7mm/.284 150 Nosler Partition

atmoshpere

Beginner
Jun 8, 2011
150 Nosler Partition fired into three 2.5 gallon chemical jugs filled with water at 100 yds.
Penetrated through jugs 1 and 2 and left a dimple on the back of jug 3.
For comparison, this same load at 100 yds went through 5 milk jugs and nicked the 6th on it's way out.

Estimated impact velocity: 2750 fps

Retained weight: 103.7 grains combined for 69% weight retention

Expanded diameter: .577 inches or 2.03 X caliber

284150Partitiontop.jpg

284150Partitionjpg.jpg

Looks sufficient for most any game I'd care to tackle. It certainly stood up to some severe stress.

The 7mm 150 gr PT looks good. It is often overlooked but it is a solid performer.

JD338

That's excellent performance. Typical PT performance. Just always works well. I think you have a winner there. Scotty

Thats exactly how the bullet is supposed to look!

Years ago, I shot a spike-elk at over 400 yards with a Rem. 7MM Mag, using this bullet. The bullet entered tight behind the right shoulder and was found in the left flank area. A penetration of over 40". DRT, yes sir.
Jim

JD338":26i8rfcg said:
The 7mm 150 gr PT looks good. It is often overlooked but it is a solid performer.

JD338

I think I may try the 150 PT's in my boys 7x57 for his big load. It really has a little more juice for SD/BC that should make a good 200-250 yard elk load for my boy. Scotty

I'd think the 150 would be a fine 200-250 yard bullet launched from your 7 X 57, Scotty. I'm focusing on this particular bullet in my newer .280, while continuing to focus on the 140 grain bullet in the older .280.

beretzs":1wimdsn3 said:
JD338":1wimdsn3 said:

JD338

I think I may try the 150 PT's in my boys 7x57 for his big load. It really has a little more juice for SD/BC that should make a good 200-250 yard elk load for my boy. Scotty

Scotty,

Excellent choice. I shot some out of my 280 Rem and recovered one from water jugs. It fell out of my shirt pocket while cleaning up the jugs and I never found it. It exactly like the one atmoshpere recovered. I still have a partial box and might try a few in the 280 AI.

JD338

Same load at 300 yds.
Est impact velocity: 2388fps
Retained Weight: 110.2 or 73.5%
Expanded Diameter: .700 or 2.5X caliber
Penetration: ~30"

Obviously I didn't shoot these while they were on the tailgate :mrgreen: Left a dimple on the back wall of the last jug; same as at 100 which I found interesting.
chemjugs300yds.jpg

Slightly higher weight retention than at 100yds, but still excellent penetration and expansion.
150NPT300yds.jpg

Looks pretty good to me ATM. That bullet is so overlooked by alot of 7mm guys. I am really wanting to try it out in my son's 7x57. Thinking it might be a good blend between the 140 and 160's... I have some 150 BT's to start with and when I find PT's on sale, I will try them too..

atmosphere,

Pretty impressive performance. Thanks for sharing.

JD338

I have taken a few goats with that bullet and the Sako 7mm rem mag

Having never played much with the Partition before this last year I have fast become an admirer. It might not be all new fangled or carry a BC to boast about but as others have already said, it gets the job done, whether it's 30 yards (this years spike elk) or 300. If I get to feeling my oats I may try to duplicate this test at 600 just to stretch it out some.

atmoshpere":4gsewro7 said:
Having never played much with the Partition before this last year I have fast become an admirer. It might not be all new fangled or carry a BC to boast about but as others have already said, it gets the job done, whether it's 30 yards (this years spike elk) or 300. If I get to feeling my oats I may try to duplicate this test at 600 just to stretch it out some.

That would be really great to see your results at 600 yards.

JD338

"Obviously I didn't shoot these while they were on the tailgate"

I dunno - some guys I know would think it a great idea... :mrgreen:

Back