70gr RDF possible soft primer issues

Darryle

Beginner
Aug 19, 2020
Factory 223 70gr RDF

Shot these in a Tikka Superlite 223 and a Browning X-Bolt 223, had one rd from each rifle with a pierced primer. No sign of pressure in either rifle and neither primer appeared to be seated shallow.

Possibly a soft primer cup? It was just the 2rds out of 40 - 50rds. Also, I had this issue with the same lot of ammo in a AR, 3rds out of 20rds fired. I originally attributed it to an out of spec pin, replaced the pin, but I also never shot anymore of these out of that rifle. I only have about 30rds left, so I am just planning to shoot it from the X-Bolt and then reload the brass.

I do however have several thousand rounds of the 64gr BSB factory ammo, hoping that this issue doesn't crop up. Every other factory Nosler 223 round fired has never exhibited this behavior.

Thanks

IMG_4828.jpegIMG_4829.jpegIMG_4830.jpeg

Judging by the clean hole cut by the firing pin , I would lean towards soft/thin primer. With this happening in multiple rifles , I would let Nosler know about this.

I suspected a soft primer issue, since it happened so infrequently and across multiple rifles. I will send Nosler an email with the lot number of the last 2 boxes. The 64gr and a couple of boxes of the 55gr Varmegeddon haven't exhibited this behavior with any of the rifles.

All 3 firing pins are unaffected. I hope I never have to take down another X-Bolt bolt, that was an exercise of patience. There has to be a trick that I haven't learned since I bought my first one in 2008.

I honestly wasn't impressed with the accuracy of the RDF ammo, for what it is, I expected better. The Varmegeddon beat it in all 3 rifles and another rifle built strictly as a calling rifle.

Thanks guys

Back