6.5 creedmoor or 240 weatherby magnum

wildman

Beginner
Jun 13, 2009
I'm going to buy a new rifle in either a 240 weatherguard or a 6.5 creed in a savage lwt hunter. Any help you could give me as to which would be the best cartridge and most versatile would be much appreciated . Will be hunting whitetail deer and wild hogs mainly with shots out to 500 yards .

I don't own either but I've been seeing a lot of 6.5's show up at my local range. I haven't talked to anyone yet who hasn't had one that will shoot well, if not exceptionally well.

I happen to have S2 vanguards in both of these. Each has its own merits and supporters. That said if I was only to have one I d personally call the 6.5 more versatile, it would enjoy longer barrel life and don't let its small size fool you with its long range potential and ability to carry high energy! Trajectory within reasonable hunting distances is the Weatherbys niche.

Maybe the 6.5 first then save up and grab a 240...

I would lean towards the 6.5 as well, especially if you run into larger hogs. The higher SD and bullet weights will provide better penetration, and the higher BC's will also help at the longer ranges.

I took a bull moose this fall with my 6.5 Creedmoor, and have used the 6.5x55 successfully on deer, moose and elk with 140 gr bullets.

While I too am interested in the 240 Wby, it will be specifically used for deer, antelope and maybe up to caribou. But will probably step up to the 6.5 or bigger for the latter.

I have a church member who has used his Mark V in 240W and Nosler 95PT for decades out here. He and his son have taken some big bull elk with that load too, countless muleys and antelope too! It is also my favorite 6mm for big game. However, for a one rifle, I would lean toward that 6.5 Creedmoor and for hogs/elk, etc use the 125PT or the 120 Barnes or similar monobullet. I base that on what I saw the 125PT/6.5-284 do to game...great combo. I know the Creed "ain't no" 6.5/284 (which is really a humdinger of a round, right on the heels of a 264WM) but it is certainly racking up good reviews, results. Good luck to you.

Well I may have messed up but I went and ordered a rifle today .I looked and studied on the 6.5 creed looked at different rifles over and over again .Studied ballistics and finally decided the 6.5 creed wasn't for me.I ordered a 260 rem. in a Tikka hunter ,I hope it's a good one .

The 260 Rem is fun to shoot and the Tikka's shoot very well. I'm sure you will enjoy it.

Have fun hunting deer and hogs with it!

Thoughts on preferred bullet(s) yet?

I'm thinking about the 125 nos part. also want to try the 129 sst .I have never had a Tikka before but have always liked how smooth there actions where so thought i would try one never heard anyone have any thing bad to say about one .

Tikka's are very accurate, the 260 Rem is every bit as good as the 6.5 Creemoor and the Tikka will have a 1 in 8 twist which is good as well. Great choice.

I have a Savage 260 but my wife shoots a T 3 6.5x55 which has not disappointed in any way.

Divernhunter":294l9572 said:
You should be very happy with the 260Rem

I was going to throw that out there as a suggestion. I have heard rumors the Uncle Sam may be going to the 260 Rem. If so, the 6.5 may finally get the credit it deserves. If they do you will be ready for Mil surp brass!! I like the creed only for the fact that it was based on a ackley'd 250 Savage :) .. Interestingly enough. Mr Newton, who desiged the 250, also came up with something called the 256 Newton. An ignored 6.5 way ahead of its time, lost to the vagaries of economics and wwI if I read correctly.

With the popularity of the Creed hopefully Remington will get with the program and start providing rifles with the right twist and ammo options for you. Come to think of it isn't the 260 based on the 308? How can you go wrong? There should always be brass for it. Enjoy and let us know how the project goes. CL

cloverleaf":hxnt34b9 said:
With the popularity of the Creed hopefully Remington will get with the program and start providing rifles with the right twist and ammo options for you. Come to think of it isn't the 260 based on the 308? How can you go wrong? There should always be brass for it. Enjoy and let us know how the project goes. CL

It took almost 20 years but Remington is offering a 1 in 8 twist finally, others like Sako, Tikka and Savage have been offering a 1 in 8 for quite a while. I do hope Remington will offer some better factory loads, they haven't done a good job with that. Interestingly Hornady is loading 260 Rem ammo this year with the 129 gr SST and 130 gr ELD-match.

In the past I have made ammo from 243 and 308 but for a long time have bought properly head stamped brass. Like the 6.5 Creedmoor, the 260 is easy to load and is a very accurate round.

I have always been a fan of the 308 win. was one of the reasons why I went with the 260 instead of the 6.5 creed I like the fact that the 308 is what the 260 made from .

Both are cool rounds.. If it was strictly for deer hunting the 240 Wby is pretty enticing. Running a good 90-100 grain bullet out at warp speeds makes a rangefinder useless under all but the longest ranges..

Wildman, looks as if you made a sound selection. You will like the Tikka, I'm sure. The 260 Rem is a fine cartridge that will do what you want.

I am very pleased with my 260. My grand son has one that he has put a hurting on a lot of white tailed deer with over the last 4 or 5 years. I think you will be happy with it.

wildman, Just looked it up. I like the looks of it.
Didn't see the weight though. what does it weigh?

Al in SC":cir0zbm1 said:
wildman, Just looked it up. I like the looks of it.
Didn't see the weight though. what does it weigh?
It weighs 6.8 pounds....

Ream it out to the 260 Ackley Improved and you are essentially running a 6.5/284! I can guarantee you that one is a flat shooting/wind defying round! :)

Back