41 Mag bullet selection

Well, I finalized the Smith's sights yesterday. Scary day at the range because of the nitwits there, but no incidents, thank God. And it was divine intervention, I'm convinced, that prevented any accidents. I can see no other reason, because the people there weren't doing much to prevent them.

Anyway...

Opening day is tomorrow. My daughter's 7mmWSM has been ready for a while. I'm hoping she gets to let it speak, and gets to fill out a tag.

I have the 41 hitting just a smidge high at 25 yards. According to the best calculations I could run, velocity is likely between 1350 and 1400, and I won't have to hold off the vitals at any range I should be shooting. I think at 100 it's about 6" low, but 100 yards with a handgun may as well be 600 to me. I'm not that level of marksman with a handgun.

Last two rounds I had, I shot into one oblong hole that hit about 1" high and 1"-2" right of where I was aiming at 25 yards offhand. That'll do. I can't fine tune it any more than that with my level of shooting.

She passed on two bucks today because she just didn't want them (young one and an older one with a weird stunted rack). Back at it with her on Saturday....had the bucks and doe inside revolver range (were as close as about 15 feet from the ladder), but I wasn't the one up to bat today.

Back