He was good eating (3 YRS old) all dark meat ! :grin:

Cheers :) RJ

Sako 85":1kcz9l2q said:
SJB358":1kcz9l2q said:

Scotty, I've had plenty of deer,bear and moose,and caibou too, heck, there all tasty pal :) ..but wildboar is something else!..I need to get blood on the 375H&H and 300gr PT's pal :twisted: ..The wildboars average about 180#, and I well try to video tape the (shot)..I'm looking forward to it for sure :twisted:

I have other plans coming up for the 375, but need to break her in first :wink:
Lou

I'd really like to get into a good bunch of hog meat. It shouldn't be hard living here in the East, but they have evaded me so far...

Back