450 Marlin vs 45-70

Oldtrader3":62jbbcr4 said:
Tom, just look for the JM proof mark on the barrel. That proof mark signifies a Marlin product.

The Marlin JM proof mark is on the LEFT side of the barrel

JD338

Thank you all for the info.
I did not know year or about the proof mark.
Dewey

Tom, a rifle made in 2010 could be either. It would be good to tell this person how to check his rifle's proofmarks.

This is true. I believe that a couple of guns that I bought had sat in Kesselring's (our local gun emporium) inventory for 3-4 years when I bought them. I score a deal there every so often because they lose the box and papers on a gun and it gets a few minor dings from being on their overpacked shelves for too long

Then I saw the price tag of $475 and I put it back before doing something that would cause my better half to do horrible things to me while I slept later that night.

Well,,,,,here's what I do.
#1- don't ask permission
#2- plead ignorance and beg forgiveness
#3- hide all the bobbitt thingies, or anything resembling such.
Arguably, #3 should be listed as #1.
Other than that, my vote goes to holding out for another .45-70.

Woodycreek":t7fq03zb said:
pre6422hornet":t7fq03zb said:
JD338":t7fq03zb said:
I am a die hard bolt guy but the Marlin 1895 Guide gun kinda changed that. :wink:

JD338

I was the same way Jim until I started shooting that model 71. Now after seeing what damage it does, I want to go bigger...No I don't want to convert it to 50 Alaskan, I think I want a 45/70 :grin:

Pat,

Just go get one and don't even think twice about it! Call me if you need Moto :mrgreen:

No moto needed Brian. Just a matter of time. I really like the look and feel of a 1895SS. Watching one now on Gbroker.

Pat, there is (or maybe was), an 1895ss at Cabela's here for 450. Looked in nice shape. If you want, I can check it out again for you?

BK":27vqo1vl said:
Mountain Goat":27vqo1vl said:
A bit of a high jack here, but a local shop has a very nice 450 Marlin, ported, non-Remlin and like new. It' a consignment with an asking price of $450, no sales tax in Oregon. I'm tempted to make an offer, but I'm not sure if I like the ported barrel. The brass issue isn't a biggie to me since I can get 100 Hornady cases and be good for a lifetime. I think it would be a fun gun to carry in the tall timber while calling bears. Should I jump on this one? It seems to be prices about $100 below all others I've seen.

Tell you what, If you don't like it, I know a guy up North who will take it for what you have in to it if you don't like it...

I'm headed to the gun shop this morning to "check it out" one more time. I'll keep you in mind, Kurt, if it gets to that point. They also have a Vanguard S2 25-06 with an Elite 3-9x40 for $450. My girlfriend's son needs a deer rifle, and that would be a great start!

Mountain Goat":1fnhvi9o said:
I'm headed to the gun shop this morning to "check it out" one more time. I'll keep you in mind, Kurt, if it gets to that point. They also have a Vanguard S2 25-06 with an Elite 3-9x40 for $450. My girlfriend's son needs a deer rifle, and that would be a great start!

Good luck MG! That VG2 sounds like a good one too..

SJB

I'm a bit of a sucker for the 25-06. It provides a lot of smack with little recoil.

As for the 450 Marlin, like the 45-70, it's just plain COOL!

Without a doubt MG. I finally have an accurate 25-06 in the safe to monkey with. Looking forward to shooting it more.

Yeah, just about anything 45 caliber is fun to shoot!

Back