55g Nosler BT & Varget

lakesidefoxfarm

Beginner
May 5, 2007
I have been trying to find a load that groups well using 55g. Nosler BT and Varget powder for my Savage Model 12 22-250. I can't seem to get a real good grouping with that combination. Has anyone had any success using these together? I was thinking about trying RL-15 powder next. Also I might try using the 50g Nosler BT.

You would likely have better luck w/ 5o grainers considering that more than likely your 22-250 hase a slower twist rate and would stabilize the 50s better i have a 223 a with a 1-9 barrel and it likes the 50gr bullets so much better not to forget the better velocities.

Try the Nosler 50 gr BT with 36.0 grs Varget in your 22-250.
If your rifle has a 1:14" its preference will be the lighter bullets. The 55 gr may or may not shoot well for you. The 50 gr BT should do just fine.

My 700 VLS 22-250 has a 1:14 twist and shoots the above mentioned load in the .5"s.

JD338

My 22-250 has a 1-12 twist. I figured the 55 grainers would stabilize. I will have to try the 50 grainers and see what happens.

The 1:12 twist will be fine for 55 gr BT's. Give the 50 gr BT's a try. They work great on woodchucks and coyotes. Exit wounds on yotes through the slats is about the size of a nickle.

JD338

I will be using these loads strictly for coyotes. Sounds like the 50 grainers are pretty easy on the pelts as I do save them. Do most varmint hunters FL size or just neck size their brass?

My remington 700 VSF 22-250 will not group 55 BT at all,but will keep 50's in .250" if i do my part.I neck size for all my bolt actions,FL for the others. 8)

I have been trying the 55 gr BT but haven't been able to beat the accuracy I get from the 50 gr BT.

JD338

I also shoot the 50gr Ballistic Tips from my 22-250, but I use Viht N-140 powder. I also neck size for this rifle. Seems to really be saving my brass, not to mention the awesome accuracy that I have been getting.

I shoot the 55 BT's with 34 grs of Varget behind them in my Kimber 22-250. I have had great results. I seat them about .10 off the lands.

lakesidefoxfarm, I also have a Savage mod 12 (fv) I tried for the longest time to work an accurate load with Varget/55gr combo. The load I finally worked up is 35 gr H380 in a Remington Case, Federal Gold Medal Match Primers and a 55gr Nosler Ballistic Tip Spitzer bullet. I can put 5 rounds into a .30 cal hole.

Good Luck
Bob

I finally found a good load for my 22-250 using 50g Nosler BT. I used 36.0g of Varget. I put 10 shots within 3/4" at 100 yards. Plenty good for hunting coyotes. I haven't shot over 100 yards, but I anticipate no problems with accuracy. Back on the shelf with the 55 grainers at least until I build my 22-243 Middlested.

As of now my best group with my LVSF 22-250 has been the Nosler 55 grainers with 33.5 gns Varget and CCI primers. But today I will try 50 gn B.T's with Varget and Federal primers. I really did not want to use Federals, even though they are my favorite primers over all, because I am down to 500 of em with no immediate hope of getting more in the near future.

Long

longwinters":3fm5e05l said:
As of now my best group with my LVSF 22-250 has been the Nosler 55 grainers with 33.5 gns Varget and CCI primers. But today I will try 50 gn B.T's with Varget and Federal primers. I really did not want to use Federals, even though they are my favorite primers over all, because I am down to 500 of em with no immediate hope of getting more in the near future.

Long

Long,

What do you need?

Give me a call.

JD338

JD,

I will give you a call tomorrow, house full of people just left so its clean up time. The youngest just turned 19. I'm feelin a bit older :lol:

Talk to you tomorrow.

Long.

Back