7mm-08 140 Grain Accubond Load Development

TBASTIAN

Handloader
Jul 1, 2006
Any suggestions for 7mm-08 pet loads using the 140 grain AccuBond? Have been running the 120 grain Barnes TSX out of my son's Ruger American Compact but I'm looking for something a bit softer for longer range shots. The 120 shoots 1/2"-3/4" out of this gun, but I have yet been able to get larger bullets to shoot very well out of it. Have tried the 139 Hornady Interlock SP, and the 140 Sierra GameKing BTSP but haven't been able to find a load that compares to the Barnes in the accuracy department. Hoping the AccuBond will be the ticket!

I developed a great load with RL17 and the 140 AB in my sons 7x57. I'd really look at it if I had a 7-08 I was wanting to work with. Remember to give that AB some jump. I'd unlikely start any closer that .050" and work back from there once you find the charge you like.

My RA shot 140 Accubonds very well using 42 grains of Varget at 2.805" OAL.

If you can find some Big Game buy it and we'll talk recipes.

P

I use the 139 BTSP with IMR4064 in my tikka 7-08 . if you have that powder it could be worth a try . RL17 should give you the best velocity , I use it with a 140 berger VLD hunting in another 7-08 .

TBASTIAN":3undj3hx said:
Any suggestions for 7mm-08 pet loads using the 140 grain AccuBond? Have been running the 120 grain Barnes TSX out of my son's Ruger American Compact but I'm looking for something a bit softer for longer range shots. The 120 shoots 1/2"-3/4" out of this gun, but I have yet been able to get larger bullets to shoot very well out of it. Have tried the 139 Hornady Interlock SP, and the 140 Sierra GameKing BTSP but haven't been able to find a load that compares to the Barnes in the accuracy department. Hoping the AccuBond will be the ticket!
try 140 tip w/RL 19 !

Check the bullet test section, myself and and least one other have put up some load data and results there. I like that combo alot-I am going to work up a 140ab and rl17 this spring and see if I can improve any

Thanks for the suggestions. Ended up getting to the range this morning and tested the following three loads:

46.0 grains of IMR 4350 with Federal 210 primers - 0.98"
45.0 grains of RL19 with Federal 210 primers - 1.10"
41.5 grains of RL15 with Federal 210 primers - 0.67"

I was pretty happy with the RL15 load pictured below.

Yeah, that should work. You might be able to tighten the group a tad. Still, it looks to be a fine hunting load.

That group looks pretty good and is hunt ready. Try seating the bullet deeper in .005" increments
(1/4 turns on the seating plunger), you should be able to walk the third one into the group.

JD338

Seems like those little 7-08's are so darned predictable. Great shooting rifle.

Thanks for the suggestion, JD338. Will try doing that at my next range session to see what I can get out of her.

I had such a good result with Ramshot Big Game that I stopped there. I have a Ruger Hawkeye in 7/08 and those 140 ABs and BTs shoot very well in it.

Back