.444 vs the 45 /70

Well, I had the .45/70 for nine years, and have had a .500 S&W for 12 years now - got it shortly after the big revolvers were introduced. I can discuss those two cartridges a bit:

Actually with the .500, I was struck by the similarities in ballistics, with the .45/70 cartridge.

For instance, in an 18" ported Guide Gun, my .45/70 was throwing a handloaded 405 gr bullet at 1650 fps.

From an 8" revolver, my .500 moves a 440 gr bullet at 1400 fps... Not a lot of difference in my book.

You can mess with those loads - and from a longer barreled .45/70 I picked up a surprising amount of velocity, using the exact same load. But yes, there's a lot of similarity between the two.

Running a .45/70 real hard, with a 22" or 24" barrel, a 400 gr bullet can top 2,000 fps... That's pretty brutal, but the loads are published by Hodgdon... And I've used them. Ugh.

Can a rifle chambered in .500 S&W do that? I don't know, never tried, but I suspect it can come fairly close if I can rather easily get 1400 fps in an 8" revolver, with a 440 gr bullet...

There ya go. My input. I like the .444 but have never messed with one, and have never loaded or fired a .460 S&W.

Guy

Guy gives a good overview.
Is your comparison a rifle vs handgun?

JD338

You want the ultimate lever?

Build a 50 Alaskan. No need for bullet expansion (per se)

Funny you should mention that, Fotis. I'm doing load work on a .50 Alaskan at the moment. Interesting cartridge.

Very interesting. Only drawback is the win 1886 or the browning 71 actions that are needed

You can convert the Marlin 1895 to 50 alaskan as well. It takes a tad bit of work but there are many good smiths out there who can do the job. JES reboring can bore out a 45/70 barrel. Wild west guns used to have all of there 50 alaskans rebored by JES before Jim got in a pissing match with Jesse and JES stopped doing work for them.

Guy Miner":1pgivyt9 said:
I don't know why... But I STILL want one of these .500 S&W lever action rifles!!!

http://www.bighornarmory.com/catalog/1/ ... -products/

Guy

Guy,

I love lever action rifles, but the 45/7- was just too much for me so we started looking for an alternative and we looked at EVERYTHING and I settled for the 348, which worked out great for me. During our search my grandfather visited both Wild West and Big Horn and he also fell in love with the Big Horn 500 S $ W and ordered one, but they are way to much for me.

Fotis

when we were looking wild west was still making the 50 Alaskan, but they have since discontinued making them. But they might know where there is one for sale. Sean ( Alaska100 ) has a 45/70 co pilot from wild west and really likes it

yellow Dog, what did you decide to get and why

Guy Miner":2a881u0i said:
I don't know why... But I STILL want one of these .500 S&W lever action rifles!!!

http://www.bighornarmory.com/catalog/1/ ... -products/

Guy
Wow, super nice gun, but boy, are the pricy..... I sold my Browning 1886 saddle ring carbine 45/70 for $1500.00, seeing that makes me wish I hadn't? But then again I wasn't using it enough, or at all to warrant owning it..... I don't like guns becoming Safe Queens. A great gun deserves to be used, and I don't have the space in my gun safe for something not being used!

A lot of fond memories though with more then a few lever guns, like most my first was a 30-30. The Browning was top notch stuff made in Japan and the action was super slick!

I'm still undecided. the smart money says 45/70. the wow factor says 500 s and w.

the practical side says why do you need any of them. I would really like a stainless guide gun in .460 s and w or 500 but they are outrageous in price.

Well, there's always the "both" answer.lol
You could start w the 45-70, shoot it a bit and see. If it won't get the job done or doesn't fit what you're looking for, trade up.(although I'm betting the 45-70 will make you smile)

Now, Dewey, now. Don't go gettin' all practical on us. Here is a marvelous opportunity to spend someone's money on things we all want to try. Why wait? Spend their money now! :mrgreen:

DrMike":2szbwfjl said:
Now, Dewey, now. Don't go gettin' all practical on us. Here is a marvelous opportunity to spend someone's money on things we all want to try. Why wait? Spend their money now! :mrgreen:
OH my he's feeling better very body better look out the master enabler is come back on line. :roll: :lol: :wink:

Dr mike,

Are you taking notes from congress on spending habits?

I already have a lever 45/70 marlin. I love it just not real sure its the gun I want.

He's not feeling that whippy, Rodger. A lingering cough and bronchial congestion is keeping me from batting 1.000...yet.

YD, to answer your question, why keep track of other people's spending? They earn the money, so I just spend it. Hey, they have to answer to their wives! :mrgreen: Hmmm. Maybe I have been influenced by politicians more than I thought! :shock:

YD,
Sorry, didn't know you already had the 45-70.
Well, that simplifies it though....now you need the 500 so you can road test it for the rest of us. JK. :)

You really do need a 500 S&W.

Many of us are awaiting your results of testing. Money? You can't take it with you and your beneficiaries will enjoy and appreciate the vast expenditures you made while working for three generations to pay off your debt. Rest assured they will think of you often.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Back