375 ruger scope issue - answered??

Feb 18, 2011
So as most of you know, I posted earlier that a S&B Zenith was out of the running due to finances. However after thinking it over, I really don't want to settle. I have always wanted a S&B and know that in the long run, it will be worth its cost 10 fold. With that said I still won't be able to get one by this fall so I think I have a solution.

I am going to hold off on buying a scope and continue saving to get a 1.5-6X42 flash dot zenith. Even if its not till next spring (when I figure I will have enough extra saved) thats fine with me to get what I want.

In the mean time, I have a pretty much brand new gloss Burris FFII 3-9X40 scope collecting safe dust. I am going to use this scope on the hawkeye for the fall. I really do like the optics and feel confident that it will at least be bright enough for most of my elk opportunities. My only concern is wondering if it will hold up to the recoil???

Thoughts????

I'm with you. The Burris is adequate; and while it is not what you want, so long as you remain focused on the best, you will not regret the wait once you have it. I've never regretted spending the extra money for top glass.

It sounds like you have a good plan. I have had a Burris FF II 2-7x35 on my 35 Whelen for quite a while and it has held up well, the 375 Ruger is a step up in the recoil department but I don't think you will have a problem. Make sure you mount it as far forward as you reasonably can, my 3-9x40 FF II only has about 3 inches of eye relief at 9 power but noticeably more at 3 power. They are good scopes for the money.

gerry":1msiz5s6 said:
It sounds like you have a good plan. I have had a Burris FF II 2-7x35 on my 35 Whelen for quite a while and it has held up well, the 375 Ruger is a step up in the recoil department but I don't think you will have a problem. Make sure you mount it as far forward as you reasonably can, my 3-9x40 FF II only has about 3 inches of eye relief at 9 power but noticeably more at 3 power. They are good scopes for the money.

I have the same scope Gerry does on my 358 Win. Pretty danged good scope for the money and it is pretty clear as well. I have no plans of changing it up anytime soon. I think you are doing something that will last you years of hunting and give you alot of smiles with that kinda awesome glass. Who knows, you may find a used S&B along the way and save yourself a few more bucks.

Glad it is working out for you. Good luck this fall filing your elk tagwith the 375 Ruger.

JD338

Good luck IDH! Hope it works well and holds up! Should be a rocking elk rifle!

Back