64 grain solid base

mrandrew

Beginner
Nov 15, 2011
On various boards I have noticed that some people have been shooting deer with the 63 grain sierra varmiter bullets. This year I tried to use this bullet and while I didn't lose any deer using this bullet when fired from my .222 remington I think that I realized that this bullet is too frangible for use on big deer when the angles are slightly wrong.

The first deer that I fired at was facing me at about 80 yards. I originally aimed for the center of the chest hoping that the bullet would at least make it to the lungs. The deer did fall down at the shot but while processing the deer I realized that the bullet never went passed the breast bones. It shattered the front rib bones and then glanced off and went into the shoulder bones. The only thing that killed the deer was the bone fragments that got shot into the lungs and the fact that the bullet did damage to the neck on impact.

The second deer that I shot was hit broadside in the ribs. While the entrance wound was about 1.25 inches in diameter the bullet went to pieces on the far shoulder of the deer. I am seriously doubting that this bullet would hold together if it hit the shoulder bone of a fully grown deer at the "wrong angle". I realize that this bullet says that it is designed for varmits so I think that I might be asking too much of even though people say that it works well on deer. In short I don't think that

I am thinking of giving this 64 grain solid base bonded bullet a go. Can anyone recommend a place to get some? Here is hoping that they are cheaper than the pesky tsx bullets that noone in my area stocks. I'm planning on giving these a rip out of my 24 inch 1-14 twisted .222 remington. I have a variety of powders and primers. 748,2015BR, 2520, 3031,blc2,rl15,h335,h322, and I have a gunshop down the road if there is a powder that I need to try.

Am also thining of trying to the 45 grain tsx bullet. Theoretically how do the velocities for the two compare.

The .224 64 gr Bonded Solid Base is a very robust bullet and it will stabilize in a 1:14 twist.
I tested this bullet out of my 22-250 with a MV of 3372 fps and penetration was impressive.
Although I like bigger calibers with heavier bullet weights for deer, you should not have an issue reaching the vitals with the 64 gr BSB.

JD338

Good is there a place that I can order some of these tips? I think that I can get them going at least 2900. What is the minimum speed that I need for them to open up?

mrandrew":2thrgsjd said:
What is the minimum speed that I need for them to open up?

Anticipate a minimum impact velocity of 1800 fps to ensure opening for almost all bullets. Though the bullet will reach the vitals, especially on a broadside shot, you will get more consistently kills with a larger calibre and more mass. You are running a fair risk of wounding game with the 222.

I know one old guy who kills several deer a year with an old savage 340 in 222 remington. He shoots them all with remington green box 50gr SP bullets behind the shoulder in the ribs and rarely gets an exit. I can't remember a single one he has lost with this setup.

He picks his shots and doesn't care if he lets them walk. If you want to go shooting thru them at odd angles your probably better off running a larger heavier bullet but I would put my money on the TSX for outpenetration most anything else.

hmmm...my old man used to shoot deer with that 50 grain bullet with the same effect. When I hunt i sometimes have brush covering vitals so I want enough bullet to punch through shoulders without breaking out shelling out 50 cents a piece for a tsx....

And judging by what I saw out of the 63 grain bullets that weight might not be a bad thing. Another decent thing would be a bonded 55 grainer or a 47 grain e tip.

Previous to the 64gr SB release, your best bet to take deer with a .22 centerfire was the 60gr Partition and the Barnes TSX and TTSX pills.

I saw a mature bull moose crumple when that same 50gr bullet from a 222Rem pierced his lungs broadside. Sounded like an air tank release. I would never use them on a deer personally.

I want to try the 50gr TSX out of my 22-250 on yotes this year to see if they're more fur-friendly.

CatskillCrawler":6w7hu7j4 said:
Previous to the 64gr SB release, your best bet to take deer with a .22 centerfire was the 60gr Partition and the Barnes TSX and TTSX pills.

I saw a mature bull moose crumple when that same 50gr bullet from a 222Rem pierced his lungs broadside. Sounded like an air tank release. I would never use them on a deer personally.

I want to try the 50gr TSX out of my 22-250 on yotes this year to see if they're more fur-friendly.

The 64 gr BSB works well on coyotes.
IMG_07951.jpg

JD338

I'm thinking the same but I've had problems getting accuracy out of my 1:14 twist Encore barrel using the 60gr NPs. I'm not sure how the BSBs compare with the NPs length-wise.

I have a bunch of loads worked up and ready for the range using the 50gr TSXs and 60gr NPs with different powder than my previous attempts. As soon as I take my M/L barrel off and convert it to 22-250 I'm going to air them out.

CatskillCrawler

No worries with the 64 gr BSB in a 1:14 twist, the bullet overall length is shorter than the 50 gr BT and it stabilizes just fine. My M700 VLS has a 1:14" twist and accuracy is well under MOA.
FWIW, I couldn't get the 60 gr PT to shoot either.

JD338

the 64gr PP bonded I have measure .790" just a touch shorter than a 64gr winchester power point at .805". I still have 50 of the bonded 64gr. I have not decided on how to load them. 223 at 2850fps out of the mini14 or 3350fps out of the 22-250.

baltz526":2xkfbr9s said:
the 64gr PP bonded I have measure .790" just a touch shorter than a 64gr winchester power point at .805". I still have 50 of the bonded 64gr. I have not decided on how to load them. 223 at 2850fps out of the mini14 or 3350fps out of the 22-250.

Load them both. :mrgreen:

JD338

Back