44 magnum loads

Laker_Taker

Beginner
Aug 17, 2007
Hello,
Just picked up a Ruger Blackhawk in a 44 mag. Never loaded for this round any info on powder or bullet weight?

thanks Aaron

I had a SBH and after buying my Redhawk it got little use so I sold it. Have loaded for them for many years. "MY" fav loads are 1) Hot Load--Mag primer 28grs of H-110 with a 200gr HP Nosler or Hornady bullet.2) Mild Load(fun /plinking load) mag or standard primer with 8grs of Unique with a 240-250gr lead bullet. I also have loaded the 250gr Nosler PAR bullet with a max load of H-110 and a mag primer for my HD load. The 200gr HP load has taken a number of deer, a large black bear,wild boar,ground squirrels and other assorted game including one pesty gopher. The mild load has taken squirrels and such.

All loads have been very accurate and I have found as have others that the faster you push a 44mag the better the acccuracy usually. I use Unique for mild loads as I had allot of it and it works well over a wide range of loading grains without troubles. I have also used Hi-Skor700-X since I had 25lbs of it and it worked just fine formild loads with lead bullets.
I prefer H-110 of mag and max loads over 2400 as it is much cleaner and gives higher speeds with super good accuracy. H-110 and Win296 are suppose to be the same powder but I get more speed over my chornograph with the H-110. Both give excellent accuracy.

My 2 Cents

My best shooting load thus far is a Nosler 240gr JHP/ Hornady XTP over 23.5gr of H110. Haven't ever shot reduced loads. This is what I shoot out of my 7.5" SBH. Scotty

The 44 Rem Mag is very easy to load for and can be very accurate.
I started with a Ruger SBH and now have a S&W 629 Classic. These loads have worked well for me

200 gr JHP
AA #9 23.0 grs
H110 26.0 grs

240 gr JHP/XTP
H110 23.5 grs

250 gr PP
H110 21.0 grs

300 gr XTP
H110 20.0 grs

All loads use W-W cases and CCI 350 primers but I have also used CCI 300 primers.
I have also shot 240 gr swagged lead bullets with Unique and Hi Score 700X but quit shooting these because they were so dirty.

The 44 Rem Mag is a fun one to load for and shoot. Enjoy....

JD338

My load experience is much like that of Divernhunter. Over the past 25 years I typically load the .44 to two levels:

Practice Level: 9 grains of Unique and a 250 gr cast bullet - very easy to shoot, but still more power than a .45 ACP.

Hang On Level: max or near-max charge of H110 with your choice of bullet from 240 - 300 grains...

A 240 gr JHP will go clear through the chest of a typical deer at handgun hunting distances. Cast SWC type bullets or heavier bullets are better for smashing through shoulders and such.

Regards, Guy

Pick a bullet weight and get to me. Possibilities are huge! too huge to list everything here.

My new favorite load in my 629 smith is 21.3 grains ww296, mag primer and a 310 grain trueshot slug by oregon trail. I'm seeing 1375 fps with great accuracy. I killed one deer with this load last season and it is really effective. I also really like 24.3 grains ww 296 with any 240 grain slug. This load is also around 1400 fps in my 8 3/8" 629 with excellent accuracy too. :grin: :grin:

Those sound like some really great shooting loads! I need to get some hard cast bullet to experiment with in the future. I would like to try out the 300-325gr range! Scotty

wow, sounds like a lot of good stuff here. This is what I have so far. I have H110 powder because I load for my 454 casull. I bought 240 grain bullets. I am planning on trying the lighter bullets first and than move to heavier. The 454 uses 300 grainers. So I thought I would start with the 240's for the 44 mag and move up to the 250 noslers. I have never tried a different bullet other than Nostlers in any of my Handguns. With my experience they just plain shoot.

Thanks for all replys.
Aaron

They really are great bullets. The frontal area really slams game and they will penetrate any animal they hit. They cause a cavitating woung channel that some say is more lethal than an expanding one. Their velocity is also great too. :grin: :grin:

That sounds pretty good to me. When you buy cast bullets, what diameter do you get? I would order some of the Beartooth Cast bullets, but I am kind of unsure which diameter I need. They list .429, .430 and .431 I think. I know I shoot .429 jacketed, just wondering about cast? Scotty

The oregon trail true shot bullets that I'm using are 0.430" in diameter. Usually the lead bullets will run a little bit larger than their jacketed counterparts. Most of the cast bullets that I see are 0.430". :grin: :grin:

Good deal. Thanks GB. I would like to try some of those big WN 325's in the Super Blackhawk. I would think they would be awesome for about anything I would hunt with a pistol and should blow right through both shoulders a bear without drama. Scotty

Back