5lb tannerite explosion!

DeerTracker

Handloader
Nov 19, 2010
Yesterday we were bbqing and decided to shoot some tannerite. I had a 2.5lb container in my pickup so I mixed it up and set it out on a fence post about 100 yards away. All I have to say is, it's a good thing I have to tear this fence out anyways and build a new one on the real property line. It messed up the fence post. It also rattled the windows in my grandparents house.
null_zps71c7430f.jpg
. There were chunks of post in a 40 yard radius around the post.

This afternoon we mixed up 5lbs and put it way out in the field for fear we would knock windows out if we put it where I put the one yesterday. So I hung it on a tree branch of an old dead aspen way out in the pasture about 200 yards away. The shockwave was impressive to feel!
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7didGSuPkjg

I couldn't believe it didn't blow the tree down. It stripped most of the branches off and put a big dent in the tree and knocked chunks out of the backside. Also messed up the grass all around and blew the bark off dead trees about 10 yards away!

It was hanging on the broke off branch right above the dent
null_zpsca4fc41f.jpg

null_zps9f14b3a0.jpg

Dent from the side
null_zps8e358e97.jpg

Knocked all the bark off the free
null_zpsd545b0ee.jpg

Grass laid down
null_zps0463e64c.jpg

Tannerite is fun stuff!

Guys, if your local gun shop doesn't carry Tannerite... Bug them to do so.

Now I have to admit, I've never shot a 5 pound chunk of it before!

Guy

On youtube, there is videos of people shooting HUGE amounts of it. WAY more than 5lbs at a time.

Very cool! It is pretty fun stuff.. It is like crack for us Rednecks! :lol:

Ok. I'll bite.
I am intrigued but have no idea what this stuff is. (FWIW, my wife says I'm a total redneck so I fit the description)
Anything you can shoot that goes boom and tears up fence posts is cool.
You guys mind educating?
Dewey

Edit: just saw the video. Now I REALLY gotta know about this. I'm still laughing.

Dewey, it is pretty fun stuff, you can usually find it in Cabela's, Gander Mountain or other shooting sports kinda places.

Thanks Scotty!
A reason to visit the new Cabelas in Columbus. Like I need one. :lol:
Dewey

dewey7271":2f4xcdna said:
A reason to visit the new Cabelas in Columbus. Like I need one. :lol:

Justification for our predilection is always welcomed. One can never tell when a spouse will question our actions.

Well put Dr Mike.
I can hear the conversation now....
Wife: cabelas again?
Me: yep
Wife: what's this trip for?
Me: well, the guys on the forum told me about this stuff that you mix up, shoot at, it blows up trees and fenceposts. I need some.

Yessir. Going to be a dandy conversation. :lol:
Dewey

Hmmmmm! You might want to refine that conversation somewhat. :grin:

Nah! My better half knows all about the stuff. She is ok letting our son tag along for range days like that. Matt makes certain to tell her all about the big boom :mrgreen:

Back