6.5 x 55 SE reloading question

shadow

Beginner
Oct 9, 2005
Thanks in advance for the help on this one.

I have just bought a left hand Tikka T3 in 6.5x55. When looking through the Nosler manual, it seems the 125 grain partitions will have a higher velocity, less drop and more ft.lbs at any given distance over the 140 grain partitions. All I have read on this round though is that the 140 grain load is the"all around" best weight for this caliber. Any real world advice on this round would be appreciated so I can do some reloading and testing. I will be using it for whitetail deer which can be fairly big where I live (Alberta) and cow elk, but also like to shoot at the range where accuracy is important to me and velocity is secondary.

Regards

Mark

I have never used the 125gr Partition on game but the 129gr Hornady works just fine on Whitetail, and the Nosler should do as well or better. I would have no problem useing the 125 gr on deer, or elk for that matter within ~200/250 yd from a 6.5 Swede. The new 130 gr AccuBond should be an even better choice. If I was after elk or larger game only though I`d stay with the 140 gr Partition.
I have found the 120 gr BT to be a very accurate bullet in this cartridge and have heard of good results on deer from people that have used it. I like a bit more wgt though for my hunting and try to rely more on bullet wgt then velocity for game.

Mark,
I'll second what Ol' Joe said, as I believe either the 125 Nosler PT or 129 Hornady will do a good job for both WT Deer and Elk.
I think the 140 grs. is good for short range (within 200 yds.).

Even though I do not own a 6,5 SWE, I have experience with the EU 6,5x57(R) Mauser (which IMO does not differ that much) and I can tell you I have tried the following Bullets:
100 grs. NOSLER BT
108 grs. RWS KS
120 grs. NOSLER BT
129 grs. HORNADY INTERLOCK

I have taken quite a thourough test on the above bullets and, after that, the conclusion were that all four performed well enough for hunting purposes, even though the BEST ACCURACY was "surprisingly" achieved by the 100 grs. NOSLER BT (8 rounds in 1,38" @ 200 yds. using a 6x scope) with an outstanding +2,36" in trajectory over the 108 grs. RWS (2nd place - just slightly larger group but still good) with the same load.

It is interesting to notice that the most accurate bullet in the field (the 100 BT) had the least chances to win according to "the papers", especially considering that my gun has a very long throat and short twist (1:8") designed to perform well with medium to heavy bullets (up to 160 grs.).

MISTERY OF BALLISTICS :wink:

Hope this helps in some ways.

Good luck and let us know! :lol:

Second and Third the above.
I'd go after the 130gr A.B. and make those shoot.
We've shot several cow elk with a model 7 youth rifle in .260 and 120gr B-tips out to short 300yrd range.

Back