6.5 Creedmoor--What works for you?

Alderman

Handloader
Apr 5, 2014
After a disastrous trip to Cabela's (feel free to read my review on product reviews) we stopped at the local Sportsman's Warehouse to purchase a Savage 6.5 Creedmoor for my grandson.
I've never shot a Savage, nor a Creedmoor but judging by the 4 shot 100 yard group at 100 yards with the first factory ammo he tried, maybe I should. Not bad for a 14 year old kid with an out of the box factory rifle with no tuning. He hit a milk jug at 400 yards with the first shot.
Thinking it may not be worthwhile to reload for this, I have the brass, bullets and powder and am looking for some dies.
I'm interested in what is working for you. This will likely be used for local Pacific Blacktail deer which aren't overly large.
dac12cc280d2009e33908310e5bf4b60.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Don't know that I'd waste a lot of time working up a load if the factory ammunition is shooting groups like that for the young man. That is sufficient for about any blacktail. In my limited workup with my own Creedmoor (a Ruger Hawkeye), I'm getting sub-MOA groups with 130 grain Swift Sciroccos charged with either RL17 or VN560.

DrMike":2tdfrndb said:
Don't know that I'd waste a lot of time working up a load if the factory ammunition is shooting groups like that for the young man. That is sufficient for about any blacktail. In my limited workup with my own Creedmoor (a Ruger Hawkeye), I'm getting sub-MOA groups with 130 grain Swift Sciroccos charged with either RL17 or VN560.

+1 :) You should send the ammo manufacturer a bill for the advertising. :) CL

140 Hybrids and H4831SC works well out of my buddy's custom creed, can't remember what the charge is but it shoots sub-half MOA groups all day long. I know he jumps them 0.015", uses Norma brass and Fed 210M primers, I'll check on charge. He only runs his at 2,720fps but it shoots so dang good there's no point to change it.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 773
++1 and I'll even throw i. A Ditto on the berger hybrids, amazing bullet, and for hunting the elite hunter I think is suppose to be the hunting version of the hybrid. Shoot's great out of the wife's .243

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

The great thing about the 6.5 Creedmoor is the abundance of very good factory ammo. I handload and H4350 behind a 140 Sierra Gameking, and RL17 behind a 140 grain Speer hot-cor are two of my favorite loads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven't gotten to handloads for mine yet, as I was trying the factory loads first to see if the rifle was going to show a preference for a certain bullet or weight. The 3 Hornady loads; 120 gr, 129 gr and 143 gr all shot 1/2 to 3/4" groups at 100 yards, and one round of each produced a 3" group at 400 yards (shooting the gongs at 200, 300 and 400 yards after shooting for groups at 100 and seeing how the B&C reticle was going to work with each load at the extended yardages).

While not a great test, the 143 ELDX did just fine on a young bull moose at 20 yards.

RL338":3gndb1r4 said:
Tagging in , have a Howa heavy barrel coming

Welcome aboard. Always good to see new faces sharing their experience. When you receive your rifle, give us a picture. Everyone here appreciates seeing what others are using. I do need to pull out my Creedmoor and do some work with it this spring.

Very nice! Man, you can't beat that.

My cousin picked up a Savage 6.5 CM and it shot the factory American Whitetail stuff the same as yours did. He is loading 120 BT with IMR4350 and doing about the same. Doesn't seem to be much you can throw at it that it hates.

300winmag, that's pretty danged cool it runs so well with H4831SC.. Doesn't ever seem to be a shortage of that stuff around and it is about as good as it gets for a stable powder.

Alderman

This is the load I am using. Nothing special just copied it off the box of factory 140 Amax's.

20130504_171125_zps37afbeae.jpg

JohnB

Wow. Now I've got to find some Accubonds. Will it never end?
The Creedmoor in a Savage looks like a winner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Factory ammo just isn't consistent enough for me. I use Redding Type S neck bushing sizer, RCBS competition seater, and a RCBS full length when necessary.

Back