7mm-08 Quick load data

Looks good. Saw 16 for sale yesterday. First time locally. I'll be interested in what you see for speed.

pharmseller":2z8gjqhn said:
Why the crimp?

P

It's going to be hunting ammo not bench ammo. Probably going to be handled a lot more than shot. I've never used a crimp before so I'll see what happens accuracy wise.

I don't reload for the bench either, it's all hunting and practice ammo. I was taught to avoid a crimp. Keep us posted.

P

I've crimped some and not crimped mostly. I couldn't tell the difference in accuracy. Some here do it for everything. Can't say I'd be against it using the Lee FCD.

desertcj":2shfallx said:
pharmseller":2shfallx said:
Why the crimp?

P

It's going to be hunting ammo not bench ammo. Probably going to be handled a lot more than shot. I've never used a crimp before so I'll see what happens accuracy wise.

Generally the crimp works with no mods to the recipe. Because of potential rough handling or recoil, consider full crimp. If the bullet moves in the neck due to recoil, you can effect accuracy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sorry guys, I will post some results as soon as I can but the weather turned south and hasn't let up.

Finally hit the combination of free time and good weather! First, I think the 4 power scope is quite underwhelming for load development. I found it very difficult compared to the 15 power I was using on my .243. The groups were all quite disappointing, hopefully mostly due to the 4x scope and/or my poor use of it.

I was able to get some load data confirmed. I don't think the RL16 is going to work for me. It seems to be pretty dirty? Lots of powder fouling in the bore. At 49gr, it was just over 2900fps with the 120 ttsx. 50gr may get it to 3000fps, but this would be a very compressed load.

The Varget seemed to burn cleaner and was very stable velocity wise at 45.5gr and 46gr. Those are both over max loads, but I don't think they are too crazy. 45.5gr was 3033fps average with a SD of 3fps! 46gr average was 3054fps again with a SD of 3fps! I'm going to play around in that area and possibly mount a scope with a higher magnification.

Try working up to 49 grains of Big Game powder with a magnum primer with the 120 TTSX. My Tikka loves this combination.

No crimp.

P

I just went back through my targets and RL16 had the best group of the day at 48gr or 48.5gr. Still too slow for me though and we are talking about a 2"-3 shot "Group". All these loads were with Rem 9 1/2M primers. I'm going to try the upper loads with BR2 primers and a scope with more power.

Oh yeah, these Barnes TTSX bullets are the worst copper fouled I've ever shot. I would love to shoot E-tips if they came in a 7mm 120gr or a 100gr!

Getting ready to do some more load work. I put a Bushnell Ultra HD 4.5-14 on the rifle and I have some 120gr TTSX's loaded over 49.5gr and 50gr of RL16. Also loaded 3 each, 45.5gr, 46gr and 46.5gr of Varget. I'll take the best load of these and then try some different seating depths. Planning on taking my 7mm-08 to Wyoming in October for antelope, so I have to get a load figured out! I have a real busy summer and fall coming up too. Archery deer season in August, need to do some scouting before then. Going to try and get my wife her first deer this year. I'm going to commit all of September to that and then bam... Oct is here!

@desertcj
I have a Tikka T3 in 7-08 and have found a sweet spot using Barnes TTSX 140g with Fed brass, Fed Match primer and 41gr AR2208/VARGET. I'll leave you to work out your COAL for your rifle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is from Barnes...
0f4c1e7c3fdafb7a8d02670d31ec3ed4.jpg

Thanks Ruralplural. I have that data and I'm 2 grains over listed max for the same velocity with Varget. 46gr for 3050fps. I have found that very common for Molly coated bullets though.

Nothing on the loads but I've got a friend running the 120 TTSXs out of his Mashburn at 3500. Said it is a slammer to elk and bear. Looking at the pictures it makes me scratch my head why I run such heavy bullets sometimes.

3050-3100 seems pretty danged wicked too.

desertcj":3da8brpd said:
Thanks Ruralplural. I have that data and I'm 2 grains over listed max for the same velocity with Varget. 46gr for 3050fps. I have found that very common for Molly coated bullets though.
Yeh sorry...posted that before I read the whole thread [emoji57] All good

Did some more load testing today. The new scope helped a lot! The picture should show most of the info. That is the only group worth mentioning. So, 46gr of Varget is going to be it. Now I am going to play with the seating depth. Thinking .030" off the lands, .060" and .090"? Should tell me something I would think.

Attachments

• 20170722_175435_1500772620961.jpg
    20170722_175435_1500772620961.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 2,788
Back