40S&W

That’s the only time I’ve fired one into something other than a target. I only load them in the mag when I carry the 40 with me while I’m hunting or camping.
It would be interesting to see one slammed into the water jugs.

JD338

It would be interesting to see one slammed into the water jugs.

JD338
Next time I’m over at the cabin I’ll do it. Should be penetration champs. I’d expect expansion to be minimal, which is the intention of a truncated hard cast. But good to see how it holds together. We Used to be able to jug/media test at the range where I’m a member, but they banned things like that because fools left their mess behind.

Last edited:
I think it comes down to two things:

9mm is significantly cheaper when buying thousands of rounds for training and duty use.

9mm kicks significantly less and is easier to shoot well.

I carried my 45 1911 for my entire career and still shoot it pretty well. :)

40 is just fine as far as I'm concerned.

Guy
I still have the Glock 22 that I’ve carried for years. With as many rounds that have been put through it, man it’s a slick action. My 1911 is my baby though. I never walk out the door without it.

Personally, I prefer shooting the 40 over the 9.
While recoil may be more with the 180 gr ammo, it is slower compared to the snappiness of the 9mm with heavier loads. And I shoot it pretty well; actually shot it better than the 9mm while shooting IDPA.
I had 9mm's in CZ 75 and 85 and a IWI. My current 40 is a CZ SP-01 Tactical. (And my 10mm is a Kimber Eclipse Custom II)

Our Conservation Officers were originally equipped with Glock 9mm's ,but due to poor penetration when dispatching animals, they were rearmed with Glocks in 40. On close range shots to dispatch vehicle struck moose, a 9mm would only penetrate 4" compared to 18" with the 40.

Jeepers, we have between us, 4 nines; a 357sig; three 40s; one 1911 and four 22s; one 38; one 357 one 45colt and one 454.
The 1911 is my first choice for carry; Glock 43 or 27 comes in next. Catherine carries her 43 or her 17.

Jeepers, we have between us, 4 nines; a 357sig; three 40s; one 1911 and four 22s; one 38; one 357 one 45colt and one 454.
The 1911 is my first choice for carry; Glock 43 or 27 comes in next. Catherine carries her 43 or her 17.
Clearly, I am losing this race ;)

Back