375 or 375 thats the question

Desert Fox":1u1kh00g said:
Lost luggage are reality that we have to face when traveling. We're fortunate that everything went well for us on our first Safari. A gentleman from Oregon that preceeded us was not so lucky. He arrived at the lodge without his rifle. He had to borrow the PH rifle.

375 Holland and Holland had been around since 1912 and it's popular as ever. That says much about cartridge.
.............You make my point exactly! By borrowing the PH`s rifle, the gent from Oregon still had a rifle to hunt with.

Regardless of whether one takes the most popular rifle cartridge in the world to Africa, the least popular cartridge to Africa, or takes an up and coming cartridge to Africa, if the rifle and ammo are lost by the airlines, the PHs will still have the back up rifles and the ammo to hunt with.

That is why it is such a ridiculous argument for some to state; "don`t buy an up and coming cartridge, simply because there isn`t enough ammo availability as of yet for that round over in Africa." Any rifle and any ammo can be lost; the most popular cartridge or otherwise.

Regardless of the cartridge, if the owner`s rifle and ammo makes it to the destination, then great! If not, there is always plan B, as was in the case for the gent from Oregon!

I`d LMAO if I ever hear of a guy losing his 375 H&H during the transit to Africa, only to then be handed a 375 Ruger from the PH to hunt with! I don`t think the client would turn it down. That could very well happen someday.

Nope, because the outside airport at Richards Bay require the ammo to be in the same case as the rifle. Then at Joberg you have to take it out of the rifle case and put it back in the luggage. Go figure. TSA is all over the world.

Big sqeeze don't get me wrong, I'm not an h&h trad, Ilike several of the new ruger rounds. I was just saying theres more things to consider when purchasing or even packing for a hunt like this, ballistics from any cannon with enough oomph to bring down a cape buffalo is probably the least of worries. Just more food for thought, the rifle/caliber your most comfortable with and consistent with should get the nod. A poor shot from a .458 is just as dangerous as poor shot from a .375. Buy a comfortable gun in the Ruger or H&H and use it until it's famliar as granpa's '06.

super-7":3udtzs8u said:
Big sqeeze don't get me wrong, I'm not an h&h trad, Ilike several of the new ruger rounds.
................Yes! I know where you`re coming from. But there are those who are, that always seem to use this "lack of ammo in Africa business" anytime a "which 375" discussion pops up.

If there were no back up rifles and ammo provided by the PHs to use, their arguments would be far more legitimate and have merit.

ANY,,, rifle/cartridge combo can get lost during transit by the airlines, whether its the most popular rifle cartridge in the world, the least popular, or anything in-between.

Regardless of my bias or favoritism toward the 375 Ruger, it doesn`t matter to me which 375 one buys. But if one is considering the Ruger, I will offer my experiences with mine and the reasons why I chose it. BTW! I did own a 375 H&H for many years.

And when the "lack of ammo availability" pops up as it always does, I`ll use the above same common sense rebuttal.

Russ,

I have owned .375 H&H rifles by several makers, and hunted in Africa with it and the .376 Steyr. I bought a .375 Ruger Hawkeye African in .375 Ruger when it was announced, and that rifle will go on my next Africa hunt.

I find it a handier rifle and cartridge combination, and it got popular very quickly -- a good sign of how good both are. I understand Ruger sold 8,000 rifles in the first year of sales.

Hornady has some good dangerous game ammo now, or you can load your own. 270 grains of a premium bullet is enough.

jim

Thanks for the input Jim. Still sitting on the fence as to with of the two I will get. Its a good thing I have three years. I have how ever, been buying .375 heads on Bivwak. Its funny how I never saw much .375 stuff on the auctions and now they have been poping up often. Good for me I guess, not good for the wallet. CFO is getting concerned as to the amount I've been spending on the site. I was able to pick up 260/Parts and ABs as well as 300/ Parts. I'm good in that department, just have to figure out with one to buy.
Russ

Russ.................Don`t wait 3 years. Get which ever 375 suites you the best, get to reloading for it and start shooting.

Slap it on a credit card!!............. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

russ808":1gmu3anr said:
Does anybody have or seen a Howa in 375R?
............They were supposed to be out early this year sometime with a MSRP of $589 (non stainless). Things going reeeel slow in Japan.

A helluva good rifle for the price, let alone for a 375R too.

Squeeze, I checked some web sites. Its listed with no price or picture. I guess that means that they are waiting for the guns to arrive. Looking.

russ808":2icreiu1 said:
Squeeze, I checked some web sites. Its listed with no price or picture. I guess that means that they are waiting for the guns to arrive. Looking.
............Go to the "legacysports" web site find their contact # in Reno Nv and give em a call and find out their best estimate as to an ETA for USA availability.

Back