Nicely done Guy!
I enjoyed the video, very informative.

JD338

JD338":w824u9ia said:
Nicely done Guy!
I enjoyed the video, very informative.

JD338

Thanks Jim, but you already knew all that stuff. :grin:

It was awfully fun making the video and writing the article.

Regards, Guy

Great video Guy! Now I get to say I know a celebrity! Seriously though, really great video that’s very thorough. Top notch work.

Thanks! Gavin has had me in 4 of his videos now, and we're doing more together.

Guy

That was great video Guy!

I love how the .45-70 hits with major authority on that steel plate!

Keep up the good work!

Hawk

Couple of photos that came from the shooting session:

oKAMQqpl.jpg

uPzyb8dl.jpg

Can ya tell that I like Marlin rifles? :)

I think I was five years old or so when Dad first had me shooting 22 shorts from his Marlin 39m. That was sixty years ago... Wow... And I still like Marlins.

BTW, Dad is 94 now, still around, and still shooting that 22 Marlin 39m. :) He really likes his 380 handgun too, and still hunts pheasants with a nice 28 gauge CZ double-barrel shotgun. Ya, he's still my hero.

Guy

Completely agree. I have the exact same rifle and love it. There’s something about lever rifles that just gets me. It’s one I won’t part with that’s certain. I can’t say it’s my absolute favorite rifle but my 1895 is top 3, maybe even top 2. But the only one in front of it is my grandfathers Model 94 30 W.C.F. It has 5 digits in the serial number, was made in 1897 and still shoots great with 36.8 grains CFE223 and 150gr Hot Cor’s. He traded a Model A Ford for it.

Guy Miner":1bmsc4bi said:
Couple of photos that came from the shooting session:

oKAMQqpl.jpg

uPzyb8dl.jpg

Can ya tell that I like Marlin rifles? :)

I think I was five years old or so when Dad first had me shooting 22 shorts from his Marlin 39m. That was sixty years ago... Wow... And I still like Marlins.

BTW, Dad is 94 now, still around, and still shooting that 22 Marlin 39m. :) He really likes his 380 handgun too, and still hunts pheasants with a nice 28 gauge CZ double-barrel shotgun. Ya, he's still my hero.

Guy
That’s awesome Guy!

My dad, and grandpa got me hooked on lever actions at the tender age of 5.
My grandpa asked if my dad wanted to go shooting one day when we were visiting him and grandma, up in Custer, South Dakota. Not too far away from there is where my family immigrated to, in Belvedere, South Dakota.
But, anyways, my dad said yes, and where? My grandpa said out back of the house. Holy Crap! That was awesome in itself! Just walk out the back door, and have a mountainside for a backstop, and they put up the old, white paper plates, and started blasting away! My grandpa had his Ruger Blackhawk .44 Mag, and my dad had his Winchester Model 1873 carbine chambered in .44-40!
I was staring at them both shoot, but couldn’t take my eyes off of my dad’s rifle. Well, my dad must have noticed me staring, and then asked me if I wanted to shoot it? The happiness and joy bubbled into a yelling, Boy! Yeah!
I wasn’t strong enough to hold it on my own, and with a little help from my dad, I took 2 shots.
Needless to say I was hooked right then and there!
To this day, I can smell the pine trees in that crisp morning air, and seeing the early morning sunlight peeking through the trees onto the ground. And seeing the wood pile that my grandpa had made, and tacked the paper plates onto it.

That smile on your face says it all!
Probably not much different from the young boy who’s dad let him shoot his lever action Marlin 39!

Hawk

Great video! Nice stuff Guy...

You should've let him fire off a few of the old 425's and H322 loads you told me about way back when...

Those would've moved his ear muffs around :lol:

Those memories...
My dad died when I was 9 - 39 years ago.
He taught me shooting with an old Diana air rifle.
Fast forward about ten years ago, that was the first rifle my boys used.
By now my elder son is taller than me and has his own shotgun and since he is south-paw, too, can use my rifles.
Nothing better than pacing things you love to the kids

Gesendet von meinem Pixel 3a XL mit Tapatalk

SJB358":1s7vv1ck said:

You should've let him fire off a few of the old 425's and H322 loads you told me about way back when...

Those things were stout! :mrgreen: I've got some gas-checked 405's from Cast Performance Bullets, and some H322...

(y)

noslerpartition":2mw30bjb said:
Those memories...
By now my elder son is taller than me and has his own shotgun and since he is south-paw, too, can use my rifles.

You lost your dad way too early. I'm blessed that my dad is still with us, and doing pretty well for his mid 90's. He doesn't shoot often anymore, but he still shoots, often with the same little 22 Marlin.

Guy

Guy Miner":22qctu8i said:
SJB358":22qctu8i said:

Those things were stout! :mrgreen: I've got some gas-checked 405's from Cast Performance Bullets, and some H322...

(y)

I know when I fired them off, I copied your loads and decided there wasn't anything that needed that sorta killing locally...

Nice video (y)
If you have 378 WBY base case cartridges , you have the correct shell holder :grin:

Guy Miner":w47t2798 said:
noslerpartition":w47t2798 said:
Those memories...

You lost your dad way too early. I'm blessed that my dad is still with us, and doing pretty well for his mid 90's. He doesn't shoot often anymore, but he still shoots, often with the same little 22 Marlin.

Guy
Yeah. Definitely.
But I still see him every morning when I look in the mirror.
Even more so, when I see my brother. He looks more like him than I do.
I see him in my elder son.
I remember the basics of his idea of family.

I remember the first fish I caught with him.
The first pellet I shot.

As long as I remember that, he isn't really gone.

Great informative video. Although in saying that, a Ranger Point Precision loading gate spring is what the test rifle needs. My Marlin 1895 45/70 had a loading gate like a rat trap once ....all good now though.

While on the subject of the 45/70, here's a pic I took a few weeks back. After nearly 40 shots I managed to get two good ones - this was the best one.

29ujnK0.jpg

Great video; nice production, smooth editing, interesting subject, plain spoken hosts - just a nice video.

Back