7mm 120 Grain game performance

338 Ultra

Beginner
Aug 14, 2011
Shot a large muley doe this past sunday with this bullet out of my .280 Rem on the run at about 200 yards give or take a few yards. Muzzle velocity was measured when I worked up the load at an average of 3266 fps. Impact velocity should have been around 2800 fps or so. I am very impressed with what this bullet did it totally destroyed both shoulder blades entering and exiting and turned both lungs into red liquid goo. Never found the bullet or any fragments of the bullet when gutting or skinning. Exit hole on the off side was a perfect 3/4" round hole through the hide.

To say I am impressed with this bullet is an understatment ! I think it is tougher than its 140 grain sister but with only one animal taken so far I can't say for sure. Going for a whitetail buck this weekend so I am hoping to see what it will do on a 300 pound plus deer with more bone mass and just tougher in general.

PB170148_zpsd2024137.jpg

PB170153_zps039718d8.jpg

The 120 BT (I presume) is a micrograph of the 140 BT.

Here is my retrieved from a buck shot at 30 yards. Impacted at over 3000 fps and found in the off side shoulder.

Devastating performance. It'll work out for anyone willing to use them.

That's great performance for sure.. I have a few bags of them.. Might need to give them a whirl in my boy's 7mm Mauser..

My daughter will be using the 120 B-Tip this year in her 7-08, loaded down. We will hopefully post some pics of her first deer with it in a few weeks.

The 7mm 120 gr BT is a very robust bullet.
I does the job very well.

JD338

Smoked this bear with some 120 BT out of my 280AI as well. They are a dang fun little bullet.

Back