7mm-08

I got my son a 7-08 last year and he tipped over a very nice caribou this fall with it.

If there is a better low recoil choice for youth and ladies I simply don't know what it is.

Be aware when choosing bullets, many will be made for 7 mag speeds- in the milder 7-08 the softer bullets like the BT and PT will give more predictable results. In my son's rifle a 140r Fusion (Speer Deep Curl from what I can find out) failed to expand much if at all on a high lung shot. I think in that instance a fast stepping 120gr BT or the 140PT might have been a more effective bullet. It didn't matter though when the 2nd shot smashed the spine.

I don't think it gets much better (For game smaller than elk) than the 120 BT out of a 7mm-08 in a compact, lightweight rifle.

The 7mm-08 is my go-to cartridge. I've killed a bull elk, multiple mulies, and a speed goat with a stainless T3 shooting 140 Accubonds over 47.5 grains of Big Game, WLRM, chrono'ed right at 2850. Ranges from 68 to 300+ yards.

Recoil is very mild.

If I can't kill it with that combo it don't need killin.'

P

pharmseller":1ubpzhx3 said:
...with a stainless T3 shooting 140 Accubonds over 47.5 grains of Big Game, WLRM, chrono'ed right at 2850.
P

Yeah, my Rem700 270 pushes 140 grn Accubonds over 58 grns H4831sc at 2806 fps. stupid remington and their freebore. :mrgreen:

Back