41 Magnum loads

Mark

Beginner
Sep 10, 2006
Anyone have any good recipes with .41 Magnum loads? I have some W231, Blue Dot, 2400 and H110 powders on hand and Hornady 210 grain HP bullets. I have the Smithy 629 with 6 inch barrel SS I bought about 12 years ago and shot with full power loads with 20 grns. H110 and Hornady 210 grainers at 1700 fps but this is a real hot load as max loads in the Sierra manual but it says somewhat less fps but my chrono says 1700 fps. That is almost 450 fps more than what the Sierra manual says and want to back off a bit. I don't want to be missing a limb. :shock:

My ruger Blackhawk pushes cast 215's at 1450 with the same load with H110. More pressure with the jacketed bullets not totally surprising.

Steve D. the HP

Well, just a couple of quick comments.

First of all, a Smith and Wesson stainless revolver in .41 Magnum is called a model 657, not a 629. The 629 is chambered in .44 Magnum.

Secondly, I think you need to get your chronograph checked. In the latest Hornady manual they tested a Smith and Wesson Model 57 (blued) with a 6 inch barrel. A max load of H110 according to Hornady is 22.7 grains behind their 210 hollow point. A load of 20 grains of H110 behind the Hornady HP only gave a velocity of 1150 fps.

There is something fishy here. I can see no way you could get 1700 fps with a 210 grain bullet out of a 6 inch revolver barrel from a .41 Magnum.

My bad, I have several handguns and you are right, it is a 657.
I had my chrono checked and I clocked the 41 loads at 1700 something and rechecked again , at that time , with a .45 and it was around 893 something for the 8 rounds I used. So I do not think that there is anything wrong with it for I also used the .308 and clocked at 2857 something for the three shots I made that day. The gun they tested is a Model 57 and not the 657 so different guns shoot differently based on rifling and twist.
Check the Sierra manual and its max load is 20.1 of H110 at 1250 fps
Nosler manual and its max load is 20.9 of H110 at 1650 fps
Speer manual and its max load is 20.5 of H110 at 1352 fps

All manuals are different and velocity and loads are not the same. It is not the chrono but I don't see anything fishy but it is indeed an hot and fast load. :grin:

Mark, I am not trying to be argumentative here, trust me.

A velocity of 1700 just seems out of reason for a 6 inch Smith and Wesson. The reason the Nosler manual shows a velocity of 1650 fps using H110 behind a 210 grain bullet is because they used a unvented 10 inch test barrel. (Not a revolver)

If you are truly getting 1700 fps with 210 grain bullets I certainly would back the powder charge down some, the pressures have to be very high.

Flowers, You have good reasoning, I understand that and before I go any further on this issue of feet per second out of the .41 Mag; I will take the chrono; which I it checked for a faulty printer gear and they gave it a thorogh diagnostics check and made a few adjustments( I do not know what adjustments they made); to the farm and recheck the fps issue. I do not mean to say that you are wrong but there are errors people make and 2nd opinions shall be taken first. Let the truth tell again when I go out there again and I will be glad to post my findings as soon as time permits. You could be right about the chrono but we will see. :wink:

Back