7mm-08 and 160gr bullet

stew

Beginner
Feb 6, 2016
Any one shooting heavier bullets in there 7mm-08. Have one that seems quit finicky
A Remington 700LSS mountain rifle shoots the 145 BTSP fairly well, just got some 145 Speer grand slams so far nothing better then 2 inch So tried some 160 BTSP loads and found one that looks promising will be loading some more and see if they do the same.
Thanks

The 160 AccuBond has done well for me in several guns.
But.... I don't know why.... but I've never seen a 7mm that won't shoot the 154 hornady Spire Point well.

How about looking in the opposite direction? Many 7-08 shooters seem to favor the Nosler 120 Ballistic Tip.

Charlie-NY":35gixss1 said:
How about looking in the opposite direction? Many 7-08 shooters seem to favor the Nosler 120 Ballistic Tip.
I tried Barnes 120 and 140 There is a few other 140gr bullets may try yet,
was also thinking of Hornady 154 interbonds but don't no if can find any of those.
So far it seems to like boat tails style bullets.

You really don't need to spend the money on monolithic or bonded bullets for 7mm 08 speeds...Cup n core do great..... and they're cheap enough that you can get some extra practice.

kraky1":r32wvkmo said:
You really don't need to spend the money on monolithic or bonded bullets for 7mm 08 speeds...Cup n core do great..... and they're cheap enough that you can get some extra practice.

Sierra Gamekings are great bullets and cheap.

TackDriver284":2rwj5wed said:
kraky1":2rwj5wed said:

Sierra Gamekings are great bullets and cheap.
Yes I have never tried sierra bullets but see they have a 150 gr that might give a try.

7mm08 = Reloader17. This is the only powder I use for 140 VLDs , 154 SSTs , and 160 BTSPs.

RL338":2v9ibhdi said:
7mm08 = Reloader17. This is the only powder I use for 140 VLDs , 154 SSTs , and 160 BTSPs.
How does it shoot with the heavier bullets, I will try and get out one evening to try again and if shoots the same will be good. I use h4350 with the 145 but IMR 4831 was better with the 160 BTSP. Just not sure how it will be at any distance.

This is from 140 gr. VLD work up IMG_0634.JPG. This one is from 160 gr. BTSP overrun bullet I got from RMR IMG_0635.JPG. Both are my current loads I use. Before our rifle season this past year I shot the 140's at 100 yds to check zero on clean bore , first alittle high next 2 in one IMG_0636.JPG. The rifle is a Weatherby VS2 with a B&C Medalist stock. These loads hold .5 MOA at 600 yds. Maybe it is the rifle but it has been good to me. As always work up to these loads.

Find some Big Game. 47.5 grains, WLRM, 140 Partition.

image.jpg2_zpsjlfijzbq.jpg

Same load, different rifle.

image.jpg1_zpsp0ulflzr.jpg

Or maybe 150 ELD-X with Hunter.

IMG_0319_zpscxky8ryp.jpg

P

some very nice loads and groups there guys thanks for posting. The last 3 shot group I did with the 160 speers I could cover with a penny. I have to go back next week and see if it can be duplicated or close to it. A half grain more powder and it opened up to 2 inches. Its point of impact is 8 inches lower them the 145 speer.
So another question is which of those 2 is better for game say at 300 yds is there that much difference in bullet drop between the 2 when both are sighted in for 3 inches high at 100. I cant seem to find a good trajectory chart for them.
As mentioned have never tried sierras but for those that do which do you feel is the better bullet between them and Speer.
Thanks for your time.

Stew I used a 160 AB in a 7mm-08 with H414 that shot 1/2" MOA out to 600 yards, I later used VV N140 with a 168 SMK that was just as good. Most Winchester 308's I've tested did best with the 168-175 gr. bullets, so a 160 in a 7mm-08 isn't any different IMO. That same gun loved RL-15 with any 140 bullet BTW, but a heavy long bullet has its benefits even in that case! Don't over look it if it works!

I played with 168gr berger hunting VLD's in my 24" bbl 7-08 with RL17 powder . I couldn't get accuracy with a decent velocity . I probably should have tried a different powder , but I gave up and went to the 140 hunting VLD's with RL17 powder . I'm pleased with this 140 combo , it has speed and accuracy . for the price of a box of bullets you really should try 160's in your gun , you'll never know how this is going to work out until you try . I've thought about working with the 168's again in mine , just to see if I can make it work this time .

I may have stumbled onto a real nice load with the 162 eld-x and re 17 yesterday. It came out quite mild compared to quickload thinking but it always over-reacts to long bullets and the ELD X does not have a lot of bearing area for its length... going to reproof it before I get too excited. I have also been playing with ramshot hunter in the 7mmo8 and 30 odd 6 but I'm not real impressed with it it sure is dirty. It doesn't sound like the ELD X has been holding up worth a crap on any high-speed hits anyhow so mild is probably better with that good ballistic coefficient!

Back