450 Marlin vs 45-70

tddeangelo":8n2pjsem said:
I have no doubt! It'll happen....one day. Just not today. ;)

Cool buddy. We are here when you are ready.

JD338

JD338":3aru4kru said:
I am a die hard bolt guy but the Marlin 1895 Guide gun kinda changed that. :wink:

JD338

I was the same way Jim until I started shooting that model 71. Now after seeing what damage it does, I want to go bigger...No I don't want to convert it to 50 Alaskan, I think I want a 45/70 :grin:

Pat, check out the 50 Alaskans. They are pretty cool too. I really dig the 45-70. It is all hammer! You'd have a blast with one.

pre6422hornet":jmjygpiq said:
JD338":jmjygpiq said:
I am a die hard bolt guy but the Marlin 1895 Guide gun kinda changed that. :wink:

JD338

I was the same way Jim until I started shooting that model 71. Now after seeing what damage it does, I want to go bigger...No I don't want to convert it to 50 Alaskan, I think I want a 45/70 :grin:

Pat,

The 45-70 is a hammer. Big hole in and a bigger hole out.
My Guide gun can push 300 gr bullets over 2200 fps and the 405 gr at 1850 fps. These are warm but not max loads. The 300 gr PT penetrates 8 jugs of water and a hard cast heavy weight will penetrate into tomorrow.
Accuracy is excellent and getting sub MOA is not difficult.

Hope you can add a 1895 45-70 to your collection, you will be glad you did.

JD338

pre6422hornet":2u8savwb said:
JD338":2u8savwb said:

JD338

Pat,

Just go get one and don't even think twice about it! Call me if you need Moto :mrgreen:

pre6422hornet":9ae7ks9c said:
Man Tom, you sure did change road you were traveling right quick.

Yes, I did.

Persuasion is a funny thing. Sometimes it has exactly the opposite effect of what was intended.

I will circle back around to a lever gun some point. Other things in the mix for me at the moment, so it works out for the best anyway.

A bit of a high jack here, but a local shop has a very nice 450 Marlin, ported, non-Remlin and like new. It' a consignment with an asking price of $450, no sales tax in Oregon. I'm tempted to make an offer, but I'm not sure if I like the ported barrel. The brass issue isn't a biggie to me since I can get 100 Hornady cases and be good for a lifetime. I think it would be a fun gun to carry in the tall timber while calling bears. Should I jump on this one? It seems to be prices about $100 below all others I've seen.

That 450 Marlin would be an excellent carry gun for the deep woods. It will smack a bear right smartly. That doesn't appear to be a bad price, either.

MG

That is a good price. The porting isn't bad. With the 18.5" barrel, its going to be loud anyways.
My Guide gun is a 45-70 and its ported.

JD338

MG
I think that is a good price. If you are wanting something like that, its a good deal.

That is indeed a pretty good price. Kinda the same decision I was facing, as there is a similar gun here local to me for $500.

Sorry if it's a stupid question, but what year did Remington become involved?
Are there serial numbers to tell?
Dewey

Remington acquired Marlin January 2008. Remington promised not to "interfere" with Marlin operation or employees. Two years later, Remington announced that Marlin would be shut down and all 230+ employees would be furloughed. Marlin production operations would be integrated into Remington operations (2010). By the end of 2010, Marlin was dead and was a footnote in history. Marlin was founded in 1870.

Often large companies do this to their smaller competitiors. However, the large companies can not make a good product and be competitive and the enterprise fails as Marlin is doing now. Often this results in a leveraged buyout and the absorbed company gets a new life with employee ownership. One can only hope!

Marlin has a JM proof mark on the LEFT side of the barrel.

JD338

Mountain Goat":28in4mtn said:
A bit of a high jack here, but a local shop has a very nice 450 Marlin, ported, non-Remlin and like new. It' a consignment with an asking price of $450, no sales tax in Oregon. I'm tempted to make an offer, but I'm not sure if I like the ported barrel. The brass issue isn't a biggie to me since I can get 100 Hornady cases and be good for a lifetime. I think it would be a fun gun to carry in the tall timber while calling bears. Should I jump on this one? It seems to be prices about $100 below all others I've seen.

Tell you what, If you don't like it, I know a guy up North who will take it for what you have in to it if you don't like it...

So, hypothetically speaking, if a rifle were for sale that was bought by the original owner in 2010, that rifle might stand a chance of being Marlin-made?

Tom, just look for the JM proof mark on the barrel. That proof mark signifies a Marlin product.

I'm not going to pursue it, Charlie, was just curious. Sounds like it's plausible it could be a Marlin. The seller doesn't know, so I may indicate to him how to check.

Back