Thoughts on the PRC cartridges.

I pulled the ultimate rookie mistake, I got one of the Christensen Arms Ridgelines in 300 RUM.. The rifle itself is pretty danged sound and shot pretty decent, but after loading for it for awhile, I was irritated with the magazine box being limited to 3.675" for COAL ammo. It really cuts the big 300 off at the knees. So on a whim I got a Wyatt's box and was able to load my ammo out to 3.775.... MUCH BETTER!.

Instantly it went from being a picky rifle to shooting everything really darned well. So, being as I hated the feeding I sent the rifle off to PT&G, had them inlet for the AICS magazines which will let me get out to 3.750 and change and the single stack magazines help that giant case feed like they should.

So, I say all that to say the 300 PRC would have been the answer from the get go. They just dropped them last month! I had thoughts of sending the ultra down the road, but since I have gone through the work, it's doing real well. The 300 PRC is Weatherby in capacity, throated for long 220+ish bullets, 1-8 twist is standard for it, and it "fits" in magazines with some leeway in regards to seating.

All looney stuff, but in my mind it does EXACTLY what the 6.5 CM does in short actions, it fits without a whole lot of mental gymnastics and is set up well from the get go.

The 6.5 PRC probably isn't in the cards today for me, having a 264 Win on one side and the Swede and a Creed on the other, but I can see alot of appeal to them. Lets face it, when you can spend 30 bucks a box to get ultra accurate ammo that will hunt or pound steel it's going to be a winner.

Just my thoughts.

Scotty, I had a short throat issue with my Ridgeline regarding the .300WM. I went to my local gunsmith and the throat was reamed out to where I can use a 3.640 OAL and have the round still fit comfortably in the magazine. I have no complaints on Accuracy and the Rifle is very well made.

diverdown":348qpqbu said:
Scotty, I had a short throat issue with my Ridgeline regarding the .300WM. I went to my local gunsmith and the throat was reamed out to where I can use a 3.640 OAL and have the round still fit comfortably in the magazine. I have no complaints on Accuracy and the Rifle is very well made.

My problem wasn't a short throat but a short magazine with the RUM. With the sleek bullets like the 210 Nosler, 200 LRX, 225 ELD's, I was miles away from the rifling and had zero room to move the bullet in regards to seating.

Now, with your 300 Win, that sounds like a wicked set up and probably what I should have done..

I DRANK THE COOL-AID! lol

The new addition to the stable. Sauer 100 Atacama 6.5mm PRC

Handsome rifle, Fotis. Yup, looks as if you did drink the Kool-Aid. :mrgreen:

I outfitted it with a Vortex HS-T 4x16x44mm and loaded for 130 Accubonds and some 143 ELD-X. Now if the Wyoming weather will cooperate........

FOTIS":3oh667l6 said:
I outfitted it with a Vortex HS-T 4x16x44mm and loaded for 130 Accubonds and some 143 ELD-X. Now if the Wyoming weather will cooperate........

It will be neat to see what you end up coming up with. I bet it ends up being about 100 fps slower than the 264 WM in the end which isn't a bad place to be.

Looking forward to seeing what you think of it.

I am tempted to find a Tikka in 7 Rem, 300 Win, etc and putting a 6.5 barrel on it, on the cheap. Mags should feed the PRC like butter and I’d bet you could get into one pretty inexpensively since the Tikka would just need the barrel screwed on without a bunch of trueing maneuvers.

Dwh7271":azwgipbo said:
Look up the 7 Practical before you neck down the PRC. May be just what you’re looking for. I think Desert Fox on here recently built one so he would be better for actual experience.
The 260 is a terrific cartridge. I agree with the earlier poster that Remington, as usual, did a cruddy job marketing it. Buy some Alpha Brass and you’re good to go. Impressive brass. Twist is the same as the Creed so I must of missed something there.
Ackley the 260 and now you have something. No Creed is going to run with a 260 AI. I have 2 of em. :grin:
I’m a little of a 6.5 nut. I like fooling with them.
On the 6.5 PRC. Cool cartridge and I’ll agree, well designed. Will I probably build one up? Yeah. Although the GAP 4S will outrun it a hair if that’s what you want.
On the 300 PRC. It will probably do exactly what it was designed to do and do it well. Do I want one. Nope. 300 Norma or improved 300 Norma. Ok. Now I’m interested. I like weird cartridges. Or maybe improve the Norma and neck it to 284?
This one intrigues me and one will follow me home someday. Initial reviews have been good on accuracy. 6.5 PRC is one of the chamberings.
https://www.seekinsprecision.com/product/havak.html

I looked up the 7mm Practical. Looks like a nice round. Kinda like the 7.21 Sage. I’d need more information on magazine lengths to make sure I got the right parts and pieces to make it function properly but nice looking rounds for sure. A lot of interesting posts on this thread and a lot to digest. Thanks.

Range report:

Hornady brass
215 M
142 ELD-X
57.5 RL26
3085 FPS
.52" at 100 yds

I don't have much experience with either one. I don't own a .30 cal, and don't intend to. With that being said, the 30 PRC seems well thought out and would be one that I would spend a lot of time looking at if I were to pick up a 30 cal.

I do have a couple of 6.5 SAUM which are pretty close to the 6.5 PRC. One I built one for a packing rifle (8lbs) and one for an on the farm banging steel and short packing hunting rifle (11lbs) I really like them both. Between the two of them they have accounted 8 Mule Deer bucks. A few with the 140 VLD, 5 with the 143 ELDX, and 1 with the 147 ELDM. From an on game performance standpoint I've been pretty dang impressed. I have not shot an elk with one yet, but I wouldn't hesitate. I don't think any critter walking this earth would notice the 50 fps difference.

That's my $.02

FOTIS":hyv1n4rk said:
Range report:

Hornady brass
215 M
142 ELD-X
57.5 RL26
3085 FPS
.52" at 100 yds

BUQTsWl.jpg

Back