40S&W

This has been an interesting thread to read. I haven't been in law enforcement but have family and friends that are or were. Some of their take goes along with what has been said. One great nephew went from a 45acp to a 9mm because it held more rounds. His dad qualified better with the 45, both Glocks. Both had used 40s in their department. Me I have used for EDC 9,38 and 45 now carrying mostly a Hellcat 9mm just for the size and weight. One thing that stands out to me is that a deceased friend who was a former Marine, Vietnam vet and retired police officer told me at his house one day setting around talking. He had a 38 S&W Chiefs Special and a Colt Commander 45 laying on the table. He pointed to the 38 and said with this I can get myself out of a bad situation, pointed to the 45 and said with this I can get us both out of a bad situation. He had the experience to know. I respected that. I respect the others here who have their earned knowledge as well. Thanks for sharing, Dan.

I carry a .40 S&W compact. My SD rounds are factory of some sort. Right now some Bonded remington rounds gets the nod. But I practice with Rainier 180 grain HP's loaded with just enough Unique. No doubt the factory rounds shoot hard.
I have a set of Ameriglo nite sights on my pistol and the trigger has been smoothed as much as possible. I shoot it a lot because to shoot a .40 well takes a lot of practice.
The 40 is a bigger bullet which equals more tissue damage, heavier and moving faster. Physics don't lie.

I know only a little of duty carry; mostly just what I've read. I think in the past, I've commented about carrying 1911's vice striker-fired (mostly Glocks, I presume), but that was more of design, as opposed to caliber. I do know that thinking changes over time and there is a lot of follow the leader that happens. The biggest way that seems to impact the personal carry market is in availability; seems .40 has gotten real scarce around here. I wonder how many people bought .40's a few years back who are now having difficulty keeping in practice or finding carry ammo.

I'm a casual user and own a Kimber Ultra Carry II .45ACP, Taurus PT1911 .45ACP, Browning Hi-Power 9mm, and a S&W Performance Center Shield 9mm. Hands down my favorite conceal carry piece is the Kimber. The Taurus and Hi-Power shoot well but are a little large for a conceal carry. The Shield 9mm rarely sees the light of day. I carry 230 gr ball ammo and don't have any issue handling the the recoil. Although I have thought about testing some 185 gr for function and reliability. In a platform like the Kimber I think the 40S&W would also be a great choice.

I'm cerious of those who carry a 9mm either on-duty, conceal carry, or just use casually, please share the ammo that is being used.

I think the 40 is a terrific round. I wish it was offered in a small compact size like the 9mm offerings.
I have a LC9 that I carry most of the time because of the size. I'm actually going to get a Springfield Armory Hellcat for it's higher capacity. My carry load is Winchester Ranger 147 gr JHP.
My preferred carry gun is my Kimber Tactical Pro Ii loaded up with Winchester Ranger 230 gr JHP along with 2 spare magazines.

JD338

I'm a casual user and own a Kimber Ultra Carry II .45ACP, Taurus PT1911 .45ACP, Browning Hi-Power 9mm, and a S&W Performance Center Shield 9mm. Hands down my favorite conceal carry piece is the Kimber. The Taurus and Hi-Power shoot well but are a little large for a conceal carry. The Shield 9mm rarely sees the light of day. I carry 230 gr ball ammo and don't have any issue handling the the recoil. Although I have thought about testing some 185 gr for function and reliability. In a platform like the Kimber I think the 40S&W would also be a great choice.

I'm cerious of those who carry a 9mm either on-duty, conceal carry, or just use casually, please share the ammo that is being used.
I know some frown on 185gr for carry load but I'm ok carrying in my 45 and wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of it. Dan.

Depends on the gun.
Compact/Sub Compact: Federal 9BPLE (115 grain +P+)
Duty Size: Speer G2 147 grain

Vince

Here is my understanding:

NYC PD has many shootings annually to analyze the effectiveness of handgun bullet impacts. Specifically, the amount of time it takes to incapacitate a suspect based on a single hit in the core. Also interesting is how many rounds, in or out of the core area, it takes to incapacitate a suspect.

With advancements in bullet technology and ammo quality, the 9mm was equally effective (within a reasonable degree) as the 40S&W, for the purposes of rapid incapacitation. Given that the 9mm is easier to train with, cheaper to buy and allows additional rounds to fit in the same length magazine, there is a compelling argument to select the 9mm, over the 40S&W for departmental use even if the 40S&W was slightly better in the analysis.

This is just one perspective and I'm sure things do change as data is collected and guns & ammo improve.

I've been shooting a full-size H&K USP40 for many years, decades actually. My buddy shoots a new striker fired H&K 9mm. We switched guns at the range just to compare each other's handgun. I had to admit that his new 9mm was noticeably easier and more comfortable to shoot than the 40S&W that I am very accustomed to.

40's work!
Bullet technology (design and weight) has helped the 9mm tremendously.
I have seen both do a good job on tissue.
As usual Ernie hit it on the head. Bullet technology saved the 9mm.
1986 FBI Miami shooting with crappy 115 Winchester Silvertips. Google it or You tube it. Lack of penetration.
Went to 10mm---too much recoil. Shortened it down to 40 S&W.
Bullets became better so back to 9mm. Round robin. Nothing wrong with the 40 S&W.

I have the Springfield XD-E 9mm, DA/SA, thats every day
Then depends on where I am going, A Sig P938 for pocket (9mm), Sig P229 (40S&W) or an FNP45 (45ACP). All but the pocket are DA/SA

Last edited:
I will use a 9mm without hesitation with Gold Dot G2 9mm Luger 147 Grain ammunition.
I have watched a over 150ish pound hog die very quickly (Not a central nervous system or bone hit) with an intentional double lung impact.
From what I know, I seriously doubt a 357 Mag, 40 S&W, 10mm or 45 ACP would not have killed it any quicker.

As I mentioned many moons ago in this thread bullet technology has advanced leaps and bounds...

I use to laugh at the 9mm and especially 380 performance.
the jokes on me now....
Now... I carry a 380 in the light clothing months because that barnes tacxp bullet has real terminal performance.
My wife carries a 380 year round.
In the colder months it's a 1911 or Glock 23 for me.

Sonething else to consider for the department switch back to 9mm...
Sure money plays the ultimate role but it must be factored in now thr weight reduction carrying a 9mm over anything heavier.
The pistol, 45 rounds approximately of ammo, ....while the difference might be a pound total when you factor in police also now toting heavy vests, carrying tasers, and video cameras...
Yes absolutely positively damn straight any reduction in weight over a shift of 8 hours or double shift.... yes any weight reduction is highly welcomed

Boar Hog.jpgBoar Hog.jpg This hog took a 140gr Creed hit on the shoulder which dropped him. He was quite alive when I got to him. I hit him in the head, pointing straight down, with a 9mm defense load. All it did was annoy him. I took a second shot and it still didn't kill him. A third shot and he finally gave up the ghost. I couldn't help but think that the 9mm isn't as powerful as I thought. I took the 40S&W on the next outing. LOL

View attachment 19807View attachment 19807 This hog took a 140gr Creed hit on the shoulder which dropped him. He was quite alive when I got to him. I hit him in the head, pointing straight down, with a 9mm defense load. All it did was annoy him. I took a second shot and it still didn't kill him. A third shot and he finally gave up the ghost. I couldn't help but think that the 9mm isn't as powerful as I thought. I took the 40S&W on the next outing. LOL
Note to self: When shooting hogs in the head, don't use a 9mm!o_O He is a bigun, that's for certain.

View attachment 19807View attachment 19807 This hog took a 140gr Creed hit on the shoulder which dropped him. He was quite alive when I got to him. I hit him in the head, pointing straight down, with a 9mm defense load. All it did was annoy him. I took a second shot and it still didn't kill him. A third shot and he finally gave up the ghost. I couldn't help but think that the 9mm isn't as powerful as I thought. I took the 40S&W on the next outing. LOL
Only had to dispatch 1 hog with a hand gun, it was a big boar my daughter shot. I load 200 grain bad man hard cast for the 40 SW and from about 20’ it really scrambled his brain for an instant, chin slapping the ground death.

Back