Back to Newfoundland for Moose

That's pretty sweet Charlie. Hope you smoke a moose with the 45-70. I'd really like to pound one with the 348 Winchester or 45-70. Both of those seem like they are destined to hunt moose.

Which bullet are you using for moose in your 45-70?

Charlie-NY":137fjoa8 said:
I must say that our entire group gets more excited each month as our Newfoundland hunt approaches. I've been shooting every week at our 300yd range and feel pretty confident in both of my rifles.
Even the Marlin 1895SBL 45-70 will put every bullet in a group < 3.5" at 300yds. That should be more than adequate considering our outfitter told us that shot opportunities are typically around 200yds. I could probably leave the 338 RUM at home; but I won't! LOL

That is fine accuracy with the 45-70; it would appear that you are handling it as it was meant to be handled. Yeah, I'd say that will work for moose. It is great to see the old battle cartridge given opportunity to show what it can do.

SJB358":1o84or5u said:
That's pretty sweet Charlie. Hope you smoke a moose with the 45-70. I'd really like to pound one with the 348 Winchester or 45-70. Both of those seem like they are destined to hunt moose.

Currently using a 425gr BearTooth "PileDriver" bullet, chrono'd the other day at 1,800 ft/sec. The Speer 400gr JSP shoots slightly better and is a good alternative if expansion is desirable. Either one should put the slapdown on any Newfoundland moose but I'm leaning towards the hardcast PileDriver bullet. Most 45-70 aficionados swear by these bullets.
I've got some Nosler 300gr Partitions in stock too but they seem to be more valuable than bullion lately. :lol:

Charlie-NY":265js9c8 said:
SJB358":265js9c8 said:

Currently using a 425gr BearTooth "PileDriver" bullet, chrono'd the other day at 1,800 ft/sec. The Speer 400gr JSP shoots slightly better and is a good alternative if expansion is desirable. Either one should put the slapdown on any Newfoundland moose but I'm leaning towards the hardcast PileDriver bullet. Most 45-70 aficionados swear by these bullets.
I've got some Nosler 300gr Partitions in stock too but they seem to be more valuable than bullion lately. :lol:

Wow, great choice Charlie. I ran those bullets with 50-52 grains of H322 and they were unreal accurate. They are pounders on both ends as well. I hope you plant one in a moose. I have a feeling unless you shoot end to end you'll probably never keep one.

The 300 PT is a great one too. I'd have to run them if I were moose hunting. I have a decent stash of them and believe moose would be a worthy target for a couple of them.

DrMike":26m57om9 said:
Charlie-NY":26m57om9 said:
I must say that our entire group gets more excited each month as our Newfoundland hunt approaches. I've been shooting every week at our 300yd range and feel pretty confident in both of my rifles.
Even the Marlin 1895SBL 45-70 will put every bullet in a group < 3.5" at 300yds. That should be more than adequate considering our outfitter told us that shot opportunities are typically around 200yds. I could probably leave the 338 RUM at home; but I won't! LOL

That is fine accuracy with the 45-70; it would appear that you are handling it as it was meant to be handled. Yeah, I'd say that will work for moose. It is great to see the old battle cartridge given opportunity to show what it can do.

Holdover isn't much of a problem either. My Leupold 1x5 is sighted dead on at 200 yds. If I hold 5" high using the bottom plex I'm right on at 300yds. Alternatively, I could just turn the power down a bit and put the bottom plex on at 300yds with no holdover but I like the 5x picture.

Yeah, I had really good luck with shooting the 45-70 out to 300. It was actually really fun to be honest. Those big bullets make a nice sound when they hit.

Charlie, it sounds like you and your buddies have everything well in hand. I sure hope that you get the opportunity to harvest a good bull. I am not sure if I seen it or not but is this your first Moose hunt?
I am sure looking forward to the story along with photographs!!

Blessings,
Dan

sask boy":28v2zvrr said:
Charlie, it sounds like you and your buddies have everything well in hand. I sure hope that you get the opportunity to harvest a good bull. I am not sure if I seen it or not but is this your first Moose hunt?
I am sure looking forward to the story along with photographs!!

Blessings,
Dan

Yup - First moose hunt. I've hunted in Canada for over 25 years but never for moose. I have actually seen more moose than bears on a few bear hunts.
I'll have a Newfoundland bear tag too just in case the luck is with me. :grin:

Great luck to both of your groups, Lou. I hope that both of you get your moose! Newfoundland has, in recent years, been a great hunt for moose. I have hunted them in Labrador but did not get one. Sure is a fun hunt though.

Well Charlie I am sure glad you are getting this opportunity for you first Moose hunt. Enjoy and remember to take those photos :wink:.
PS. Have Fun, Shoot straight & be Safe!!!

Blessings,
Dan

Good luck Charlie, I went to Newfoundland with 3 of my buddies in Sept 07. Everyone killed a woodland Caribou and a Shiras Moose. It was some beautiful country,and some of the most friendly people.It was a great trip. Lee

wvchevy3":oi2w6gag said:
Good luck Charlie, I went to Newfoundland with 3 of my buddies in Sept 07. Everyone killed a woodland Caribou and a Shiras Moose. It was some beautiful country,and some of the most friendly people.It was a great trip. Lee

Shiras moose??? In Newfoundland??? :? And they let you kill them??? :shock:

Yes , it was a great time. Although the drive from WV. seemed to take for ever. We drove non stop until we crossed the border at Houlton. The next day we drove until we got to North Sydney Nova Scotia,and the Ferry Crossing to Port Aux Basques New Foundland. It was an unbelievable good time.When we arrived at the outfitter we had a 20 min.Helo ride to base camp.The Shiras Moose seemed to be everywhere there as well as the woodland caribou.Everyone had a tag for moose,caribou and Black bear but no one saw a bear. Lee

Hi everyone :) ..it's almost time for the hunt, 3 more weeks to go, I'm looking forward to it, and flying out to Newfoundland again, and seeing the boys and Grace (the cook) once again :) ..I'll be packing my favourite rifle, Sako 85, .375 H&H mag, loaded up with 260gr Nosler Accubonds @ +/- 2700 fps for this Moose hunt, my gear is all ready to go, I just need some range time to re sight my rifle with the accubonds.

Good luck to all for 2014,

Lou

Hey Lou that is great!! Sure hope that you get that good bull!!
I am sure looking forward to a story or two along with photos.
Remember have Fun,shoot Straight & be Safe.

Blessings

We're pulling for you, Lou. Go get 'em, and keep your stick on the ice. :grin:

DrMike":wtaquksg said:
We're pulling for you, Lou. Go get 'em, and keep your stick on the ice. :grin:

Thanks Mike :grin: ..This time around, I'll make sure my camera is strapped around my neck :wink:

The Accubonds are hand loads, and I sure hope they shoot well out of my rifle, we loaded up 80 rounds of them, so I'll be seeing some range time some time next week. Worse case scenario, I'll be using the 300gr Oryx Norma factory load, still have 3 boxes :twisted:
I'd love to take along the 7mm rem mag and 160gr Partitions, but it's a real tight fit in the pelican hard case for both rifles, would be nice though :?

I well post a range report with the accubonds well before the hunt,
Lou

Good Luck Lou,

Hopefully the hunting gods will be with you and score on a big one. The 375 H&H should shoot as flat as a 30-06 just practice out to range to test bullet drop and you should be good-to-go.

Lou's got a great rifle... And with the 375, he's got things covered from muzzle scorching distance out to 300 yards and more.

Years ago when I started researching the medium bore rifles, I read several times that the .375 H&H had a very similar trajectory to the .30-06 & .308 Win. This impressed me!

Once I got my own .375 several years ago, I found that a 200 yard zero was very useful, and since then I've made good hits on two bears at 300+ yards... It's an accurate round. Powerful. Relatively easy to handle. And yes, the trajectory is quite similar to that of a .30-06 rifle.

Guy

Back