750y range session with the 308 Win

bobnob

Handloader
Nov 3, 2012
You might have seen my other thread re my Omark / Sportco 308 rifle. I've been fiddling around with the rifle and the new Bushnell AR 4.5-18x40 scope and today took the combo out to 750y for the first time. Indeed this is the furthest I've ever shot save for a couple of attempts at fullbore target shooting when I was a teenager.

Wind was pretty mild, only about 7kph at about 45 degree angle so I wound on just one moa of windage and let two five-shot groups go from the prone with the bipod...

]
CADC3A6A-D628-46AB-89E3-5B4748D4FAD4_zpsmzvyun0g_edit_1428237159099_zps8wiwmi0e.jpg

As you can see I had wound on about two moa too much elevation. Save for that the groups were pretty good I thought. About 4 and 6 inches vertical spread, with the left group coming in about 8 inches and the right one with the flier that I pulled over a foot horizontally.

Load details are W-W brass, CCI primer, 168g Amax (these are branded Zmax but the same thing I believe) with 44.0g H4895. Muzzle velocity is 2750fps.

For those interested, I am very happy with this scope for what is a relatively cheap made-in-China item. The optics were such that on this dull overcast day I could very clearly discern the middle white diamond in the aiming point. Adjustments for come-ups seem very consistent out to 600y, however I'm a little unsure what caused my overadjustment today. I'll do more work to confirm these things. The scope certainly has held zero no probs over 150 rounds fired so far.

Anyway for what this outfit owes me which is only a few hundred dollars counting the scope I could not be more satisfied. The rifle was most likely built around the same time I was born and there's some satisfaction in that too.

Bob

]
3CD1AB49-362E-4771-9D5F-12AF333165EC_zpssnosyohh_edit_1428238211962_zpskbvxoazo.jpg

Other than the elevation, that is quite gratifying. Congratulations. You're in the groove.

Wow! Great shooting! That rifle and scope seem to be working really well.. That little 308 still gets the rounds out there!

Looks like your doing well. I have been using the A Max with Varget and they shoot very well. I haven't tried H4895 yet but maybe I'll give it a try. I also picked up the 3-12 version of your scope to put on an upper with a 18.5 inch heavy barrel. Got it on paper but haven't had time to test it yet. I liked how it looked so far. Good luck with your shooting

I have never shot at that range but getting essentially MOA at 750 yards sounds like an accomplishment to me. Congratulations on some good shooting.

Excellent! Congratulations.

I'm not surprised those Hornady bullets landed a little high compared to what you'd dialed, they have a very good shape to them for long range shooting, and a high BC. You've put together a pretty standard load for LR competition, including those Winchester cases. With just a little prep I found they produced excellent accuracy, and were tough enough for repeated loading/firing cycles.

Looks like you had the elevation & windage pretty close, and I love those tight groups at 750 yards!

Good work at both the loading bench and at the range! (y)

Guy

Thanks for the encouragement all!

This LR shooting is kind of addictive. Was going out again today but it has dawned rain so I might settle for football and some reloading.

Early days, but I'm wondering how far out I can reliably make hits with this rifle and calibre. I'll definitely have a crack at 1km with time but I think shooter, cartridge and scope might max out thereabouts. We will see.

A further note re this scope... I have gone back over all my data and notes and pulled my targets out, including one where I fired five groups, tracking up 4 moa between each group...

Seems to track very accurate until after about 500y worth of elevation, beyond that for every 4 moa wound on, you get about 5 moa of adjustment.

I'll shoot again to confirm... Inconvenient and perhaps one of those reflections of getting what you pay for. Bear in mind the scope is designed only to get a 223Rem out to only 600y so I am asking it to perform beyond intended purpose.

I'm pretty confident I can overcome this little inconvenience however and make it work reliably for me. I'm also interested to see how I can make the BDC dots on the reticle work for me.

View from the target frame back down to the shooting position. Nice on a calm day!

B79FFA02-9B05-465C-96D3-DADD87E6ABF4_zpsiaauie5g.jpg

Bob, you are doing great, those groups are outstanding. For a moderately priced rifle and scope you are doing great. !! :grin:

I think your doing very well Bob. That's pretty motivating.. That open space just begs for more shooting!

The open space allowing for such long range shooting is always enviable. Occasionally, I find a space close by, after a clear-cut. The trees grow back pretty quickly, however. There is more such space in other parts of the province, however. Certainly stimulates interest in shooting, however.

Other things have kept me away from this project for a few weeks, but earlier this week I got a calm day and took the rifle to my 750y range again.

An 8kph or so left to right breeze, and a clear day, and shot this nice 5-shot group at 750.... right at 5 inches.

2B961B8E-04C8-419B-AEAE-99CB618B601F_zpsibtyuyjl.jpg

Goes to show the old rifle has a good barrel and is well set up. I actually adjusted the trigger the next day and its now a little crisper and lighter so I think there is more left in the rifle, so say nothing of the improvement the operator needs to make!

Also shot the rifle at 600, 450 and 250 to check come-ups and groups were similarly pleasing.

If the weather stays good I hope to push it out to 900+ in the near future.

That's great shooting Bob... That shooting would make me smile. Way to go buddy.

Very good. Congratulations on some fine riflery and on a fine rifle.

Back