450 Marlin vs 45-70

Charlie, I screwed up, pretty simple. LOL.

I have basically decided to wait to find a 45-70. While it gives me pause to contemplate the need to keep things well segregated when I also get a Trapdoor Springfield like I want to some day, I can figure that out at the necessary time.

dewey7271":2hzmw3r6 said:
Ha!
Dr Mike, you're a bad influence! :grin:

Moi? You, sir, have mistaken me for someone else. Scotty, perhaps?

dewey7271":2hzmw3r6 said:
Was asked by SWMBO how many rifles are enough? I answered that this is a scientific experiment and the reason for all of these is that I'm trying to determine what that number is......didn't work.

Yeah, but that is a great answer, nevertheless. :mrgreen:

tddeangelo":2hzmw3r6 said:
My wife asked why I need it. I replied "Oh, dear, I'm so far past 'need'.....I just want it."

Well said, Tom. My wife has surrendered the inevitable and says nothing about my rifles, and I say nothing about her trips back into the States.

.280 Remington":1qeluycc said:
Tom, Tom, Tom, what are we going to do with you...................... :D

Hard tellin Mike. Remember, we gotta get to him 5 times... He will cave after the 5th. Pretty sure our work is done, he is stewing in his own juice now.. Man, I wished I was closer, I would take mine over and let him put a few rounds threw it. Never seen anyone not get one shortly afterwords.

Oldtrader3":1xzxm74l said:
Tom, I do not know what these cost now but I paid $500 for ported 1895 Guide Gun in Stn Stl (New) and I paid $370 for 1895 rifle (22 inch barrel, not ported) new. Both local gun store pricing. I had to buy rifle after son saw guide gun!

I stayed away form .450 Mag because it is hard to find brass locally and it has less capacity then the .45-70 case, although pressures are higher. I can get all the thump that I need from 350 Hornady's at 1900 fps from .45-70's without breaking a sweat.

Your old 1895SS is in good hands Charlie.. It shoots well!

29CE839A.jpg

dewey7271":16ei23yn said:
Ha!
Dr Mike, you're a bad influence! :grin:
Problem is, the itch got scratched a lot this year. Was asked by SWMBO how many rifles are enough? I answered that this is a scientific experiment and the reason for all of these is that I'm trying to determine what that number is......didn't work.
Sorry, didn't mean to hijack guys.
Dewey

Just one more...

Well, despite a brief, intense burn, I think my lever gun interest is about burned out.....too many other irons in the fire, at least for now. Maybe some day I'll come back around to it. I appreciate all the info folks shared, though!

Scotty, I always could get sub MOA groups with that .45-70 and even with .300 Winchester Silver Tips, or 350 Speer and Hornady's. Nobody believed me isn the three and out competition but you get the same groups that I did, two touching and one out a little.

Tom, you can't spread tooo thin. If you are going to buy Pre 64 Winchester's, you need to stay focused!

tddeangelo":1qkbekpg said:
Well, despite a brief, intense burn, I think my lever gun interest is about burned out.....too many other irons in the fire, at least for now. Maybe some day I'll come back around to it. I appreciate all the info folks shared, though!

Tom, you can't quit now. :? This thread is just getting started! :wink:

LOL, Mike.

No, I need to finish up other things already "in progress" first, and really, when hunting seasons here end in late January, then I know my interest will really drop on the whole thing anyway.

It's a neat idea, one I may very well come back to again in the future. For now, though, I'm going to shelve it.

Tom

thank god you didnt buy it, it would have been a mistake.

Save your money and get a Wild West 457 Magnum, which will also let you use regular 45/70 ammo. It is a Marlin 1895, with conversions. This is one sweet gun. I love the 45/70 lever and recommend you get one someday, when it is right for you ( you do have three girls to put through college ) They offer several upgrades that you may or may not want, but I recommend you consider the large loop for sure. One of our lady members here also likes them. One last point. If your ammo is lost or you run out, the 45/70 is everywhere, not so with the 450

alaska100":1gzzb778 said:
Tom

thank god you didnt buy it, it would have been a mistake.

Save a hell of a lot your money and get a Wild West 457 Magnum, which will also let you use regular 45/70 ammo.

There you go I fixed it. :p :p :p

After much swapping, trading and manipulating, I ended up with a MARLIN, GBL, in 45/70. Pulled off the ghost ring and front sight and low mounted a 4 power Leupold on it. Have not fired it much as yet but tumbled a box of brass this AM, and maybe get it on the bench in a few days. Load right now is 51 gr. 3031, with 350 grain hard cast. I went with the 45/70 because I am more of a traditional kind of guy, and I have access to a lot of free stuff for the 70. I have over 100 cases now and have yet to buy one. Three boxes of loaded ammo have also come my way through great friends. It's the only lever rifle I have ever owned but it feels good in the woods. I still have a happy trigger to install, maybe get to that in the near future.

Well, it all may be rendered academic anyway.....another purpose for the funds for this project may be on the horizon. As I said, I was losing enthusiasm for the idea to begin with, and now I got a call that may, depending on some other factors, change the landscape a bit. We shall see.

Good luck Tom.
When the time is right, jump on a 1895 Guide 45-70.

JD338

I intend to eventually! If not the Marlin, at some point, I want to get a Trapdoor Springfield for my milsurp collection. Yeah, I know, they need care when loading for them. I have a Krag, 1903, 1903A3, 2 Garands, and an M1 Carbine. A Trapdoor, M14-clone, and AR15 would round out my US military collection nicely, I think. ;)

tddeangelo":2n8tgvbc said:
I intend to eventually! If not the Marlin, at some point, I want to get a Trapdoor Springfield for my milsurp collection. Yeah, I know, they need care when loading for them. I have a Krag, 1903, 1903A3, 2 Garands, and an M1 Carbine. A Trapdoor, M14-clone, and AR15 would round out my US military collection nicely, I think. ;)

Tom,

Sounds like you need 2 45-70's!
If you get a chance to shoot a 1895 Guide, you will be impressed. Accuracy is unreal, shooting better than some bolt guns! My best group with the Nosler 300 gr BST went .400" at 100 yds, one ragged hole. And that big .458 diameter bullets hits hard.

I am a die hard bolt guy but the Marlin 1895 Guide gun kinda changed that. :wink:

JD338

tddeangelo":3g7oma1x said:
LOL, Mike.

No, I need to finish up other things already "in progress" first, and really, when hunting seasons here end in late January, then I know my interest will really drop on the whole thing anyway.

It's a neat idea, one I may very well come back to again in the future. For now, though, I'm going to shelve it.

Quitters never really win Tom. Here when I thought you were maturing as a shooter!

Mike/Pat, I am not sure how to keep Tom from falling down this slippery slope of quitting so easily..

Back