6BR

wvbuckbuster

Handloader
Nov 5, 2015
Friend brought me his 6BR to play with. He said he hasn't shot it in 20 yrs. The twist is 1-14 ins. Couple of questions. 1st. Will this twist stabilize a Nosler 95gr BT? 2nd. The powders I have on hand are Varget, Benchmark, CFE223, Tac, BLC2, H4895 and H335 that I think could be used in the cartage, which would you use? Also what bullet weight would you buy if going to buy one to try? Thanks, Dan.

Dan,

Not sure what the 14-twist will stabilize. I have a 6 BR with an 8-twist. I shoot 95-grain Sierra Matchkings. The box of 95-grain Matchkings says they need a 9-twist or faster.

The good: it’s a darn great round for range training. I shoot the Matchkings on top of CCI450 primers and 30 grains of Varget. Lapua cases.

As for bad, I think the round has feeding problems if you try to cycle it through a magazine. Mine is a single shot so no issues.

You might also have neck thickness issues and might have to neck turn the brass.

But when you want to shoot 600 or so yards the 6 BR is on a short list of cartridges that are tough to beat!

v/r
Joel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some looking, the 70-grain Matchkings and 32 grains Varget might work. Some ran into problems with 75-grain A-Maxes.

Thinking 55-70 gr bullets in this twist. Another thing is this gun is 20 yrs old and I read there is slight difference in the original 6br Remington and the standard version Lapua has made it. Will it be a problem with brass and such? Dan.

You are right there are 2 SAAMI-standard 6 BR cases. One is the 6 BR Remington and the other is the 6 BR Norma.

I would talk to your friend and inquire about the neck thickness. He probably remembers something that will be helpful.

You shouldn’t have a ‘problem’ with brass. Lapua and Norma both make very high quality 6 BR brass. It’s just you might have to neck turn it, or not, depending on the neck area of the rifle.

And the brass between the 6 BR Remington and the 6 BR Norma is the same.

The 6 BR Remington has a slower twist and a shorter throat than the 6 BR Norma. Norma re-standardized the 6 BR so you could seat long bullets long into the throat.

Thanks for all the info. Checked the gun today with couple of no go gauges and measured the overall cartridge length. Got some shells loaded with Varget and Sierra 70 gr match bullets. It was what I could find close. Dan.

Based on my experience with the 7MMBR in the XP100, Go with the lightest ballistic tip designed for deer sized game. I use the 120. It also puts the 120 X into the same sub inch group at 100YDS. H335. Those weapons are shooters !!!!!

33.5 grs of Varget 70 gr Sierra BTHP Match Fed 205 GM primer loaded 20 thousands off lands results in one hole groups at 100 yds. Dan.

Go to:

6mmbr.com

The main page has a button to link to the 6mmbr. A shooters forum search will give you more info than you can digest.

The 6BR is such a neat little round. For the close to mid range shots here in IN I think it or the 6x47 Lapua (6.5x47L necked down) would be SWEET. As of late some have been going to a .257 version too.

I have no hard data, but the 1-12 would be a bit slower than Id want for a 6BR if shooting boat tail bullets. However, I also wager all you'd loose is a litte BC down range and very little accuracy wise BUT each barrel is a universe all of it's own so probably some would do ok, some might not. One way to find out though since you have on in hand.

This isnt the first time I've read about some having feed issues with the 6BR so should I take the leap I might go with the 47mm length but to be honest? I've shot 90 percent of my deer with weapons that were single shot (black powder, bows, single shot handguns etc) so...eh, a hand fed rifle wouldnt be a deal breaker for me, if one popped up I liked.

I bet that's a blast to shoot!
God Bless
Steve

The low capacity / bore rounds loose so little velocity per inch of barrel that I always thought any of them in a 20 inch barrel and light weight stock would be just flat awesome for shots to 250, even 300 yards.

When younger, I was "wowed" by the super high velocity, wham-bang rounds. As Ive aged the super efficient, super accurate "bench rest" rounds have my full attention

Back