40 grain Lead Fee Ballistic Tips

R Flowers

Handloader
Oct 23, 2004
Well, I am totally dissapointed in a Nosler bullet offering once again.

I live in California and am burdened with the "no lead" bullshit, so I was looking for another varmint load.

I have a custom built 22-250 that is a Hart SS match grade barrel on a Remington 700 action. I shoots 50 grain Ballistic Tips quite well with Varget powder. This rifle has a 1 in 14 inch twist.

I went to the range today and was totally dissapointed. I first shot my regular loads consisting of 50 grain BT's over Varget and the Fed 210M primer. The wind was terrible today, I could only shoot 3/4 inch groups with this load for 5 shots.

I then tried the 36 grain Barnes Varmint Grenade bullets. Much to my surprise they shot quite well and hit the same place as the 50 grain BT loads. Some of these groups were close to a 1/2 inch, in the wind!

I then tried the 40 grain LEAD FREE Ballistic Tips! What a dissapointment!!!! Using the same loads of Varget that I used with the Barnes bullets, I could not get a group under 6 inches!!!!!! The bullet holes are oblong, the bullets are CLEARLY keyholing.

What the hell is with this???? That bullet is shorter than the regular 50 grain BT, why would it keyhole??? I get SO dissapointed in some of the new bullet offerings, I do not know why I try them. I would just shoot tried and proven "old" products except for the damned laws!

I guess I could try the 35 grain BT lead free versions, but I am not sure it is worth the trouble.

I'd give the 35gr a try. I know what you mean about CA crap laws.. If all else fails you could use the Barnes. Try the 35 with h380. Good luck

RF

I don't have an answer for you on this one but I am thinking balance?

I tried the 35 gr BTLF last year in my M700 VLS 1:14 twist barrel. Nosler send me a box of their custom loaded ammo. Accuracy was ok but not great. I thought that seating bullets closer to the lands would improve accuracy but I never did anything with the COL.
I did shoot a coyote with this bullet and it did a great job exiting with a hole about the size of a quarter.
Entrance wound-
Coyote22-25030grBTNLa.jpg

Exit wound-
Coyotewith22-25030grBTNL.jpg

I would give the 35 gr bullet a try in your 22-250.

Back