7mm-08 Remington powder suggestions.....140 BT and Accubond

waterboy411

Beginner
Jan 15, 2005
I am needing some suggestions for suitable powder for my Remington 700 CDL in 7mm-08 Remington caliber. 24" barrel. Will be using a Rem case, and have plenty of RL-19 on hand. Want to use either a 140 or 150 grain Nosler BT, or the 140 AccuBond. Thanks in advance. Howard.

RL-19 and or RL-22! I have seen well over 2800 fps with the 140's and no pressure signs

As I recall, Varget seemed to provide the best accuracy with the 140 gr Ballistic Tip for the 7mm-08 that I had. It was a 20" barrel Model 70 lightweight carbine, though. I imagine that 24" barrel might do better with a slower burning powder like 4350 or Reloder 19. With my 20" barrel, I was never that impressed with the velocity I was able to achieve. Sure was nice and light to pack around, though.

Try Reloader - 15. This powder has performed very well in medium sized and .204 Ruger cases.

My vote!

Thanks guys. I really appreciate your input. I have almost 3 lbs of RL-19 in my loading room, and will try that to start. I also plan to get a pound of RL-15 to try too. I think both should work well, or at least, that is my hopes. Thanks again, and keep the suggestions coming. Also, have any of you used the CCI 200 primer with success in 7mm-08? I have some of those, along with some Winchester WLR's :grin: to try. Thanks in advance. Howard.

one thing to keep in mind with rl-19 is that you may not be be able to get enough in the case to get suitable velocities[especially if you have to seat bullets real deep to fit mag.]im not saying it wont work-im just saying it might not-dave

I`ve had the best luck in two 7-08s with Varget and 140 gr bullets. R19 works well but the loads are compressed pretty tightly when you put enough in a case to get top velocity. Especially with 150 gr bullets. I`ve also had very good accuracy with IMR 4350 and seen a couple 708s that love 4064 and the 140 BT. I`ve stayed with Varget though and never tried 4064 in my rifles.
To be honest, if I was working up a load for a new rifle today, Varget or 4064 is where I`d look first.

I've got a Rem. model 7 with 20 inch barrel. I started out with Varget and never got to the other powders it shot so well.

Back