7mm mag reloading

Sas874runner

Handloader
Oct 10, 2012
I my self am not a big fan of the 7mag. But a buddy wants some rounds built. Savage. 7Mm mag 111 accutrigger. From what I can figure out the barrel twist is a little tight for the smaller bullets. Is that just an opinion or has anyone had some experiance with loading this round. I am leaning towards the 160 ab. Any input is greatly appreciated

The Savage should have a twist rate of 1:9" which is plenty for most any bullet you would load in the 7mm Rem Mag.
The 160 gr AB is a great all around bullet. I would start with RL 22, it should get you where you want to be.

JD338

JD338 has given sound advice. The 7RM is a great cartridge that performs well on game throughout North America. For the individual with but one rifle, one could much worse than to have a 7RM.

Thanks. I have some rl19 that's not being used. Has anyone used rl19 for 7mag loads with decent success. My buddy is a terrible shot (and I mean horrible) so if anyone has used the rl19 with decent success I might start with that

Yes, I have used RL19. It can be an excellent powder with 160 grain bullets. I have not used it with ABs, but I have used it with Fail Safes, the TSX and with a variety of Hornady bullets.

Your savage should shoot from 90 gr to 175 without a hitch.
My load for everything is 66 gr rl 22 with the 160 AB.

I have been loading for the 7mm Rem Mag since 1963. I use either 160 Accubonds or Partitions. My powder is IMR 7828 SSC and Fed 215 MM primers, W-W cases. I get about 3050 fps and sub MOA accuracy.

I have been loading for the 7mm mag for over 25years.
The load I use now is 160AB over top of IMR 4350 :)
They are traveling @ approximately 3050fps.

PS Welcome to the forum.

Blessings,
Dan

R Flowers":1hhjpqqh said:
Fotis, where did you get that rl 66? I need to try some of that. :lol:

I make it in my basement!

I fixed the error. :mrgreen:

Sas874runner":73984ztt said:
Thanks. I have some rl19 that's not being used. Has anyone used rl19 for 7mag loads with decent success. My buddy is a terrible shot (and I mean horrible) so if anyone has used the rl19 with decent success I might start with that

My final load I settled on with my 7RM was with R19 and the 160AB. (700 LSS)

My son's actually likes RL-25 for accuracy, while not quite as fast on MV. I'm thinking a starting load of RL-19 be in the 57 gr. range. Someone else's load of the same powder, may or may not shoot the same in his.
But if your buds shoots as well as you say, accuracy of the load is better than speed, even though with either, he likely can't shoot the difference. May be, that the slightly less recoil of the 19, and in a starting load will help him. But sounds like more practice may be his only hope, or maybe something more in the 7-08 class be better for him?
When you get some loaded, take him to the range for testing. Make sure he is wearing hearing protection, and preferably both plugs and muffs. You load the gun with dummy/practice round so he don't notice. Watch him shoot,,,, my guess he flinches like a R 9 earthquake. If not, I don't know what his issues are with fundemantals, being not there watching him and his handling the firearm myself. But if so, leave the practice round in and place a dime on top of the barrel near the muzzle, and make him practice until he can keep the dime on the barrel for several tries. When switching to live ammo, he may still flinch at first with anticipation, but with the doubled up hearing protection, at least the blast is gone which should help a lot. Even with electronic muffs, I still teach with with plugs in also. Once they get use to the felt recoil, the blast in the field shouldn't be an issue. If that don't help, he either has severe trigger or other fundemental issues. Otherwise, he simply needs less gun or more practice, or both. Oh, and leave the dime on during live fire at first few,,,yes it will fly off at the shot, but it make him concentrate on his hold and placement at the same time. If it falls off before the shot, he is degraded back to the practice round. This generally makes them concentrate better and better shooters, in my experience. Bad shooting, is more the shooters fudementals, than recoil or the trigger quality. But one has start correcting bad habits some where, so I generally start with percieved recoil.
If you don't have a practice round, simple make one by cutting down an eraser, and stuff it in the primer pocket. Works great, and cheaper than buying them.

I have already tried to break him of his unreal flinch he has. I know the recoil is to much and he needs a smaller gun. He is afraid of his gun to the point he closes hs eyes and damn near balls up when he jams the trigger. Like I said i have tried to break him so many times I lost count. But he can pick up my 06 and drill sub moa all day without a flinch. He is just scared of the gun. By terrible shot I mean 10-12 inch pattern at 100 yards with at least 2-3 strays. Some of which don't even break paper.

Must be conscious of the Magnum nomenclature if he shoots the 06 well. They really aren't that much different on the recoild numbers. He playing headgames with himself, I can't think of any other reason, unless the stock don't fit right. Load it down some with that starting load of RL-19. And then tell him you don't have it loaded to the max.. Same speed with less bullet weight than the 06 might sink in mentally. He may just realize, it's not something to be worried about. It will still kill as far as he'll likely need. Those fundementals are as much mental as physical for the most part. That or trade it off for a .30-06 like yours.
Don't do no good if he can't shoot it, otherwise it's a waste of both your time's. But it's not uncommon what you say, and not really a fault per say.

FOTIS":2odlz3w4 said:
R Flowers":2odlz3w4 said:
Fotis, where did you get that rl 66? I need to try some of that. :lol:

I make it in my basement!

I fixed the error. :mrgreen:

Fottis.... for just a second there.... :shock: :roll: ya had me.... :wink: Just a second though...CL :)

Sounds as though he should be shooting an '06? I use both and there is not a lot of difference at normal hunting ranges. You just get a little flatter trajectory and a 165 gr, .30-06 bullet is not that far behind the 7mm Mag with modern loads to 300 yards.

Back