Perseverance pays off

NYDAN

Handloader
Sep 17, 2013
This year has been a terrible year for me for a number of reasons which include the passing of my mother. Her hospitalization, death, and estate issues put me way behind on my conservation work and preparations for hunting.

Then just weeks before gun season and during archery season I needed a new water well drilled. Also, my lady friend's father became hospitalized with a dire prognosis.

I missed the first two days of NYS gun portion of deer season to be with my lady friend's family. When I finally got to go out on Monday the weather was terrible with high winds and blowing snow. As I was getting into my wagon mounted blind my 270 Win rifle slid off my shoulder and fell onto a steel wagon wheel. Although I didn't realize it, the fall damaged my scope. Later that day I had a shot a beautiful trophy non-typical buck and couldn't find it. I couldn't believe I had missed and spent the rest of the day looking for the deer. It wasn't until the next day when I test fired my rifle that I discovered the scope was damaged and knocked greatly askew. At least I knew I had completely missed the buck and not wounded it.

That left me hunting with the 450 Marlin instead of my 270 Win.

Wednesday, I passed on four small bucks hoping to see the big one I had missed on Monday. But, alas, I didn't see that buck again. Tina's Dad passed away that afternoon.

I took Thursday off from hunting and spent the day doing housework and maintenance things around the house.

This morning I went back out and watched 9 does feed and bed in the field next to the blind for about 4 hours. Then a couple of bucks chasing a doe showed in the woods next to the field. The bigger of the two finally stepped to the edge of the field and stopped to check out the field before venturing out into the open. That is when I pulled the trigger on the Marlin 450. The big boy dropped straight down and just rolled onto his side.

Here is a trail camera photo of the buck. The photo doesn't do him justice. He is bigger than he appears in the photo.

Cdy00017.JPG

Here is photo of the damage done by the 350 grain Hornady FN interlock. The entrance wound is on the BOTTOM of the photo. The exit wound is on the top. Notice that the bullet took out at least two ribs going in and one rib going out.

Wounds.JPG

In the end I was happy to have been able to bag a big buck with the Marlin.

Now, off to a funeral for Tina's Dad.

Dan

It has certainly been an eventful fall for you. Condolences on the death your lady friend experienced, which always translates to all she loves. Congratulations on tagging a fine deer.

Great buck! Life is made up of Seasons, that's for sure. I'm glad you were able to get away and do some hunting, being solitary in the woods has always been healing/nurturing for myself...and we ministers go through and help others through "a lot" of doo-doo storms! :) How big is his spread and how heavy was he Pard?

Gee Dan you've had your share of bad luck for sure, I'm happy to hear your scored on a nice .
Please give my condolences to your Lady friend.

preacher":2m31zptu said:
Great buck! Life is made up of Seasons, that's for sure. I'm glad you were able to get away and do some hunting, being solitary in the woods has always been healing/nurturing for myself...and we ministers go through and help others through "a lot" of doo-doo storms! :) How big is his spread and how heavy was he Pard?

The inside spread was 16". What the photo doesn't show is the thickness and palmation of the antlers. I didn't weigh him but I would estimate a live weight of 200 pounds. The taxidermist confirmed an estimated age of 3-1/2 years.

Yes, I find time in the woods to be very therapeutic.

Dan

Sympathies for your losses. I nice deer dosent make up for any of that but hopefully it gave you a few moments to contemplate something besides the difficult things. looks like a really nice buck. CL

Congrats on a fine deer hunt! That's a good memory for this season.

Lost my mom a few years ago. I understand. It hurts. Some days, I still start to pick up the phone to give her a call... Sigh...

Guy

Guy Miner":13689m6v said:
Congrats on a fine deer hunt! That's a good memory for this season.

Lost my mom a few years ago. I understand. It hurts. Some days, I still start to pick up the phone to give her a call... Sigh...

Guy
I lost my mother several years back and still have her phone number in my cell phone, I just can't delete it she use to call me while I was on the road to she if I was OK when the weather was bad.
Dan sorry to get off topic that is one nice buck .

Guy Miner":25v4m4h8 said:
Am thinking the .450 was an acceptable substitute for the .270 Win? :wink:

Guy,

Four of my six hunting blinds/stands are set up for 200 yard shots. Some of those stands are all the way across the field from where I expect to see deer. Some of those stands/blinds are almost exclusively long shots. Since I felt naked without the 270 Win in those stands, I didn't use those stands with the 450 Marlin.

I did use the other stands that have options for closer shots. I felt perfectly comfortable in those stands. At 100 yards and less, I think I actually prefer the 450 Marlin now. When this big buck presented a shoulder shot at 60 yards I was happy to have the 450 Marlin sticking out the window instead of the 270 Win.

My friend who butchered the front quarter with the entry wound said that the flat nose bullet hit the scapula causing the shock wave to spread out breaking three ribs.

I now have a much better appreciation for large caliber bullets. I am trying to talk Rol_P into converting his Rem M700 30-06 into a 35 Whelen we can play with. I could use a little help in convincing him he doesn't need two 30-06's when he could have a 35 Whelen.

Dan

Aw man Dan.
Mentioning a possible Whelen convert to this bunch is like throwing blood in the water with sharks. :lol: :lol: :lol:

NYDAN":2pjjp7yt said:
Guy Miner":2pjjp7yt said:
Am thinking the .450 was an acceptable substitute for the .270 Win? :wink:

Guy,

Four of my six hunting blinds/stands are set up for 200 yard shots. Some of those stands are all the way across the field from where I expect to see deer. Some of those stands/blinds are almost exclusively long shots. Since I felt naked without the 270 Win in those stands, I didn't use those stands with the 450 Marlin.

I did use the other stands that have options for closer shots. I felt perfectly comfortable in those stands. At 100 yards and less, I think I actually prefer the 450 Marlin now. When this big buck presented a shoulder shot at 60 yards I was happy to have the 450 Marlin sticking out the window instead of the 270 Win.

My friend who butchered the front quarter with the entry wound said that the flat nose bullet hit the scapula causing the shock wave to spread out breaking three ribs.

I now have a much better appreciation for large caliber bullets. I am trying to talk Rol_P into converting his Rem M700 30-06 into a 35 Whelen we can play with. I could use a little help in convincing him he doesn't need two 30-06's when he could have a 35 Whelen.

Dan
#5 Whelen /AI it's a lot more fun to work with and hits like a Zeus lightening bolt.
I'll help you work on him Dan. :mrgreen:
Boy you got that right Dewey :twisted:
I might even sell him the M700 Classic I have in the safe since I have the AI version I'll probably never use it after the deer I killed with it this year. I think I'm in love. :roll: :lol: :mrgreen:

Dwh7271":35l288jg said:
Aw man Dan.
Mentioning a possible Whelen convert to this bunch is like throwing blood in the water with sharks. :lol: :lol: :lol:

He's chumming the water. Good man, Dan.

Dan, congratulations on your perseverance & the harvesting of a fine buck, also my deepest condolences to your lady friend Tina and her entire family. It sounds like you sure have gone through your share of misfortune as of late but I know there is a light you can see at the end :).
Now a converted -06 to the Hammer of Thor (35 Whelen :mrgreen:), just have him mention the Whelen here on the forum and there are numerous members that would be more than willing to give a long list of virtues on that fine calibre (y).
Thanks for the post!!

Blessings,
Dan

Dang man so sorry to hear about all your hardship & loss family-wise that is a lot to have to face.

Sorry to hear about your scope also, but looks like the pinch hitter was up to the task! Congrats!!

I would like to thank everyone for their kind thoughts concerning Tina's Dad. Tina and I both appreciate the sincere condolences that have been expressed on this forum. These expressions of support help the survivors more than many may realize.

Just for the record Tina's Dad was a WWII veteran serving in the pacific.

On a happier note, I finally have my 35mm photos developed. It appears that the days of camera film are gone. The clerks at Walmart didn't know what I was talking about when I asked for it.

I think these photos do more justice to the buck than the live photo from the trail camera.

1.jpg

3.jpg

Back