6.5-280AI Questions

benchracer

Beginner
Oct 18, 2008
Does anyone have any experience with this wildcat? Could cases for this cartridge be formed simply by necking down Nosler Custom .280AI brass with no other changes? Does anyone know where I might obtain reloading dies for this cartridge? I thought that I had seen them on midway's website, but can't find them now.

I am looking to have a custom rifle built and chambered for a fast 6.5 based on the 30-06 or .280 case. I could go with .264 Hawk, but the 6.5-280AI interests me if I can reload for it without having to fireform cases.

Welcome to the forum.

I question that the headspace would be right? If the formed case is too big at all then its shoulder may need to be pushed back by the FL die.

To be frank I would look at the 6.5-284 as its so much more popular.

http://www.6mmbr.com/sixfive284.html

Lapua_Casex320H.jpg

better look elsewhere for brass, from my experience, nosler brass won't handle as much pressure as any other brand, I was blowing primers fireforming my 6.5 Gibbs using nosler cases that rem. and winchester took in stride. not a good thing to say on this forum but its the results of my efforts. broke 2 extractors from blown primers fireforming nosler cases.
If it were me doing it again I'd use a broughton 5C barrel at least 28" long, chambered in 6.5/06 using lapua 30/06 brass. should give you 3100+ fps with a 140.
RR

Thankyou for welcoming me to the forum. I am glad to be among another group of serious shooters and I appreciate being granted the opportunity to tap into the deep well of knowledge and experience that I know is present here.

My custom rifle will be a hunting rifle, so I don't want a long barrel. I plan on using a 24" barrel. However, the suggestion to use good 30-06 brass and chamber the rifle to 6.5-06 seems like a practical idea. I am only really looking to achieve between 2900 and 3000fps with a 140 gr bullet. If I want something with slightly more case capacity, I am thinking that the .264 Hawk might also be a good option. Regardless, it appears that I will have to accept fireforming cases regardless of which '06 based wildcat I decide to go with.

Though going the 6.5-284 route would most assuredly be easier and more practical, that is just not what I want. For a variety of reasons, I prefer the '06 case.

Ridge_Runner":21iq2a7f said:
better look elsewhere for brass, from my experience, nosler brass won't handle as much pressure as any other brand, I was blowing primers fireforming my 6.5 Gibbs using nosler cases that rem. and winchester took in stride. not a good thing to say on this forum but its the results of my efforts. broke 2 extractors from blown primers fireforming nosler cases.
If it were me doing it again I'd use a broughton 5C barrel at least 28" long, chambered in 6.5/06 using lapua 30/06 brass. should give you 3100+ fps with a 140.
RR

Well the good news is I had this same problem with light loads on my 25-06AI. Nosler is aware of the problem and they should have a good batch of brass to look at on monday. My theory is the primer pockets were over sized form the get go.

As for the question, If it were me I would go 6.5-06 if you want the simplicity or 6.5-284. Both will achieve what you want. The only thing to say is the 284 based cartrage might be a little harder to get to feed well but any good smith should be able to work that out for you.

Howdy, and welcome to the forum. I shoot a 6.5-'06 ( a hunting rifle). Fred Huntington pioneered the 6.5 on a .280 cartridge case, so I would check with RCBS on dies.

I would also think about the .264 Win Mag.

I have a .300 RCM, and my first thought looking at the case was that it would make a really neat 6.5. ;)

jim

Back