375 or 375 thats the question

Thanks a 375 for looking. To bad I can't teleport myself to the Gander Mountain or Colorado
Russ.

Antelope_Sniper":3onzrso4 said:
I hear there is at least one person on this site that really likes the .375 Ruger, but his name escapes me at the moment. :wink:
......................You`re funny!

Well, I'm building a 375 Ruger now. It will be a rebarrel of a Winchester post 64 that is now a 264 win mag. The mag length is 3.400".

The 375 Ruger is perfect for a rebarrel in a win mag action because they made it with a .532" case head and short enough to fit. The 375 H & H is a little longer and wouldn't have worked unless I wanted to seat the bullet deeper than normal and short throat it if I wanted to get close to the lands.

The barrel is going to be Pac-Nor #5 contour 3 groove select match 1 in 12 CM and I am going to have the gunsmith cut it off at 24" with no muzzle brake. I want the added weight of the #5 contour barrel and will probably add additional weight with a laminated stock

http://www.accurateinnovations.com/golden_sporter.html

Ghost finish, ebony end cap and grip cap, fishscale checkering

fishscale_3d-1.jpg

Thinking about the Hogue overmolded full bedding block pillar bedded stock also

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?p ... ber=863984

but I am not sure if I would like the rubbery feel.

Looking to get 2900 fps with a 260 gr AccuBond with that 24" barrel and I'll be a happy shooter :grin:

Woods...............Great choice for a rebarrel. Unless you wind up with a slower bore, 2900 fps using a 260 gr A/B should be very possible with a 24" barreled 375 Ruger. But I wouldn`t sneeze at 2800-2850 if that is the best your rebarrel can produce.

In case you haven`t seen this, here`s some good re-loading data, some of which I have duplicated for use in my own Alaskan.

Go to..........gunblast.com..........click on........archive..........then speed scroll down to 2/6/07.

There you`ll find Jeff Quinn`s article about the 23" Hawkeye African which has about 20 chrony`d reloadings for the 375 Ruger. His powder preference is H-4350.

Woods,

What you suggest sounds like a most handsome rifle. It should be a real thumper for almost anything you want to hunt. I like the cartridge. I'll like it a whole lot more when brass is more readily available.

Sounds like a great build. I like the heavy barrel, and the Laminated stock. Checked Bass Pro here n Denver last night. They actually had in quite a bit of brass, most I've seen since the election. They had stuff for the H&H and RUM, but not the Ruger. Hopefully things will continue to loosen up.

Well I went to one of ore gun stores today and they had Kimber Caprivi's in 375 H&H mags. I made the mistake of touching it and it put its voodoo spell on me. I'm sunk. :cry: :cry: :cry:

russ808":3khvlizv said:
Well I went to one of ore gun stores today and they had Kimber Caprivi's in 375 H&H mags. I made the mistake of touching it and it put its voodoo spell on me. I'm sunk. :cry: :cry: :cry:
...............Congrats on your new (UPCOMING) Caprivi purchase!!! Voo-do spells are hard to break when it comes to rifles.

Let`s see now! $3000? to $3300? + scope + rings!! Somewhere in there?

Go git her!!!

Squeeze, I had to leave the store before I broke down. What to do, what to do.

Yeah! I know.

The 375 H&H Caprivi is a wonderful, beatutiful and handsome piece of work; no doubting that. But it cannot do anything better than can a lesser expensive 375 H&H or 375 Ruger.

The only things it`ll get ya are a few oooohs and aaaaws, burn a deeper hole in your checkbook, and babying that rifle alot more in the field to protect its expensive wood against dings and scratches.

Handsome and beautiful? Yes!!....... A true all weather, rough it type of rifle?...Not imo! .......However, good for the Caprivi Valley in Africa for which it was named.

squeeze,
It wouldn't burn a hole, in would make a volcano crater. I've got a coulpe of years before the planned hunt so I'm not rushing to buy. Maybe I'll get really, really lucky and one will fall out of the sky into my arms. :lol: :lol: :lol: Hpoefully a great deal will pop up.

Russ,

We can give you a thousand reasons why you shouldn't buy that Caprivi, and not one excuse. I have some beautiful rifles, but I wouldn't own one I was afraid to carry in the field. The dings and scrapes are souvenirs to remind me of great times with wonderful friends doing things that many just dream about.

DrMike, I agree. I'm leaning toward the Sako 85 Hunter. I have a couple of Sako's and you should see the dings and scrapes on them. But the fit good, shoot good, just don't look so good, but I'm not going to the prom, I'm going huntin.

There is nothing wrong with the Sako 85. It is a sweet rifle. I have shot several in a variety of calibres, and all shot better than they should have. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and if the rifle performs admirably, to the man who owns that rifle, it is a beauty.

The ballistics may be close to idenical but availlabity of ammo may be a different story. I wouldn't rely on an airline to get your ruger ammo over to where you need it. 375 h&h ammo will be available all over the continent, if your luggage or reloads get lost in travel.

If or when I go to Africa, my 375 Ruger and the reloads will be packed in the same Pelican case. If I lose them due to airline shuffle and cannot recover them in time to use on the hunt,,,,then oh well!! In that event and as my e/mail contact with an African PH has stated, then I`ll just use one of their back up rifles already there.

BTW! According to the African PH I`ve had past contact with, there has been and there is, an on-going slow and steady up-swing of 375 Ruger use in Africa.

Interestingly, I have yet to read where anyone who has taken a 375 Ruger to Africa, then failed to use it because the rifle and ammo were lost.

Seems to me that ANY 375 H&H rifle and ammo can be lost just as easily as any 375 Ruger rifle with its ammo, with no discretion towards either. The baggage handlers won`t know the difference. And if by chance the ammo makes it but the rifle doesn`t if packed seperately, there is still a back up rifle with ammo to always use.

One should buy the rifle they want and then worry about the,,,"what IF this happens" OR the "what IF that happens" incidentals later.

Imo, this biz regarding lack of ammo in Africa and/or lost by the airlines, is a very weak emotional argument by the 375 H&H classic traditionalists against buying a 375 Ruger to take to Africa...... Or? Could it just be in the minds of some, that the 375 Ruger threatens the popularity of their beloved H&H and this is the argument they use?? What argument are they then going to use, once Hornady has all the necessary distribution approvals for their factory ammo distribution in Africa??

As one gunwriter wrote; "In the years down the road, will the 375 Ruger do to the 375 H&H here in the U.S., what the 300 Win Mag DID do to the 300 H&H"?? Time will tell based on what the consumers say and what the gunwriters report based on their opinions.

Personally, I hope the H&H stays around for many years to come and isn`t dispatched by the 375 Ruger or anything else. It makes for good fodder and debate; an early 20th century development vs an early 21st century development.

Lost luggage are reality that we have to face when traveling. We're fortunate that everything went well for us on our first Safari. A gentleman from Oregon that preceeded us was not so lucky. He arrived at the lodge without his rifle. He had to borrow the PH rifle.

375 Holland and Holland had been around since 1912 and it's popular as ever. That says much about cartridge.

Back