.277 130gr AccuBond

Mountain Goat

Handloader
Dec 14, 2010
There's always reports out there of "bullet failures" from any and all manufactures. This is no such report. I am not partial to any brand in particular, for I have loaded, shot, hunted and taken game with just about all brands over the years. I like bullets that work and that shoot well, period.

Let me cover all the deer and antelope I have taken with the .277 130gr AccuBond fired from the same 270WSM. My load is Winchester brass, WLRM primer, RL-17 and, of course, the Nosler 130gr AccuBond. This load reads about 3240-ish over my chrono and groups consitently under an inch, with several groups going into the .6's and smaller. I like this load, cartridge and rifle, for I got familiar with it out to 413 yards in the off season(s.)

Enough of the boring details, let's get to results on game. First off, all animals died and were recovered quickly, so there is no speculation on shot placement, bullet blow up, pencilled through, or any of those stories that we have all read.

First buck, I hunt blacktails out here in Oregon, was shot at just over 230yds in a heavy downpour. He was facing me, slightly quartered to, and the bullet entered just left of center about half way up. I thought he ran off, but found him dead where he stood. The bullet did not hit the front of the scapula, the round "ball" part, nor the brisket, but the bullet did NOT even make it to the diaphram. Maybe it hit a rain drop, or a piece of sagebrush, but the entrance wound did not reflect this. It looked normal.

Second buck was 340+yds vertually broad side. He ran off after the shot and made it about 80 yards or so. This was a double lung shot just above and behind the heart. The bullet did NOT make it through the offside rib cage.

Antelope buck was a long shot for me, 466yds. The wind got me a little bit, and I hit further back than I wanted, and ended up with a solid liver shot. We watched him run for a spell and then laid down. I made a wide circle approach for the finishing shot at about 45yds. The first shot hit the liver and back of the off-side lung. It did not exit. The follow up shot was placed bewtween the shoulder blades and caught the spine. That bullet was not found, and the enterance wound was the size of a plate! I wasn't expecting it to be quite that bad.

The last buck was not ranged. He was about 200yds or closer, just slightly quartered to me. I hit him tight to the shoulder about 1/3 the way up. He spun away and ran about 50-60 yards and fell. That bullet did not exit either.

I have no complaints about the results as far as taking game are concerned. What does concern me is that this bullet is marketed as performing similar to the Partition bullet does. I did expect better penetration from this bullet. I saw nothing better than what I shot for years in the Hornady Interlock, Nosler Ballistic Tip and Sierra GameKing. I just didn't experience the "premium" bullet thrill with this over the past few years.

Three other members in my hunting party carried 270's of some variety, 270 Win, 270SWM, and 270WBY. The WBY shoots Interlocks and did a fine job. The other WSM shot Federal Blue box factory ammo, and it performed wonderful. The 270 Win shoots my handloads of H4831 and a 130gr TSX. That rifle and load has shot 3 deer, 2 pigs and 1 antelope all with one shot kills. Some were at quite a distance too.

Now, am I happy with the results of the 130gr AccuBond? I'd say that I am. I just don't see it as the equal or better than the garden variety that has been available for decades.

not edited for spelling or grammar

With the Accubonds, I have only limited experience, but I've seen them shoot real well, expand real well, and hang together real well.

Since they expand so much, I don't think they penetrate quite as deep as the Partition - which tends to have the front end fold back and the rear stub of a bullet really doesn't have a very big frontal area.

That's my take anyway - that the AccuBond ends up pushing a bigger frontal area through the animal, which causes a lot of damage, but may not penetrate quite as well.

I go back & forth on the "premium" bullet thing. Mostly anymore I hunt with the Ballistic Tip, as mostly I hunt medium game, like deer, and the true premiums like the AccuBond, Partition, TTSX, etc... Simply aren't needed. A rapid expanding bullet like a Hornady SP or a Nosler Ballistic Tip does just peachy for medium game.

BTW - Good Shooting!

Regards, Guy

I have been shooting the Accubonds in my Model 70 for a couple of years now and they are accurate and can be depended on top deliver sub-MOA groups. All of my game killed with the .270 has been with Partitions and I know their work.

I have been using ABs for a number of years with a great amount of success in accuracy & hunting performance. I use the 130gr. in my 270win. I load 160gr. in the 7mm mag & now use the 225gr. in my 35 Whelen.
I received a call yesterday from Rocky Mountain Rifles & was advised that my new rifle is completed :) & I plan on shooting the 150ABLRs or the 168gr. ABLRs depending on the accuracy & animal I am hunting!
In my opinion they are the top of the heap & I know there is other quality billets out there but I use nothing but Nosler;)!!

Blessings,
Dan

sask boy":2bfj0gxr said:
I received a call yesterday from Rocky Mountain Rifles & was advised that my new rifle is completed :) & I plan on shooting the 150ABLRs or the 168gr. ABLRs depending on the accuracy & animal I am hunting!

Congratulations, Dan. I'll go by this afternoon and see if I can delay things a bit. I know you would appreciate working on the patience thing. :grin:

Thanks Doc, I know that I can always count on you to help with the learning aspect of life in general :wink:
I am afraid to call to see how much this is going to set me back :shock:

Blessings,
Dan

One thing is certain, Dan, they won't ship it until they have a credit card number or cash. So, it is of no consequence how much it costs. You can always clean up the damage to the plastic afterwards. Hmmmm. I wonder how much penetration to anticipate shooting a 150 LRAB into plastic? :grin: How many cards would we need to stack up?

MG, I had sorta similar experience with the 140 AB in elk. I do think it is a good bullet, but on one old bull I took, I thought there shoulda been "more" penetration. I have one of the recovered bullets and it hammered an onside leg bone, but I still believe a 140 or 150 PT would've smoked on thru. I do run the 140 AB's in my 264 Win Mag and that penetrates like crazy, but again, the 6.5 140 has quite alot of SD. I still like and use AB's but I tend to run the heavier end of them, same as a PT.

Either way, sounds like they work on the normal deer sized animals without a problem, but when I am running up against larger stuff, I would rather have some beef in my bullets. Again, even Nosler judges their Accubonds against their Partitions, so there you have it.... Great write up though.

Back