777 209 Primers

TScottW99

Handloader
Sep 14, 2007
Was wondering if anyone has tried the Winchester 777 209 primer? Was walking through Wal-mart today and they had them on clearance and grabbed a pack.

I have heard that they have a little less fire then the regular 209s. I have always thought that the regular 209s had a bit too much fire for my rifle. I get alot of blowback using the Winchester W209 primers.

I am planning on trying some new bullets during the off season anyway, might as well try some new primers :wink:

If Santa brings my chrono I'll post the differnce if any between velocities and groups.

TScottW99

I have heard the same about the 209 primers. I bought an Omega earlier this year so I am realitivly new to the 209 ignition concept.
I am using 120 gr 777 with a Nosler .451 cal 260 gr PT. Accuracy is ok but not great. About 1.5" at 100 yds.
In comparison to my M700ML with 100 grs 777, same bullet and a #11 cap I am shooting 1" groups at 100 yds.

I should try some different loads, primers etc to see if I can improve on the accuracy. The bullet will remain the same. I have one in a hind qtr of a deer that needs to get cut up. I will post pics of the bullet.
Last year, I shot a deer at a lasered 167 yds with the 700 and bullet performance was excellent. You might want to give them a try.
If you do, try shooting one into 6-7 milk jugs filled with water. When you see the recovered bullet, you will be sold.

Hope you have been a good boy and Santa brings you the chronograph. :grin:

JD338

Howdy. A hotter primer can leave a "burn ring" at the base of the barrel as well and makes it more difficult to seat a round. I have bin using the Rem Cleanbore muzzleloader 209 primers and they are not as hot as a standard 209 and have had good results it sounds like these win primers are made similar I would think they should do fine.
Joe

Thanks Joe. The regular W209 primers are blowing back and leaving a ring on my scope :shock: :lol: Can not wait to try these along with some new bullets.

Back