45/70 w/ 425gr Piledriver JR's

SJB358

Ballistician
Dec 24, 2006
Fellers, I broke down and ordered 50 - 425gr Piledriver JR's cast by Beartooth. Guy has given me a good load with H322 that seems like a very smokin, potent load, but I am wondering if any of you all have loaded and killed game with them. I still have quite some time before I will actually get to load and shoot them, but they have a big FN and look like pretty deadly bullets. I think I should be able to get them up into the 1800-1900 range with my Guide Gun. Anyhow, just looking to see if any of you all have had the chance to take game with them. Scotty

Here is the link, just scroll down and check out the 425's.

http://www.beartoothbullets.com/bulletselect/index.htm

I have some 430 grain trueshot bullets that I shoot in my 450 guide gun. I've tried several starting loads and I'm seeing 1700 fps with excellent accuracy with all of them. Bullets touching at 50 yards. 1900 fps is in reach. I never stoked them up anymore because I'm dealing with a scope issue. I ran out of up adjustment and I'm still trying to figure out what I'm going to do about that.
I have never hunted with this bullet, but I have killed a deer with a 310 grain trueshot slug in my 44 mag revolver(1400 fps) and the wound channel was impressive. It was a double lung hit. I have no doubt that this slug in a rifle will be a hammer. :grin: :grin:

Not uncommon to have a scope run out of elevation adjustment on a Marlin. Consider using a one-piece base, and shimming it. I can't recommend shimmnig a two-piece base, but with a one-piece, it's a simple and common "fix" to the problem.

Or you could try those Burris scope rings with the plastic inserts. They can accommodate quite a bit of elevation change.

GB300wm":12nkidh0 said:
I have some 430 grain trueshot bullets that I shoot in my 450 guide gun. I've tried several starting loads and I'm seeing 1700 fps with excellent accuracy with all of them. Bullets touching at 50 yards. 1900 fps is in reach. I never stoked them up anymore because I'm dealing with a scope issue. I ran out of up adjustment and I'm still trying to figure out what I'm going to do about that.
I have never hunted with this bullet, but I have killed a deer with a 310 grain trueshot slug in my 44 mag revolver(1400 fps) and the wound channel was impressive. It was a double lung hit. I have no doubt that this slug in a rifle will be a hammer. :grin: :grin:

Thanks GB. That certainly sounds good. I can't wait to see them. They look like pretty stout slugs. Can't wait to see how they shoot. I also got some 250gr WFN for my 44, so they will get loaded up also. Figure the 250 is what made the 44 Rem Mag, so these should work pretty well for me. Scotty

Those Piledrivers are impressive bullets. i am going to play with them one of these days....
I have some 458 cal 350 gr Hard Cast bullets that I am going to start testing shortly. I shot a few at a low velocity and boy did they drop! I could understand running out of scope adjustment.

JD338

I can see that. I ran out of elevation on my rear sight of my Guide Gun, just getting the 400gr Speers zeroed at 50 meters. I know they were going much faster than the factory 405's would have gone also. I think my scope should have plenty of adjustment, so I think I am good. I can't wait to lob a few of those downrange. Never shot anything over 400gr's (unless you count a 12ga Slug) until I got my 45-70. I am thinking the 425's PDJ's should be enlightening.

Jim, I think you should go straight to the 525's... I will cover down on the 425's for ya. I would think you could shoot through trees with the 525's! Scotty

I bet those 525 gr PD's would be hard to stop!

As an FYI, I zeroed in at 100 yds with 300 gr loads at 2100-2200 fps and the 405 gr SP at 1840 fps hits about a foot lower at 100 yds.

JD338

Jim, that is a good reference. I am looking forward to trying out the 300gr BST's also. I think those will be a hot ticket in the deer woods. I bet the are going to flatten deer! Scotty

Guy Miner":1w28ex2o said:
Not uncommon to have a scope run out of elevation adjustment on a Marlin. Consider using a one-piece base, and shimming it. I can't recommend shimmnig a two-piece base, but with a one-piece, it's a simple and common "fix" to the problem.

Or you could try those Burris scope rings with the plastic inserts. They can accommodate quite a bit of elevation change.

Thanks for the great advice Guy. I do have a 1 piece leupold base and rings with a 2.5 x 8 scope. I will do that as I was stumped as to what exactly to do about the issue at hand. I'm guessing that I need to shim the rear of the base a few thousands. Any suggestions on how much? :grin: :grin:

Back