350 Legend loads

mjcmichigan

Handloader
Dec 26, 2016
Have a friend who’s nephew was using.a 350 legend. He took a couple deer and complains if the bullet doesn’t hit a rib, it leaves only a pencil hole for exit.

Ammo used is the Hornady whitetail 170 gn interlock.

My Hornady X manual does not list their 0.355 rifle bullets. They do have recipes, but I don’t see the specs that give the working range of the IL vs. FTX in 0.355.

The spec on the factory ammo says 2200fps at muzzle and 1843 at 100. He is taking shots over 100.

I’m guessing the IL doesn’t expand below 1800 FPS. I’ll call Hornady and ask.

Winchester makes a PowerPoint in this caliber 0.355.

I didn’t find bullets by Barnes, Nosler, Sierra, or Speer.

Is anyone loading this in anything besides Hornady bullets in 350 Legend?

Thanks, Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would suggest it's the Hornady bullet.

If it were me, I'd look at the Federal Fusion ammo, or the Barnes ammo, for the 350 Legend and leave the Hornady for target practice.

Thanks Dr V.

Thanks for mentioning the federal options. I didn’t see them when searching yesterday. I have shot fusion in several rifles and been happy with it.

Maybe someone can share insight on why the 350 legend went with a 355 vs 358 bullet? Could have still made a straight wall case with a 358.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MJmichigan,

I think it was for production purposes. Smaller diameter bullet, is cheaper to make. The other reason I've heard batted around is that they were trying to limit bad reloading choices - and or make it a factory only round. A better way of writing it might be; they wanted to keep low strength pistol bullets (which can't perform properly when pushed at the higher velocities and pressures that the round provides) out of the cases. Sadly it limits users from downloading the weaker bullets and or going to max with the high strength pistol bullets (Partition, A-Frame, etc.).

I'm not sold that the round demands a .355 diameter bullet. A number of guys seem to use bullets suitable for the .357 mag. Hodgedon lists a 125 GR. BAR TAC-XP for the 350 legend... I think it is loaded in .357 mag ammo - https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1016241735/.

To quote https://www.chuckhawks.com/win_350_legend.html: "Winchester specifies .357 inch diameter bullets, which seems odd, as all rifle bullets intended to be fired in a rifle with a .350 inch bore are designed for a groove/bullet diameter of .358 inch. Fortunately, a difference of only .001 inch in bullet diameter typically makes no significant difference to the rifle or the bullet, at least in other cartridges with which I have worked."

Also to quote https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/whats ... 50-legend/: "We reached out to Winchester to ask about these potential problems. A Winchester representative had this to say about the .350 Legend:

In regards to 350 Legend bullets, please refer to the attached SAAMI drawing (PDF) attached SAAMI drawing. Common among all modern centerfire projectiles, 350 Legend’s SAAMI bullet diameter includes a tolerance to allow for slight variations in manufacturing. The 350 Legend SAAMI bullet diameter is specified at .357”-.003”. Similar bullet tolerances also exist for 357 Magnum and 357 Maximum.

The 350 Legend also uses the same .346” bore and .355” groove dimensions as 357 Mag and 357 Max. Therefore, bullets exit the muzzle at approximately .355” when fired from any of those three cartridges."

Good luck! FYI - I went with a CVA Scout in 44 mag rather than 350 legend due to its fluid bullet situation... This aside doesn't help the kid, but if the bullet situation isn't surmountable a different round might be worth considering.

Nimrod84":1bokx865 said:
Good luck! FYI - I went with a CVA Scout in 44 mag rather than 350 legend due to its fluid bullet situation... This aside doesn't help the kid, but if the bullet situation isn't surmountable a different round might be worth considering.

I still like my 450 Bushmaster.
These deer can't be too well ventilated, and the 22 inch Ruger Americans are so incredibly accurate for a cheap rifle.

However, if it was for a youngster I'd probably stick with factory ammo since they're not going to shoot it much. I've tried to reload for my 450, and am not sure its worth the time and effort.

No argument Dr. Vette on the 450 bushmaster. I have one friend using the 450 bushmaster, another friend with a couple of 350 legands for him and his kids (been happy but they keep shots close and he doesn't reload) and a neighbor and a friend have 44 mag rifles. The 44's seem to do good work within 125 or so yards with proper bullets and recoil is very manageable to low with most loads at least noticeably less recoil than the 450 bushmaster. Personal opinion is that anything starting with a 4 seems to do a number on MI deer.

Using Rem 180 grain JHP - the last doe I shot with the 44 mag was facing me at about 60 yards and the 180 grain broke 10 ribs.

The doe prior to her dropped with a broadside shot at 125 yards.

The location I usually use the 450 there are shots out to 200+ across picked corn fields. For that I'll take the 450 vs a shorter range rifle.

I often have my 44 Mag scoped revolver with me, but have yet to use it other than putting down a car-hit deer several years ago that was stumbling around the field. I rarely see a deer within pistol range, so have yet to take one with it.

Any preference on bushmaster vs socom? I have had a few friends think they want the 50 Beowulf until I point out there are two ammo suppliers and the one makes the gun... they neatly have a statement in their warranty that warranty is null and void if you don’t use their ammo... I can’t say I’ve seen a warranty like that.. so usually I redirect them to the socom or bushmaster... they haven’t bought yet, but I think it will happen this winter...

Bit of an apple to watermelon comparison in Michigan. The 458 SOCOM is bottle necked so it can't be used in the restricted firearm zone in MI - also it is I think pretty much an AR offering with few bolt action rifles (like the 50 Beowolf). 458 SOCOM ammo isn't available in my area, while 450 Bushmaster ammo is still on the shelves.

My friend with the 450 Bushmaster uses it up by Onaway for Black Bear, and White Tails. He's been very happy with its performance. I think with solids it might be okay(ish) for Grizz, but I don't think it would be my first choice.

As such the 450 Bushmaster would be my personal preference in MI, especially if I had any opportunities to use it in the restricted firearm zone. If I was in Grizz land, the UP or needing serious stopping power (get out of Dodge), the 458 SOCOM would get a serious examination regarding ammo availability and reloading components. I know of a Texas hunter that has the 458 SOCOM as his truck gun / get out of Dodge rifle - with the right ammo it is good for engine blocks, wild boar, deer, elk, etc.

I did write Hornady and asked for expansion specs on bullet 3501 and 3502. Ones the 170gn interlock, and the other is a 165 FTX.

I did get back to my friends new phew and told him to get the 180 power shot from federal or the 150 deer season XP from Winchester (huge tip on that 150.. opening won’t be a problem on that one)

Back