50BMG Build

ScreaminEagle

Handloader
Jan 20, 2011
I have been thinking of building something big. Can they be built without having to take out a second mortgage on the house? How would you go about building one?
Steve

Not sure it's worth building one.

Fellow here in town bought one of those AR-50's some years back. Pulled the barrel, re-cut the chamber to match specs, put it back on and entered a long-range .50 cal match. I think he took third...

They were only a couple of thousand dollars then, I see list is up around $3500 now:

http://www.armalite.com/ItemForm.aspx?item=50A1B

I suppose a fellow could build one, but with results like he got from a tuned-up factory rifle... I dunno...

Guy

Recoil management is tough. I've been shooting my Sako TRG-42 338 LM this past week, testing loads. Even with the brake, which is very good at recoil reduction, it is still very hard having shot-to-shot consistency shooting prone off the bipod.

The 50BMG would be even worse to control, which makes it even harder to place shots accurately at those extreme long ranges. Besides, the cost per shot is very expensive, but hey, if you really want one, don't let my opinion stop you.

Back