6.5 Creedmoor

Wincheringen

Handloader
Jan 10, 2012
I recently started loading for this cartridge and I've yet to find a heavy bullet that shoots well. I have the 100 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip shooting .251" but all the heavy bullets are 1-1.5".

Right now I'm just working with Ramshot Big Game, but I picked up some Ramshot Hunter. I prefer ball powders and Hunter duplicates IMR 4350 which is what Hornady designed the cartridge around. Big Game is a little faster, about IMR 4064 speed.

I haven't tried the 120 grain Ballistic Tip yet, it does shoot quite well in my 6.5x55 (.548") though.

I'd like to use the 140 grain CC, unfortunately I have to order everything since my local shops don't seem to realize there is a 6.5 caliber. I've only been able to test out the 140 grain Sierra GK SBT in the heavy end. I have some 160 grain Sierras but no data to go from. I think I'd have to push those pretty hard with the 1-8" twist.

Wincheringen

Welcome to the forum and also to the 6.5mm club.

The 6.5mm Creedmoor is an intriguing round. Give the 120 gr BT a try and also look at the 130 gr AB.
Both shoot great in my 6.5mm Rem Mag and to the same POI at 100 yds.

JD338

Wincheringen,

Welcome to the forum. I haven't shot my Creedmoor, yet. I'm still waiting on rings for the scope I want to put on it. I'll likely be focusing on bullet weights ranging from 120 grains to 140 grains. Have you considered W760 (H414), H100V or even Superformance powders for your Creedmoor?

H100V is interesting, Hodgdon is showing some speedy loads with it, I don't know if its a ball or rod powder though.

Its purely a target gun, so the 130 ABs would be wasted. The ABs are very good on game in my .25/06 though.

Dr. Mike, I had a similar issue with dies, but now I have the only competition die set RCBS has made to date for the 6.5C.

I really need to get my hands on some 140 grain Custom Competitions, I think this rifle will really perform out to 800 yards with them.

Isn't it H4350 that Hornady recommends and uses for the 6.5 Creedmoor?

A buddy of mine shoots that cartridge in one of his match rifles. Very accurate, and I've considered re-barreling the Green Machine .308 to 6.5 Creedmoor. He's having some brass life issues, but I'm not sure how hard he's leaning on the cartridge while loading it.

Welcome to the forum!

Yes, H4350 is what is loaded by Hornady, and case issues are in my experience directly related to this powder. Hence why I am using ball powders. Pressure is lower and Ramshot powders have a lower flame temperature.

Any powder in the 4350 speed range should be good with this cartridge design. The only other person I know loading for it is using H4350 but hasn't noted any case life issues. The case life issue reported is primer leakage. I'll certainly be keeping an eye out for any leakage, but I think results will be better with the Ramshot.

You won't regret the 6.5 Creedmoor! I think its got a lot of potential, so does David Tubb.

I have a 260 which you are probably aware of is very similar to the 6.5 Creedmore. Have had real good success with H 4831 SC and H 4350 with bullets weighing 120-160 gr, H 4831 SC would be good to try if Hunter doesn't work out for you since H 4350 isn't working for you. Have heard a lot of good things about Hunter it may work out well for you. Your 1 in 8 twist should be plenty to stabilize the 160's have gotten great groups in the past with the Hornady and Sierra bullets of that weight in my present 260 and a Ruger 6.5x55 I used to have.

I do have some 160s, but no real data to work with. I'm not sure I want to go that heavy. I believe they are Sierra SMPs so not very good BC bullets anyway.

Too bad winter decided to show up here for a few days so I can't go play. I will probably put together some loads with Hunter tonight. I spent a few hours hand lapping the bore today.

I do have some H4831SC around I could give a try if this doesn't work. I've heard some guys are happy with RL17 too. I know there is some locally if I get the itch to try it. Ramshot's data for Hunter powder puts it ahead of H4350 and H100V.

In my 6.5x47 Lapua, a mini 6.5CM 8) , I did some prelim testing with Hunter and the 140 Berger VLD by shooting a ladder @ 576 yds.

IMG_20110618_101919.jpg

These were .5 gr increments and as you can see it was a steady climb until the last 3 impacts that a tiny 1-1/2" vertical for the 3 shots. The 10th shot was actually 2908 fps. I mis-marked it. Their was an 11th shot but it went over the target and had a bit of difficult bolt lift; 2936 fps.

I never did pursue Hunter until this past weekend and the jury is still out. I stuck with my Rel 17 as am getting 2950 fps and 1/2 MOA 5-shot groups.

So, what I am saying is you might want to further explore both Hunter and Rel 17 in your 6.5CM.

Alan

I forgot about this thread. I recently got some 140 grain Custom Comps and a pound of Hunter. All I can say is I'm very happy with the combination. I put down 4 3/8MOA groups yesterday, and shot after shot rang the 10" gong at 400 yards.

The way my range is setup doesn't work well with a chronograph this time of year. I have to wait another month or so and the sun won't mess with it too much.

There's a real nice looking Ruger 77 Hawkeye in 6.5 Creedmoor at a local gunshop, High Mountain Hunting. Good straight-grained walnut, nice looking rifle. $699 is the tag, lightly used.

I was tempted, but it's really way too similar in capabilities to my .25-06 Rem 700 CDL.

Guy

I think it compliments the .25/06 nicely. I have several .25/06s, which would shoot right along side the 6.5C out to 300 yards or so, but .257" bullets just don't have the BC to keep up, and there are very few true target bullets out there.

Mine is setup strictly for target work, I have plenty of rifles to hunt with. $700 for a used gun is more than they are new here!

I had some good results today with the 140 Custom Comp. It shot right along 1/2MOA at 100y,200y,& 300y. I'm still intrigued by the trajectory, everything I've looked at says it should be right on at 300 yards, but its 5.5" low. I'm not sure if I'm reading the charts right or if they even matter. Generally I don't see any correlation between the two with any of my guns. The wind was good earlier in the day as it was pretty centered, but as the wind picked up from the west it pushed the bullets over 6". No big deal I suppose, nice to see what kind of wind I can shoot in though. I didn't take the chronograph this time but I will eventually.

0308121446.jpg

Great shooting! Those little 6.5's seem really awesome to me.. Kinda gives me a small itch for one of them. Just a touch of powder behind them high BC'ed 140's really puts alot of performance in a small package..

Yea, they are a little addictive. I've always been a 25 cal fan but the 6.5 is just as sweet. I also have a 6.5x55 that shoots the 120 NBT into tiny little groups. I've only played with that one out to 100 yards but its totally capable of 300 yards as well.

Thanks, now I'm gonna get working on some serious yardage and the adjustments for the scope. 800 yards should be doable.

Has anyone tried H414? I have tried H4350, IMR 4350 etc. All shot well but the H414 surprised me. Here is what I shot today (5 shot group) in a quartering 5-10 mph wind off a bipod. Chrono'd at 2820.

Attachments

• 2012-04-13_17-09-44_183.jpg
    2012-04-13_17-09-44_183.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 7,137
Back