7mm Mashburn Super 150 ET RL26 and 175 PT H1000

SJB358

Ballistician
Dec 24, 2006
Well, I've been working with the 150 Etip a little in the Mashburn. Gotta say it's coming together fairly quick.

I think maybe a little deeper and I can call that one done. On to the 175 PTs :lol:

I got a new 8lb jug of H1000 and it's quite a bit slower than my old one. I was running 73 grains to get 3050. With new jug I'm up around 75 to get a touch over 3000. I'm not going to fight for 50 FPS as long as accuracy holds up, which I think it will.

So I have a touch more work but dang if this MSM isn't EASY. Just feed it a powder that's slowish and a decent bullet. It's a pretty cool hitter. Ol Art Mashburn got this one on the money! :mrgreen:

All very gratifying. Accuracy plus velocity! What's not to like?

That Mashburn is a shooter, it seems like H 1000 with almost any bullet just plain shoots well.

gerry":301ks20n said:
That Mashburn is a shooter, it seems like H 1000 with almost any bullet just plain shoots well.

Oh yeah. Pretty hard to stray from it for this rifle. Retumbo was very good as well.

Love the looks of the 175's Scotty, those would flat out wreck a deer or elks day thats for sure.

OU812":355plokn said:
Love the looks of the 175's Scotty, those would flat out wreck a deer or elks day thats for sure.

I think so Bill. Honestly the 160 AB was sorta like cheating, fast and a great bullet for the big 7. Thinking I'll give the 175's a shot this year.

Kinda settled on 75.5 of H1000. Going to try getting that 3rd shot into the other two. I believe it'll come together.

I am thinking that any one of them will do the job, as long as your spotter can tell which way the elk is facing (y)

Elkman":1zti8yfn said:
I am thinking that any one of them will do the job, as long as your spotter can tell which way the elk is facing (y)

Ha!!! Good point buddy. I'm starting to get excited to wrap this one up and get a bunch loaded and shoot it out at distance. Feels like Wyoming is just around the corner.

Scotty that MSM is a beast and will undoubtedly account for lots of animals in which tags hang. Will that be the elk rig come this fall?

I'm planning on taking the 7MSM, 35 Newton and 338 Win. Got a Wyoming and Oregon tag this year.

Can't wait!

Scotty, that 7mm of yours is going to take the wind out of something this fall and with authority when it hits :shock:!!
It is going to get busy here now for the next few months as I am going to start with my Son's model 70, 270wsm still have not decided what bullet we are going to play with but have been trying to decide between the 140gr. AB or those 150gr. Norma Oryx that were gifted to me (y).
I have seen some great results with the H1000 and the 7mm mag it has really got me thinking about changing up a few loads this fall.

Blessings,
Dan

Nice work Scotty! It looks like 74.5 had a tighter triangle then the rest? I wouldn't worry too much about the velocity since they look very close, at least for the 74.5, and 75.0 load. Which is what I like to see with increased powder charges, that tells me that's where the node is when I see a flattening of the velocity curve.

I always prefer to use a load that has as close to equal lengths of the triangle in the POI. It looks close, something just needs tweaking, or that may be as good as it comes together? It's always hard to know, is it the load, the bullet, powder charge, seating depth, even the primer? In load development after a while you'll have to settle with what it produces and run with it?

I used to try every bullet out there that I felt would work for its intended use? In the end I stopped doing that, and quickly worked through what was working, and settled with the load I felt the gun was capable of? Sometimes those bugholes just aren't going to materialize, and it boils down to a judgement call?

The Nosler Partition has been around for decades, and taken countless heads of game. It's a great bullet, I still use it in my 280 AI in that same weight. You're close to the node, and I wish I had an answer to pulling it all together? It's a combination of one of those factors, or maybe that's as good as it gets? It could be just the limitation of the gun itself, and I know how chasing down to make it better can be frustrating? But sooner or later you'll pick something a run with it.

Good luck buddy, I wish I could help you better figuring it out, but it's one of the factors or maybe not?

Something else I'd like everyone to look at is keeping a master target for a load. It's placed behind a new target over and over again when shooting that gun and load. What you'll see is more or less the true accuracy of the load in the gun, and that a mass hole developed where the bulk of the POI is.

Beyond that, I like to shoot single rounds at 1" dots on paper, and getting up from the gun between each shot, and each attempt to place the bullet as close to the dot with each shot. This will either change or not depending on your head position on the stock, and your body alignment behind the gun, and well as to load the bi-pod prior to shooting a round. Even the slightest difference in head position on the stock can change POI.

The gun does shoot the 175 PT well but I ran out of my old H1000 and the newer stuff is about 2.5 grains higher in order to get the same speed. I think it'll come back together. I'll work with it a little more but as long as it hovers around MOA or thereabouts it'll hunt.

Your 7 MSM is doing quite well, Scotty. Yeah, it'll account for game this year and for a long time after.

SJB358":22ohdl7f said:
I'm planning on taking the 7MSM, 35 Newton and 338 Win. Got a Wyoming and Oregon tag this year.

Can't wait!

Scotty your're going to need a golf bag to carry your rifles around. :lol:

I wonder if I'm really going to rifle hunt this year without my trusty 30-06. I would really like to bloody the 25-06 on a mule deer, and I may be carrying the 7 MSM for elk.

Rest assured the 30-06 will be somewhere nearby though!

I need more tags!

longrangehunter":35mum7go said:
Something else I'd like everyone to look at is keeping a master target for a load. It's placed behind a new target over and over again when shooting that gun and load. What you'll see is more or less the true accuracy of the load in the gun, and that a mass hole developed where the bulk of the POI is.

Beyond that, I like to shoot single rounds at 1" dots on paper, and getting up from the gun between each shot, and each attempt to place the bullet as close to the dot with each shot. This will either change or not depending on your head position on the stock, and your body alignment behind the gun, and well as to load the bi-pod prior to shooting a round. Even the slightest difference in head position on the stock can change POI.

your master target sounds kind of like what I do.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=33033

I don't always get up from my gun , but I do let go and move around enough that I need to get into position again .

Back