7mm 140 gr. partition

700 bdl

Beginner
Dec 12, 2004
Have any of you fellas used a 140 Partition in a 7 mag. I have been meaning to try them in my 7 saum and just ordered some from midway. I'll probably push them between 3150 and 3200 f.p.s. I'm sure they will work on deer, I was wondering how they will work on bigger game.

700 bdl,

I have used the 140 gr PT in my 280 Rem at 3000 fps to take WT deer from ranges of 30 ft to 300 yds. Always an exit hole from any angle.
I would use a heavier weight for bigger amimals like Moose and Elk.

JD338

I know a bigger bullet for bigger game would be wise, I was just wondering how a 140 Partition would work. My rifle seems to prefer the 140 gr. weight bullets.

I doubt that a moose or elk will notice a difference between a 140 gr and a 175 gr when it was thrown at him with a 7 saum. Shot placement is key to moose and elk anyway, so 25 grs of weight won't amount to a pee hole in the snow, particularly with a Partition.

Although I certainly don't condone it, I saw a moose weighed in last fall that was taken by a 14 year old boy with a 100 gr 243. His dad had a 30-06 for backup, but the kid got a good shot on the moose and it only went 75 yards before dropping , according to the father.

Blaine

A 7 mag with 140's will kill an elk plk out to at least 600 yards. Shot placement is key for sure. I have seen 1 guy take an elk at 750 yards with a 140g out of a 7 mag. IF it shoots them accurately I would not worry about the weight. It has enough to get the job b done when you do your job on the trigger end.

But the 160 gr PT or AB will give better penetration should you have
to take a quarting shot.

JD338

I have taken elk and/or moose with 140, 150 and 160 gr PT's out of a 7mm rem mag. On a broadside shot little difference can be made out IME but agree on a tough angle the larger grain size will lend itself to better penetration.

I personally wouldn't have any problems using a 140 Pt if it performed best on the range. However if I found a close to equal performer that was better suited, no question I'd take the insurance factor over a little less bullet drop!! Just my penny worth. :lol:

Back