7 PRC - Reloading Issues? Clicking?

zacii

Beginner
Mar 5, 2015
Good afternoon gents.

I've convinced myself to get a 7 PRC. But...

Reading on other forums it seems that there are some inconsistencies in the chamber dimensions of some rifles which can lead to case bulging above the head and causing and issue with sticking cases. Some are calling it 'click' or 'clicking'.

Anyone have any insight on this?

There are some dies out there that go down further toward the head of the case or have tighter tolerances, that work for the 6.5 PRC, 7PRC and 300 PRC cartridges.
Also there are some reamer prints (Alex Wheeler for one) that makes there be more taper toward the bottom of the case.

I really don't want to deal with any reamers or anything.

Leaning toward a Bergara rifle, intended on getting Hornady dies.

This is the very reason I've stayed clear of every PRC cartridge. Unless you chamber a barrel in an Alex Wheeler reamer your going to have problems.

Makes the 7mm Remington magnum look pretty good.

This is the very reason I've stayed clear of every PRC cartridge. Unless you chamber a barrel in an Alex Wheeler reamer your going to have problems.

Makes the 7mm Remington magnum look pretty good.
Thought they would have come up with a solution already. I agree though the 7mm RM is still great. Another reason I'm glad to have picked the 6.8 Western over the 7 PRC.

I own the 6.5 and 300 PRC in Bergara rifles (love them both). I use Lapua brass and LEE custom collet dies made from fire formed brass out of each rifle. Had several hundred rounds fired thru each rifle with zero issues (excellent accuracy and case life). I am currerntly on my 4th and 5th firing of the brass with no bulging issues. I do anneal the case necks and use Redding body size die after the 2nd firing. The potential chamber/building brass issue can happen on any gun/caliber that is mass produced (even on customs). I own 270 win and 7RM that have had brass building issues, too (great calibers) I do like the case/chamber design on the PRC's, but like any other caliber, they are not exempt from real life issues.

I will be having a center-grip 7mm PRC XP-100 built in the future. Already have a Borden Alpine clone XP-100 action, McMillan Stock, trigger linkage, 20 MOA pic rail, and two 8T barrels: one Sendero taper, and the other one is a #3 taper (It will be a switch barrel set-up). I do not have my Holland Radial Baffle Brakes yet. I don't have the dies yet, but will be ordering from Eric.
Michael DeLoach/Nine Run Gun is doing the build. I will ship him all the parts, once he is finished with my 25-284 center-grip XP-100 (late this year hopefully)
Eric does not make the 7PRC die yet, but he will soon. Watch the video

I was reading a lot on this problem . from what I understand the problem is the chamber is a little too tight at the base of the brass case , about .200" up from the headstamp . the resizing die can't size the brass down enough due to the solid case head . the die sizes the brass to the diameter of the solid case head , but when the brass springs back it's too big to easily chamber . Alex Wheeler reamer fixes this problem . his reamer enlarges the chamber at the .200" . by doing this the brass expands to the chamber dimension , the die resizes to the fired brass case to the case head dimension , the brass springs back and the chamber has the clearance to be able to chamber this resized brass easily . there were guys on long range hunting forum , and long range only forum renting their reamers to guys . the guys were just turning the reamer by hand . it's only cutting a very little bit , something like .001 - .0015 " at the base of the case . it seemed like an easy enough fix . I wouldn't be afraid of doing this reamer modification myself . if I wanted a PRC I'd do the modification right away and enjoy my new rifle .

Back