7 MM Rem Mag not taking down a Buffalo

G

I was recently involved in butchering several buffalo and tried using my brother's 7mm Rem Mag with soft point bullets. Unfortunately, two head shots to one of these beasts isn't enough. Anyone recommend any bullet which should keep one down? It has to be a head shot to save every piece of meat possible. Does anyone make a full metal jacket in 7mm?

chipdog4, buy some 160 grain nosler Partition GOLD''S they will retain 80% of there weight, start loading em on the mild side and come up slowly this bullet is made different inside nosler cautions about this in their data manuals, they the NOSLER Partition GOLDS are super accurate, it is asking a lot of any bullet doing what your doing but i know they will work Hands Down!!!!!!!. they fly great and i''m not talking 100 yards ifin ya get my drift? save that meat its frickin super thats one GIANT 10-4...regards jjmp...ps i''d bee more than happy to help you out anytime!!!!!! :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

That head shot is tricky. The powder puff is deceiving.

I missed and shot one a bit too high and he got real cranky on me.

I guess I should have been more specific. These are young buffalo being raised just for meat, so we shot them in their pen not but 8 yards away from us. We shoot at their foreheads or in between their eyes. We just recently picked up a 45-70 to do the job, but I want to experiment a little, also.

I'll definitely try and get my hands on those Partition Golds for the 7mm. I was wanting to find some bullets from which I could load in a 30-30, but I don't think I could get enough powder behind that.

These buffalo didn't get too upset. Four went down all right but the fifth was hiding behind the others and was being tricky.

Thanks for your input guys.
Andy

Sorry, I didn't even realize I had posted this in the wrong forum.

I was just looking at the CT Fail Safes. Those things look wicked mean enough to might do the job.

Thanks again.

Failsafe is your best option. Those standard soft point bullets ment for deer probably just penetrated thee hide and traveled around the skull to the back of the head.

Your only chance with a soft point MIGHT be through the ear hole and into the brain.

I have another idea, is there any way you can arrange to shoot from directly to the rear and just above the buff? come down into the base of the skull where it meets the spine and the 45-70 would do great the 7 would probably need a Partition, failsafe or x bullet to keep from turning inside out because of the high speed impact into bone.

A guy That I met last summer showed me a HUGE buffalo that he shot. He was instructed by the guide to shoot the buffalo just behind the ear if I remember correctly. It was definately a side head shot though.

He used a 180gr Partition from the 300 Ultra and the buff dropped to the shot. Maybe you should reconsider the impact point??????

Shooting Bison behind the ear is correct they go down like they've been hit with with a sledge hammer.I tried to get a round in between the ribs in the intercostals ,no way bullets hit armor plate ribs are too thick.Finally got a 180 sierra game king out of my sako 300wm under the ribs and it dropped, best shot I had was a Texas Bullseye but the outfitter told me not to go there.

Back