6.5x47 shoots!

1000yardline

Beginner
Sep 13, 2014
Snuck out today to play with the 6.5, it shot great at 600, but I hadn't tried it at 100. Tried it today and it shoots at 100 too. Darn range monkey got me on the fifth shot though :x oh well, I'm happy.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1,240
I'm running the following:

Berger 140 Hybrid
40.0grs H4350
CCI BR4 primer
Lapua brass
0.015" off of the rifling

Clocked it at 2,814fps today, es of 13.

It definitely looks to be a shooter. I'd say the rifleman isn't doing too badly, either. Good stuff.

Congrats on some nice shooting! Seems the rifle & loads are top notch!

That cartridge has become quite popular around here with the local F-Class competitors & shooters in the "practical/tactical" matches as well.

Guy

Great shooting on both targets.
Seems like no one can hit that darn dime though. :grin:

It's a Rem 700 action, McMillan MBR stock, 27" 1-8.5" heavy varmint Krueger, Jewell trigger set at about 2 ounces, just have a Nikon 6.5-20x44mm target scope on it now until funds are available, built by stick and his crew at S&S precision. Bought it used for $1200, I'm pretty happy with it, it's a blast to shoot, no recoil, excited for F-class to start back up.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 1,149
Sweet! I don't know anything about the 6.5-47? What is its parentage? .222 necked up to 6.5?

Palouser":3cnd5xij said:
Sweet! I don't know anything about the 6.5-47? What is its parentage? .222 necked up to 6.5?

Here is some info on the cartridge:
http://www.accurateshooter.com/cartridge-guides/65x47/

Most shooters have found the 120-130 grain bullets work best in this small 6.5 cartridge. The heavy for caliber bullets, (139 +) are usually not able to be driven fast enough to make up for the difference in velocity that the lighter bullets with good BC give. The one I had built a few years ago really liked the 123 Scenars and VV540. Another member here used to have one (now shoots the 6X47 version) who used H4350 behind Berger 130 VLD's.

Although the cartridge was developed for competition, it does make a nice, light recoiling rifle for small and medium sized game.Two guys I shoot F-class with use this caliber for mid-range distances and do fairly well. The caliber doesn't do as well at the LR distances when compared to the improved 6BR's, 6.5X284 or some of the 7mm calibers being used in the open class. Both guys have had to re-barrel their rifles at slightly over 2000 rounds.

BTW - nice shooting to the OP!

257 Ackley":3lh3z2ii said:
Palouser":3lh3z2ii said:

Here is some info on the cartridge:
http://www.accurateshooter.com/cartridge-guides/65x47/

Most shooters have found the 120-130 grain bullets work best in this small 6.5 cartridge. The heavy for caliber bullets, (139 +) are usually not able to be driven fast enough to make up for the difference in velocity that the lighter bullets with good BC give. The one I had built a few years ago really liked the 123 Scenars and VV540. Another member here used to have one (now shoots the 6X47 version) who used H4350 behind Berger 130 VLD's.

Although the cartridge was developed for competition, it does make a nice, light recoiling rifle for small and medium sized game.Two guys I shoot F-class with use this caliber for mid-range distances and do fairly well. The caliber doesn't do as well at the LR distances when compared to the improved 6BR's, 6.5X284 or some of the 7mm calibers being used in the open class. Both guys have had to re-barrel their rifles at slightly over 2000 rounds.

BTW - nice shooting to the OP!

Thanks for the info!

Great info 257! I don't think the 6.547 Has a parent per say.

Anyways, I think it is an underestimated performer with heavy bullets. I'm getting 2,814, under standard atmospheric conditions, I'm still getting 10 inches less inches wind drift (10MPH wind) than a 6X47 with a 105 Hybrid at 3,000FPS (trying to keep it apples to apples). Really, what F-cClass comes down to is wind drift. Guys who read the wind, win. Drop is easy, judging the wind to a MPH is the hard part.

I'm not trying to discredit 257, he provided accurate information, the 6.5X47 can't compete with the 6.5X284, but I think the media discredited it when it came to heavy bullets. It can and will shoot them well. . . I'm a believer in heavy bullets, we'll see how it does against the 6.5X284's 6BR's, and 7SAUMs this season.

For me personally, it's a great compromise between barrel life and performance. Yeah a 6.5X284 is great if you can afford a new barrel every 800 rounds. The 6.5X47 beats the 6mm BR in wind nd has barrel life of about 2,000 rounds, so two seasons of F-Class.

I love this cartridge. Just curious, what would be your pick of an ideal F-class cartridge? 'm really looking at a strait .284 Winchester for a rebarrel!

Don't get me wrong, I really like the 6.5X47 cartridge. For mid-range, it can compete very well with the 6BR and improved versions. The problem I have seen happens once you pass the 800 yard range with many of the calibers that work well at 600.

We had the state LR match won by a guy shooting a 6 Dasher this past year with 105 hybrids. Second place was a 7WSM and third was a 284 Shehane. Most of the guys that shoot the 6.5X47 and 6BR's, go to a 7mm or 30 cal of some type when we go to 1000 in open class. A lot of guys who were shooting the 6.5X284 got tired of replacing barrels half way through the season are doing switch barrel rifles or building separate rigs for MR and LR. I only shoot 2 LR matches a year, so I can't justify building a dedicated rig for LR. I'm perfectly happy keeping my expert classification at LR and focusing on getting better at MR where I have to compete against 23 other high masters at our club.

You had good vertical on your 600 yard target, so the load you have worked up is good at that range. That would have pretty much been all X's on the MR target (.5 MOA).

If I was building a dedicated LR f-open rifle, it would be either a straight .284 or the 284 Shehane. Doing a two day match with 66 rounds being fired each day from some of those bigger calibers will take its toll on you, even with a 22 lb rifle.

Good luck with the rifle and upcoming season.

257 Ackley":1yiwkhcx said:
Don't get me wrong, I really like the 6.5X47 cartridge. For mid-range, it can compete very well with the 6BR and improved versions. The problem I have seen happens once you pass the 800 yard range with many of the calibers that work well at 600.

We had the state LR match won by a guy shooting a 6 Dasher this past year with 105 hybrids. Second place was a 7WSM and third was a 284 Shehane. Most of the guys that shoot the 6.5X47 and 6BR's, go to a 7mm or 30 cal of some type when we go to 1000 in open class. A lot of guys who were shooting the 6.5X284 got tired of replacing barrels half way through the season are doing switch barrel rifles or building separate rigs for MR and LR. I only shoot 2 LR matches a year, so I can't justify building a dedicated rig for LR. I'm perfectly happy keeping my expert classification at LR and focusing on getting better at MR where I have to compete against 23 other high masters at our club.

You had good vertical on your 600 yard target, so the load you have worked up is good at that range. That would have pretty much been all X's on the MR target (.5 MOA).

If I was building a dedicated LR f-open rifle, it would be either a straight .284 or the 284 Shehane. Doing a two day match with 66 rounds being fired each day from some of those bigger calibers will take its toll on you, even with a 22 lb rifle.

Good luck with the rifle and upcoming season.

Interesting, I've not tried it at 1,000 yet so I don't know. My buddy shoots a 6BR at 1,000, he's done pretty well with it. We do have one guy that shoots a 7WSM with 180 Hybrids and he always cleans house, but, he is also on the US F-Class team. I'll probably shoot this until the barrel goes, but I've been thinking really hard about a strait .284 or a 6X47 Lapua on the rebarrel. I've got some time to think on that though. Thanks for the insight 257! Really appreciate the info!

Back